Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

mossburg 930

benny hill

So you can load 8 in the magazine of the 24" version and not be put in open, even though the magazine can hold more?

It depends how the rule is stated:

- Shotguns cannot hold more than 9 (8+1) rounds = put a plug in the mag tube to limit capacity to 8 (+1); USPSA rule I think.

- Shotguns cannot be loaded to more than 9 (8+1) rounds at any time = you can have more capacity but risk loading an extra round and taking a procedural

- Shotgun cannot hold more than 9 (8+1) rounds at the start = start with 9 with the ability to load more than 9 in the gun after the buzzer.

Different opinions on this but for matches that allow you to use the extra capacity you have more options such as; 1) loading shells immediately after the buzzer (if you have to take steps to the first shooting position this can be a plus) 2) Easier to count rounds; if you load in 4s, shoot 4 load 4 or shoot 8 load 8; you can be off on your shell count a round or 2 and not run the gun dry or be trying to stuff shells in a full gun.

So to answer your question; you can limit the magazine capacity by installing a plug (wooden plug, plastic plug, tree limb, etc.) The "Plug" physically limits the follower from moving fully forward, most are just wooden dowels.

David E.

Edited by Nuke8401

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On capacity – from the 2010 USPSA Provisional Rules:

USPSA MultiGun Open Division

Max. number of

rounds in magazine

10 rounds +1 for

loaded start

USPSA MultiGun Limited Division

Max. number of

rounds in magazine

8 Rounds +1 for

loaded start

USPSA MultiGun Tactical Division

Max. number of

rounds in magazine

8 Rounds +1 for

loaded start

It appears all limits are at the start, after the beep, do as you wish.

From IMGA Rules:

International Multi-Gun Association

Match Rules [revised 09-25-03]

6. Firearms Classifications [Open Class, Tactical Class Iron or Scoped, Heavy Metal

6.5 Shotgun - Open Class

6.5.3 Magazine tube length shall not be changed for the duration of the match.

6.6 Shotgun - Tactical Class

6.6.3 Barrel length may not exceed 22 inches.

6.6.8 Magazine tubes may not exceed 23 inches in length.

6.6.10 No shotgun in tactical class may start a stage with more than 9 rounds total in the shotgun.

Not sure if these are still used as they are stated. If so, my 24" barrel would put me in open! :angry2:

Edited by Mark Woodfield

From IMGA Rules:

6. Firearms Classifications [Open Class, Tactical Class Iron or Scoped, Heavy Metal

6.5 Shotgun - Open Class

6.6.10 No shotgun in tactical class may start a stage with more than 9 rounds total in the shotgun.

Not sure if these are still used as they are stated. If so, my 24" barrel would put me in open! :angry2:

I don't know if there is a golden set of IMA rules but the most recent ones I saw are on the Rio Salado SMM3G website. This is what it says about tactical shotgun:

5.3.4 Shotgun

5.3.4.1 Only tubular magazines are permitted.

5.3.4.2 Electronic sights and optical sights are prohibited.

5.3.4.3 Supporting devices (bipods, etc.) are prohibited.

5.3.4.4 Barrel devices designed/intended to reduce recoil or muzzle movement (e.g. compensators, barrel porting) are prohibited.

5.3.4.5 Speed loading devices and/or detachable box magazines are prohibited.

5.3.4.6 Not more than nine (9) rounds total may be loaded at the beginning of any stage, unless otherwise stipulated in the stage briefing.

Seems like a longer tube is just fine...

Later,

Chuck

From IMGA Rules:

6.5 Shotgun - Open Class

I don't know if there is a golden set of IMA rules but the most recent ones I saw are on the Rio Salado SMM3G website. This is what it says about tactical shotgun:

5.3.4 Shotgun

5.3.4.1 Only tubular magazines are permitted.

5.3.4.2 Electronic sights and optical sights are prohibited.

5.3.4.3 Supporting devices (bipods, etc.) are prohibited.

5.3.4.4 Barrel devices designed/intended to reduce recoil or muzzle movement (e.g. compensators, barrel porting) are prohibited.

