Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

mossburg 930

benny hill

If you hit the bolt release with the bolt forward you will most likely have 2 shells come out of the mag and since only about 1 and 1/4 shells fit in he receiver you can't cycle the bolt to clear. With a welded lifter is takes some work and possible disassembly to get the shells out. With the stock lifter you can access the second shell and push it back in the mag to keep going. While this may not happen often it is a definite advantage of staying with the stock lifter. Not to mention opening up the loading port accomplishes the same result and allows you to more easily catch the shell catch. Without porting forward you have to stick your thumb into the receiver to get the shell to catch the latch=slower.

David E.

I agree with your point that it is slower, but just slightly. For me the advantage of the extended lifter every load out weighs the possibility of a accidental double feed. I have had a double feed with and without the extended lifter and both are a pain to correct, especially on the clock. With the extended lifter, i just reach in from the top and push the second shell back into the tube.

A slot cut in the extended lifter would be a good idea also.

Better yet - don't do like i do and push the stupid button with the bolt closed.

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I finally received my Mossberg 930 24 inch ported gun from CTD, and was really happy with the weapon. For a cost of $39, plus $20 in shipping, and $20 for the FFL, it is really a tough bargain to pass up. I added another $170 for a Choate 5 round tube, Limbsaver recoil pad, Choate bolt lever, and a Nordic barrel clamp. Add $15 more for some .008 metal stock and high temp heat paint for a cover of the porting, I feel this is as good a starting shotgun deal as can be had.

The gun came with a front green fiber optic sight, about 1.5 inches long, and also included the red dual tube fiber sight on the rib. I did not know the gun cam with them, and I have to admit the ability to line up a sight picture is vastly improved. The Limbsaver does take some modification to fit, but it does the job. Went to the range and ran three different loads and fired the unit as fast as I could, had zero mis-feeds, the slug I tried were Remington Sluggers, 1 oz which do have some bite. The gun shot right at 3 inches high at 50 yards, but with the 10 degree temperature outside, we will sight it in later with the reduced recoil rounds.

I made one mistake with this purchase, I was reminded I am getting long in the tooth, realizing I still have not gotten used to plastic stocks.I will replace the factory stock with wood when I find some used pieces out there, at least with the Mossberg style plastic, it does not have a comfortable checkering pattern on the forearm, and really bothered me. Maybe it adds weigh, but always stay with what you are comfortable with, there are certainly enough distraction on the competition field without that being an issue.

Oh, yes, the infamous lifter issue. Had I not been the beneficiary of these posts, I would be typing sans one thumb since I certainly would have torn mine off and lost it in the snow. Even being aware of the problem, trying to reload fast was not in the cards, that lifter reminded me of its presence each and everytime. As I asked in another post, where do I send the lifter to in order to get it welded up quickly? That is without a doubt a mandatory modification for the majority of shooters. That or perhaps there are aftermarket lifters available?

All in all, a great deal, and a great starting point to learn the art of this game. Being this is only year two, there is a lot of room for growth, learning, and incredible levels of fun.

Edited by mont1120

^^^^^^looks like the forearm is shaved too. That looks sweet!

Except for the holes in the molded forearm.

For that kind of money I would have thought they would have

filled them somehow.

Those are "speed holes" kinda like the dimples on a golf ball.

Gang,

Just received my 24' non-ported barrel today and I've started the conversion of my SPX. Dumb question, but what are other SPX owners doing with the holes in the receiver when removing the rail? Wondering if there are any OEM-ish screws that will work?

Gang,

Just received my 24' non-ported barrel today and I've started the conversion of my SPX. Dumb question, but what are other SPX owners doing with the holes in the receiver when removing the rail? Wondering if there are any OEM-ish screws that will work?

You can probably get them from mossberg, I know they are flush on the non spx versions.

The Turkey model is drilled and tapped for an optic mount.

It has small (single straight slot) screws filling the holes.

I would imagine short allen screw would work also.

Mine came loose after a few hundred rounds so I used red loctite on them, no more problems.

Whatever screw you put in the holes make sure they don't extend into the receiver enough to hit the bolt.

There was a post some time ago about someone having swapped the screws and they were hitting the bolt. I seem to recall one screw is longer than the other because of the material available in the receiver at different locations.

If you’re handy, you could make your own screws from a bolt of the correct thread, cut to the right length and slot the top. This would be harder to remove than I hardened allen/set screw which is what I would use.

In this case red loctite is your friend.

David E.

Gang,

You can use Positive Stop Plug Screws, they are made for that very purpose.

Thanks RAS and Nuke . . . one last question, does anyone know what size these screws are by any chance?

Hmm, I took my rail off my 930 SPX when I put the non-ported 24" barrel on it an never plugged those little holes. Is it necessary?

Thanks RAS and Nuke . . . one last question, does anyone know what size these screws are by any chance?

Hmm, I took my rail off my 930 SPX when I put the non-ported 24" barrel on it an never plugged those little holes. Is it necessary?

Answer: Gee, since I've shot hundreds of rounds thru it I guess not! (Oh, wait, someone I beat on a shotgun stage may say I had a ported receiver!) :roflol:

Just wanted to say what has already been said....Steve (GunCat) at RAS could not have been a better guy to deal with when it came to threading my 930 barrel for chokes. The work was beyond reasonably priced, very well done, and the turn around was super fast. Thanks GunCat!

Went out today to finally test out the 930. Ran 100 rounds through it without a problem. Ran great and aimed good with the slugs I tried also. Best 500 bucks I ever spent! And weighs much less then my buddys fnh.

saw the JM 930 at shotshow and order two of them :) They are shipping soon. Mossberg said I should see them in the next few weeks.

Are you getting them that soon because you ordered them at the show, or will this be available to the general public in the next few weeks?

Would one of the JM models put me in a different class, ie tactical vs open?

I need to upgrade to an automatic shotgun and don't want to go open with my handgun yet, otherwise I'd be all over the MKA 1919. It seems like the JM 930 is the way to go for the price, just not sure which one to pick.

Are these readily available? What are the different models actually selling for?

No, left in stock trim it would be tac-optic.

I need to upgrade to an automatic shotgun and don't want to go open with my handgun yet, otherwise I'd be all over the MKA 1919. It seems like the JM 930 is the way to go for the price, just not sure which one to pick.

Are these readily available? What are the different models actually selling for?

No they are not yet in dealers hands. MSRP is $710.00 Expect them to sell in the $500-600's online.

No, left in stock trim it would be tac-optic.

No they are not yet in dealers hands. MSRP is $710.00 Expect them to sell in the $500-600's online.

So you can load 8 in the magazine of the 24" version and not be put in open, even though the magazine can hold more?

Edited by sbpt1911