Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

mossburg 930

benny hill

Are you running a JM Pro or the 24" ported Turkey gun that comes with those sights?

JM Pro 22", the HiViz are add ons. I've run a set on my 1100 for the last 2 years without issue.

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/316434/hiviz-sight-set-mossberg-winchester-shotguns-fiber-optic-green-rear-interchangeable-red-and-green-front

The reason I asked is because my turkey sights (Allen makes them I think) that came factory on the turkey 24" barrel always shot really high too. Even turned all the way down. I had to aim at the bottom ring or stand of a steel target.

The two JM Pro's I have fired have both been POA w/ shot but we haven't put slugs through them yet.

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have a 24" barrel on a Field model and I was very high & left with slugs. I whined to Mossberg and they sent me a replacement HiViz set like that. I had to lower it all the way off the ramp to get a reasonable POI.

Are you running a JM Pro or the 24" ported Turkey gun that comes with those sights?

JM Pro 22", the HiViz are add ons. I've run a set on my 1100 for the last 2 years without issue.

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/316434/hiviz-sight-set-mossberg-winchester-shotguns-fiber-optic-green-rear-interchangeable-red-and-green-front

I just put those on, I was able to hit a target at 100 yds at a recent match on first shot.

Only problem is front sight does move side to side if you try to move it. For some reason the width is slightly larger then vent rib. I did not have to take off barrel to slide on, like instrucions said.it is the model for mossberg, Maybe this vent rib is skinnier then standard 930?

But as long as you don't hit it it doesn't move on its own.

Would it be possible to shim the sight so that its a little tighter?

My HiViz FO front I bought for my Remington 1100 came with 3 or 4 different bases. One of them fits perfect on my 930 Turkey and 930 JM Pro and does not move or slide.

That's exactly what I was thinking. It definitely is a good set, so id like to figure out a way to do that. The magnets are strong and the rear is screwed on.

On another point how possible is it to get a non rifled barrel to be consistent in where it impacts ?

That's exactly what I was thinking. It definitely is a good set, so id like to figure out a way to do that. The magnets are strong and the rear is screwed on.

On another point how possible is it to get a non rifled barrel to be consistent in where it impacts ?

I placed a 1/8" aluminum shim under my front sight (Hi-Vis 3 dot). That allowed me to use the adjustment ramp on the rear sight and got my head up a little bit. I had been using an ATS sight and was used to a higher sight.

As to accuracy with slugs - try different ones. I'm running the 24" unported barrel and have had groups of three touching at 50yds with Wolf. Seems like each gun and shooter has a preference for a particular slug.

Is it legal in tac ops to simply attach the hi viz sights for slug portion of match, then remove them for normal shotgun cof, and would this process mess up poi?

Thanks in advance,

Mark

My barrel is the turkey model with the open ports on the top. I did add the metal band around the barrel to cover those ports up so I am not in open class. I had seen somewhere that you needed to watch where you mount the barrel clamp for the tube extension, so that might be the next test. Then I will try another choke, mine is extended. In addition, I ordered the Tru Glo fully adjustable deer sites to see if I can get that to work.

If all else fails, I will buy the dreaded Benelli. Downright heresy.....................

The reason I asked is because my turkey sights (Allen makes them I think) that came factory on the turkey 24" barrel always shot really high too. Even turned all the way down. I had to aim at the bottom ring or stand of a steel target.

The two JM Pro's I have fired have both been POA w/ shot but we haven't put slugs through them yet.

I was able to get to the range this evening and test fire after installing the .250 down spacer...still shooting high right at 50 yards BUT only about 8 inches high now instead of the original 12-14inches high and 8-10 inches right. I was able to correct for the slugs hitting right, although there is no more vertical adjustment in the sight, the POA/POI difference is manageable enough that I'm going to run with it as is. I'll just hold low at the bottom of any plate 75yds and in, POI should equal POA around 100yds and start dropping off from there.

For reference I have the barrel clamp installed in the same location as it came from the factory and torqued to 25lbs. I'm shooting Remington low recoil slugs (because they are the easiest for me to find in my area) through the factory MOD choke tube. I haven't checked shot POA/POI yet but had no issues during a match last Sat.

Wonder if moving barrel/mag tube clamp forward of factory position will lower poi as seems to pull the 2 together, in effect pulling barrel down. Pulling down closer to muzzle might lower poi. Reset mine but have not tried it. Last range session sbowed shooting high at 50 yards with saboted slugs. I know they are designed for rifled tubes but that all i have presently.

Wonder if moving barrel/mag tube clamp forward of factory position will lower poi as seems to pull the 2 together, in effect pulling barrel down. Pulling down closer to muzzle might lower poi. Reset mine but have not tried it. Last range session sbowed shooting high at 50 yards with saboted slugs. I know they are designed for rifled tubes but that all i have presently.

The barrel is steel, and the mag tube extension is aluminum. ;)

True, but tension, regardless of the source will have some effect on poi. That is why rifle barrels are often free floated, even in wooden stocks.

They are free floated to prevent interference of the barrel's harmonics... which affects accuracy. The thin walled aluminum mag tube extension is going to loose any tension contest against that steel barrel

That said. The spacing between the tube and barrel should be consistent and spaced properly with the clamp. There shouldn't be very much tension caused by the clamp.

Barrels on AR15 are free floated not only to prevent interference of the barrel harmonics, but also to prevent sling tension or bipod from changing poi.In an ideal world with perfect machining and tolerances I agree there should not be much if any tension, but in my 930JM it takes quite a bit of force to bring the barrel and tube close enough to attach the clamp, because they are not spaced apart same as holes in clamp, and are not parallel. Can be seen with clamp off. That force affects both items. No doubt the steel barrel deflects less than the tube, but the force is still there, and may have some effect on point of impact.

Edited by mpom

Tighten the mag tube, then loosen it at the nut, not at the end of the existing mag tube. Bout 1/4 turn is all you need. Then, tighten clamp. Little give in the mag tube makes no stress on barrel. Put clamp in same place every time and the POA/POI won't change.

Edited by outerlimits

If the front sight worries you, you could use a set that has a front sight attached with a screw:

Tru-Glo TG950

1053-0187.jpg

http://www.hinterlandoutfitters.com/truglo-tg950-trubead-universal-turkey-sight-p-17267.html

Best price I've seen, even with shipping.

Realize the discussion is about slugs, but can this set up be used effectively for the shot portion, and if not,

does anyone remove the rear sight during a match?

Mark

Mine shoots Winchester 1oz @1600 fps slugs 8 inches high @ 50 and 100 yds with perfect windage.

center A Zone POA gives head shot impacts.

Same here except im about 10" high (perfect windage). This is with the -0.25 installed. A few guys i talked to at the last match

Said the same thing.

With federal low recoil add another 3" high and 7" right. Will not be using those again.

I'm thinking about getting one of these. What spare parts will I need to keep on hand to keep it running? Are parts even available yet?

I can't find this gun on Mossburg's website.

I'm thinking about getting one of these. What spare parts will I need to keep on hand to keep it running? Are parts even available yet?

I can't find this gun on Mossburg's website.

Only way you get spare parts is to buy a second gun