Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

INCREDIBLE deal on corn cob media

MoNsTeR

This is what I use:

Econoline

Blast Media, 40 Lbs, Corn Cob, 20/40 Grit

Read Reviews (21) Write a Review

$26.93 Free 3 Business Day Shipping

I always inspect, sort and deprime prior to cleaning. It doesn't pack in the primer pocket and doesn't get into the flash hole. The coarser corn should be at least as good.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just got my bag of corn media from this deal. I was using 12 grit walnut media which works great, but its a little dusty, this stuff so far looks pretty good. I've got about a thousand 40's tumbling as we speak with the new corn stuff, seems to be working ok so far.

• 2 weeks later...

When the cases come out covered in powder.

Even with a used laundry softener sheet or paper towels, at some point you will see that your corn is bacally black and there is a dusting of powder all over the cases.

I don't waste any money or time trying to extend the corn--it is checked and I start over with fresh.

Walnut not only gets dusty, but I have had a whole LOT of cases that came out of the big Dillon tumbler with walnut powder packed into the case. Had to hand scrape each one.

• 5 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Am I correct to guess the 20/40 is smaller than the 14/20?

Adam

Yes, 1000 micron vs 1400 micron. Never have to worry about it sticking in a primer pocket, unless it clumps.

Editted to add [unless it clumps]

Edited by LPatterson

Am I correct to guess the 20/40 is smaller than the 14/20?

Adam

Yes, 1000 micron vs 1400 micron. Never have to worry about it sticking in a primer pocket, unless it clumps.

Editted to add [unless it clumps]

Thanks, thats what I thought. I wanted to make sure I got the smaller size. The stuff I found locally was way too big.

Adam

• 3 weeks later...

I am thinking of placing an order but noticed the corn cob I have always used and got from my local shop was 1/8" grade and the two that drillspot offers are the next two sizes smaller. Would this be any issue? What should I expect from the smaller size?

Adam

So still a little confused on which to order the larger 14/20 or the smaller 20/40 grit? Placing an order once I find out the answer. Thanks Enos Forum Members!

Jeff

Edited by HotLoad

I sort, inspect, and deprime prior to case cleaning.

All I use is 20/40 corn.

Never had any pack in the primer pocket or lodge in the flash hole.

Tumbling for 30 minutes will remove any powder in the primer pocket, but not the black ash/stain. Tumbling for longer does not get the cases any "cleaner" or shinier.

• 2 weeks later...

just order a bag today!! nice info

Came in the next day,,!

I've ran 1200 cases thru it 2 weeks ago this it worked really well..today was on my 2nd bowl and change out the media,then dropped my 28 year old Lyman tumbler and snapped the fan motor blade off..

• 8 months later...

6 of one, half dozen of the other - Walnut hulls are harder and clean more aggressively than corn cob. Walnut cleans cases well and quickly, but may not put the best shine on your brass. Corn cob may take a little longer to clean, but it typically puts a great shine on the brass. It is really just a personal preference. Both work well.

A buddy and I split a box of the fine walnut hull from harbor freight, and it works great and doesn't get caught in primer holes. Stuff lasts almost forever, too. I ran out of corn cob which I sometimes use for putting a super shine on cases and was thinking of getting a bag of the 20/40 from drillspot, but dang...am not sure I want 40 pounds!

Thanks for the response. I have never used walnut shells myself, just wanted to know what the difference is.

Hmmm ... wonder what will happen if you do half and half from both types ... it'll clean faster and also shines? :)

Edited by Art Yeo

Thanks for the response. I have never used walnut shells myself, just wanted to know what the difference is.

Hmmm ... wonder what will happen if you do half and half from both types ... it'll clean faster and also shines? :)

Some people do indeed mix it. It supposedly works OK. For the ultimate in tumbled brass tumble in walnut for two hours then two hours in corn cob.

Walnut wears out faster than you may think. I keep a small cupful of new walnut shell on the bench to compare with what I am running through the tumbler. Once the sharp edges are worn off the cleaning ability drops way off.