Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

mossburg 930

benny hill

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How far foward are the ports on the 28" barrel? Would cutting it to 24" eliminate the ports?

Yes, you'll need to cut off 4" (or more in 2" increments) to eliminate the ports and match up with a rib post. I have cut several 28" ported barrels to a 22" or 24" OAL.

I Shoot Open Div. I just replaced my 18.5" on my SPX with a 24" ported Accu Choke barrel. Other than a ported barrel putting me in the Open Div, is there any other reason not to have ports?

Can anyone tell me exactly which Nordic tube I need to order to increase my capacity to 10+1 verses the 7+1 I have now?

Should I bother to have my 18.5" barrel choked? If I add a Extended choke to this barrel will it shoot like a 20" barrel?

Has anyone shot slugs through a Mossberg modified choke? The paper work state's "no slugs".

Thanks for your input.

You know I can not help but think, who was the "brilliant" engineer that decided these should only come with a ported vent rib barrels? Do other brands offer only ported barrels from the factory?

Sure they have sold a few more barrels to those willing to dick around, but after looking through this thread and others it is pretty clear they would have a MUCH larger new customer base if people could just buy the 24" in a non ported configuration from the factory.

Because these guns were not made for the minority of competition shooters, they were made predominantly for hunters and defense. And what hunter or defense shooter wouldn't want a gun with less muzzle flip?

Mossberg has done us a favor and produced a 24" non-ported barrel and is in the process of producing a out-of-the-box Competition ready gun with a non-ported barrel. It's just not moving as fast as some of us would like. Myself included. :blush:

I'm one who doesn't like porting. I refuse to buy a ported anything. Hunting and defense is all I have bought for so far. That might change soon.

I'm curious about the no slugs statement. Was that for the barrel itself or was it made about a specific choke?

It was stated on the back Mossberg package that had the "modified" flush choke in it.

Thanks for clearing that up for me.

Anybody have any advise on extending the lifter?

I have some spares (don't ask how, but thanks Joe!). I was working on using one to extend another but not sure about how to do the welding. I have a mig welder but it is a new process for me and i don't want to screw it up.

WOW. Is that for them to order it from their distributors and add their mark-up or is that their FFL transfer fee for you to order it online and have them do a transfer? The FFLs in my area are starting to get a little greedy w/ their transfer fees. I used to pay 10.00 per transfer then went to 15 and now up to 25 in less than two years. I will usually try to buy local. But, I am usually pretty specific about what gun I want and will purchase online if my local guys can't get what I'm after. I don't mind paying my locals a little more than online price if they can get the gun in a timely manner. But, when they start talking 2 or three months to get one and I can get it online right now and at a better price, then I'm sorry. Some of them can get a real attitude when you even ask them about doing tranfers.

Any advice on which stores might carry a 930WF in stock? I've had zero luck in finding one around Louisville (Bass Pro, Dick's, Walmart, independents) and most of the local FFLs want $100+ more than online sellers to order one.

Matt

WOW. Is that for them to order it from their distributors and add their mark-up or is that their FFL transfer fee for you to order it online and have them do a transfer? The FFLs in my area are starting to get a little greedy w/ their transfer fees. I used to pay 10.00 per transfer then went to 15 and now up to 25 in less than two years. I will usually try to buy local. But, I am usually pretty specific about what gun I want and will purchase online if my local guys can't get what I'm after. I don't mind paying my locals a little more than online price if they can get the gun in a timely manner. But, when they start talking 2 or three months to get one and I can get it online right now and at a better price, then I'm sorry. Some of them can get a real attitude when you even ask them about doing tranfers.

Any advice on which stores might carry a 930WF in stock? I've had zero luck in finding one around Louisville (Bass Pro, Dick's, Walmart, independents) and most of the local FFLs want $100+ more than online sellers to order one.

Matt

That's their "cash only" price out the door, transfer would be up to the receiver but Bud's says it ships free. Likely they would just drop-ship to the FFL on the other end.

The price Veronica quoted you may include chokes and the one Nora quoted you may not. I paid the 150+ price and got chokes, although I did have to send a follow-up e-mail to get them sent to me as the original shipment only had the barrel and a full choke.

When I received my 24" NON-ported barrel a few months ago it came with an XX-full turkey choke only! (went straight to the junk box) I was so happy to get the barrel I didn't care and bought a nice Briley extended modified choke for it.

Oh, edit: BTW I paid the $170 plus shipping so I did get kinda ripped off...

Edited by ChristianHE

The price Veronica quoted you may include chokes and the one Nora quoted you may not. I paid the 150+ price and got chokes, although I did have to send a follow-up e-mail to get them sent to me as the original shipment only had the barrel and a full choke.

When I received my 24" NON-ported barrel a few months ago it came with an XX-full turkey choke only! (went straight to the junk box) I was so happy to get the barrel I didn't care and bought a nice Briley extended modified choke for it.

Oh, edit: BTW I paid the $170 plus shipping so I did get kinda ripped off...

I sent Nora a e-mail asking about chokes. I also told her about the price of 150 that I got from Veronica and asked what price was correct 150 or 125. I also asked about Veronica telling me there would be a 2 month wait to get the barrel. Sent it yesterday and haven't heard back yet. Someone with connections needs to hook up w/ Larry Potterfield at Midway USA and tell him it's time to start selling "Just about everything for Multi-Gun"....lol. Larry could do an exclusive deal w/ Mossberg to sell the non-ported barrels. He would make a kiiling and we would have a single source with hopefully a little oversite.

When I opened mine up I used different files. First was a flat bastard file, then a chain saw file and some small jewelry files then went to some 600 grit wet dry paper. I've also took and rounded into the tube so shells load a little easier.

Sent from my PG06100 using Tapatalk

Nice job doing it with hand files. I was trying to figure how to do it on my mini milling machine. Sorry wrong guy. Any pictures of your job?

Edited by joestefano

When I opened mine up I used different files. First was a flat bastard file, then a chain saw file and some small jewelry files then went to some 600 grit wet dry paper. I've also took and rounded into the tube so shells load a little easier.

Nice job doing it with hand files. I was trying to figure how to do it on my mini milling machine. Sorry wrong guy. Any pictures of your job?

Joe, let me see if I can get some that show it off. Since I have done it I've had it painted, and not sure if it can be seen very well.

Opened up the loading port last night and it feels good

Sent from Feegee's iPhone using Tapatalk

Is that a stock/unmolested forearm ? What model 930 do you have ? Mine hangs MUCH closer to the port that your pictures.

Edited by DWFAN