Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Loading 9mm Costs per round

GlockOp

I wondered what it costs these days to load 9mm pistol rounds? I shoot and practice IDPA with my Glock 34 and want to try and get the costs down. Before I invest in a good loader, brass, Primers, Powder and bullets (@ $800 to $1000) I would like to know what the savings will be. I can buy once fired reloads from USAAmmo fr .18 cents per round. Any thoughts on this? I don't need a financial analysis, just what you are experiencing, cost per 9mm round as a re-loader.

Regards

Mike

To answer your question as direct as possible, 14 cents per round. Based on what I can buy Win White Box 115FMJ, they cost me 26 cents per round retail.

A lot will depend on which Powder/primers, how much you load in them, did you pay shipping, did you pay hazmat fees, but to give you a rough idea, my personally, this is what I have show so far for my setup:

Loading Zero bullets 125FMJ, with 4.3gn Titegroup

Standard box of 50 or 100 Winchester White Box at local Academy Sports: $13.50 or $25.99, so based on these numbers figure $260/1000

My reloads, using the 1x fired brass I bought online a few months back, $142.64/1000.

If I use the 1x fired brass that my buddy gave me for free, $121.21/1000

So you can see that either way, if you're loading in large qtys, you can save a lot of money.

More info

My calcs were based on 8# jug of TG bought at Gunshow for $120, and Win Primers for $150/5000 bought at Gun show, so no tax, and no shipping, and no hazmat.

Also, you mentioned buying brass for .18 per piece. That is STEEP. I'm sure it's good stuff, but start scrounging at your local range, start picking up EVERY piece of brass that comes out of your gun, and then look on websites like the Classifieds here on Enos, or www.thehighroad.org, or www.firingline.com, I got mine from one of those two, can't remember which. You will save a lot of money if you can get a bunch of brass, and then hold on to it, make sure you pick it up after you fire it.

Hope this helps.

Thanks to all for your replies all were very helpful. Need to clarify one thing, I buy fully reloaded shells for 18 cents apiece. www.usaammo.com Sounds like I could save about 4 cents per round by reloading myself after spending 7 to 8 hundred on loading equipment. I also think there is some satisfaction to loading your own, but it is time consuming.

Edited by GlockOp

These are real cost. I only bought 500 of the Precision bullets, they can be loaded cheaper. The other bullets were purchased in lots of 1000.

Clays 3.7gr Zero 125gr JHP .12726

Solo 1000 3.5gr Precision Bullets 147 .13772

Solo 1000 4.0gr BBI 130gr .11058

Thanks to all for your replies all were very helpful. Need to clarify one thing, I buy fully reloaded shells for 18 cents apiece. www.usaammo.com Sounds like I could save about 4 cents per round by reloading myself after spending 7 to 8 hundred on loading equipment. I also think there is some satisfaction to loading your own, but it is time consuming.

Not everybody likes to reload, that much is true. If I didn't reload I could not shoot half as much as I do. I buy in bulk and load 9mm for about 11.5 cents a round. But reloading is also an extention of my shooting hobby. I don't count how much time I spend doing it and I don't really keep track of how much I spend on it either. If I did that I might not shoot at all. For instance every match I shoot I spend $15-20 for match fees, about $15 bucks worth of ammo, about $20 in gas, And another $10 or so at lunch with the guys.

Trust me, it ain't cheap, so I don't think about it. I try to do bulk orders that last me at least a year that way I can convince myself the ammo is free!:goof:

I load 9mm major for $0.15 a round, buying once fired brass and not picking it up.

+ .99 my cost for 9 major is $0.147 buying once fired brass and using Zero RN 124gr.

11 cents each if you are recycling your brass and 13 cents each for buying once fired brass in bulk.

Important caveat here:

You need to be willing and able to always load safely, with your full attention on what you're doing, and to not get out on the edge in terms of how hot the load is.

No amount saved in ammo cost or potentially improved ammo is worth a serious injury if your ammo blows up and takes part of you or somebody else with it.

Since I am learning to shoot IDPA Meets, is there and advantage to loading my won to get a round that works well for a specific sport?? I think it makes it much easier to expend the funds for a good loading set=up if there is a small competitive gain.

Not everybody likes to reload, that much is true. If I didn't reload I could not shoot half as much as I do. I buy in bulk and load 9mm for about 11.5 cents a round. But reloading is also an extention of my shooting hobby. I don't count how much time I spend doing it and I don't really keep track of how much I spend on it either. If I did that I might not shoot at all. For instance every match I shoot I spend $15-20 for match fees, about $15 bucks worth of ammo, about $20 in gas, And another $10 or so at lunch with the guys.

Trust me, it ain't cheap, so I don't think about it. I try to do bulk orders that last me at least a year that way I can convince myself the ammo is free!:goof:

I like your attitude Kevin. Gives me a good perspective on reloading and the sport.

Regards

Mike

I'm at about $100 per K using fee range brass.

$8.50 for enough Titegroup for 1,000

$30.00 for Federal Primers

$56.00 for Extreme plated 125's. (price from a group buy over 25,000 bullets)

Powder and primer price include $40.00 in shipping and hazmat for 8lbs powder and 10,000 primers.

Edited by TMC

First things first, we need to set your expectations accordingly. And this is what I tell everyone that gets into reloading...

You do NOT get into reloading to save money. Feel free to tell your wife that to help justify the cost BUT, you need to know, any savings goes right back into components, so to be honest with yourself you need to know that you get into reloading so you can shoot more.

As soon as you can accept this, the happier you'll be. :devil:

Got the brass and get my lead for no cost. Excluding ALL the time involved, I can shoot 9MM for 3.5 cents per round, again excluding my time and the cost of the reloading and casting setup. 3 cents for a primer and about 1/2 cent for powder, not too bad.

Edited by John Z Sr