5.3.4.5 Speed loading devices and/or detachable box magazines are prohibited.

5.3.4.6 Not more than nine (9) rounds total may be loaded at the beginning of any stage, unless otherwise stipulated in the stage briefing.

Seems like a longer tube is just fine...

Later,

Chuck

My info came from here - http://www.3gunrules.com/documents/multi-gun-rules/img-rules/img-2003-basicrules.pdf

It does say 2003 so it may be outdated. I think the 22" rule is no longer used. If there is a newer version of the IMGA rules, i wish they would take this page down or fix it. I'm confused enough already!!! :wacko:

In the sake of clarity and redundancy, is there any reason to pick one of the JM models over the other, other than 1 extra round capacity?

I can't see where two inches of extra length would pose a problem. I can think of several good things about being able to have an extra round or two.

In the sake of clarity and redundancy, is there any reason to pick one of the JM models over the other, other than 1 extra round capacity?

Depends on match rules. The match rules over in Durham, NC require 22" barrel or shorter. That may well be the minority, I don't have enough experience to be able to say.

Edit: the 2012 rules have edged up to 24". Over that puts you into Open at that monthly match.

Edited by michael1778

I emailed Mossberg yesterday to see when they were going to start shipping them. So far, no reply. Im not sure why companies wait until they have XXX amount of a product before they begin shipping. Hell, If I had 10, ready to go out the door, I would put them out the door, that would satisfy the 10 that got them, but would also excite the people waiting, now that everyone knows its a real product and "AVAILABLE", I just have to wait my turn, rather than wondering if it will be this year and take my money somehwere else.

It's a good shotgun. If it hits in March or April, it would be worth waiting for to me. You can always put together yout own, if you find a 930 at a decent price. I got mine for $360 ("floor model")and added the barrel, tube, and knob for around $280 or so. So far, the extended safety has not seemed necessary. Mine has run 100% to date on all variety of shells.

I did the "shim stock covering the ports" thing and it seems to be working, that's a budget alternative. I'll probably get a 24" later on when I start competing but for now I'm happy, and it only cost $1.

Matt

What does this consist of? pictures?

I've got a 24" barrel, but I've also got a 28 inch I may lend to a friend.

For you Open 930 guys, just installed a Benelli M1 chute, which required two modifications.

EDIT -- I stated that I used an Arredondo M1 chute on a Mossberg 930 open build, when I actually used an M2 chute. I don't want to steer people in the wrong direction. -- EDIT

Drilling and tapping mounting holes, I used 10-24 screws, 1/2" length is perfect. One of the holes gets into the M of Mossberg, you want to start the hole with a proper spotting center drill so it doesn't wander out. I disassembled the gun for drilling, don't be fooled by the pictures and think I did that with the bolt and trigger in-place.

IMG_1699.jpg

IMG_1700-1.jpg

The other mod is to the grip, to add clearance for the speed loader. I used my die grinder and a carbide burr.

IMG_1706.jpg

IMG_1707.jpg

All done.

IMG_1709.jpg

Edited by Flexmoney

For you Open 930 guys, just installed a Benelli M1 chute, which required two modifications.

Drilling and tapping mounting holes, I used 10-24 screws, 1/2" length is perfect. One of the holes gets into the M of Mossberg, you want to start the hole with a proper spotting center drill so it doesn't wander out. I disassembled the gun for drilling, don't be fooled by the pictures and think I did that with the bolt and trigger in-place.

IMG_1699.jpg

IMG_1700-1.jpg

The other mod is to the grip, to add clearance for the speed loader. I used my die grinder and a carbide burr.

IMG_1706.jpg

IMG_1707.jpg

All done.

IMG_1709.jpg

I'm pretty sure that outer limits had some pictures of an open 930 that Benny did earlier in this thread.

I'm pretty sure that outer limits had some pictures of an open 930 that Benny did earlier in this thread.

He did, and it was just pictures. I'm trying to highlight some of the actual details for others wanting to build a gun. I've seen these same questions in a few other threads related to fitting a loading chute on a 930 for Open use.