Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

mossburg 930

benny hill

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Any have experience with the 2nd shell consistently getting "stuck" or held up on something? I almost feel as if its the shell rim?

Can you describe what's happening? Is it loaded 7+1, fire the first round and bolt's open and second shell is somewhere on lifter?

Any have experience with the 2nd shell consistently getting "stuck" or held up on something? I almost feel as if its the shell rim?

Can you describe what's happening? Is it loaded 7+1, fire the first round and bolt's open and second shell is somewhere on lifter?

So I was practicing my reloads with dummy shells ( seems to be no different than slugs )

With the bolt close and a shell inside the chamber, I'm loading directly into the tube. I feel like consistently the 2nd shell I put into the tube catches somewhere where the brass part of the shotshell goes in. Any common issues with things stopping/catching the shell?

Perhaps that retaining piece of metal that keeps the shells in the tube ?

How long ago did you order the barrel?

Take care,

Dave

September 7th. So about 2x's the wait, but I can tell you, it is well worth it! Now I'm just in a bad mood because I seem to have lost my Nordic Barrel Clamp...

And here is a reference picture of how it comes. It has a large front fiber optic and an adjustable rear.

IMG_20111022_202929.jpg

Edited by midget

September 7th. So about 2x's the wait, but I can tell you, it is well worth it! Now I'm just in a bad mood because I seem to have lost my Nordic Barrel Clamp...

And here is a reference picture of how it comes. It has a large front fiber optic and an adjustable rear.

IMG_20111022_202929.jpg

I really like the AFG on there... :goof:

On another issue, i called mossberg today and ordered a 24" barrel with no ports.....according to rep i talked to i had to order a turkey barrel with extra full tube and had to pay extra to get 2 additional choke tubes of imp cylinder and mod......total cost with shipping is just under $225.....

if someone knows who i need talk to to get a 24" with choke tubes for $150 i'm all ears......

.....thanks and good shoot'n.....D I C K

So I was practicing my reloads with dummy shells ( seems to be no different than slugs )

With the bolt close and a shell inside the chamber, I'm loading directly into the tube. I feel like consistently the 2nd shell I put into the tube catches somewhere where the brass part of the shotshell goes in. Any common issues with things stopping/catching the shell?

one of the reasons i bought the mossberg is that i was told that you could have seven shells in the mag tube, one in the chamber and one on the lifter like some of the older Benelli's,,,which would give you a total of eight shells in a short gun.....well this has turned ut to be not true in the case of my new SPX.....i have tried to do this like my old Bennelli and i can't get it to work because when you try to put the shell on the lifter through the ejection port, a shell is released from the mag tube before you can pull the bolt back far enough to put the shell on it from the top.....

when i do try to fire the SPX with a shell on the lifter and one in the barrel....the crimp area of the shotshell sometimes gets caught under the piece under the barrel which i guess would be equivilent to a barrel ramp on an AR or a 1911....i think the recoil pushes the second shell forward toward the mag tube and when the lifter tries to lift it it gets caught under the ramp i decscribed......what the fix is i don't know....maybe Dr. Benny knows.....

Another thing i've noticed is that it seems like you have to push the shell farther up into the mag tube farther than i'm used to to get it to click into the tube.....in a hurry, the shell you just tried to load will pop back onto the lifter and then you;ve got to shoot it like that or rack the bolt in order to get more shells into the tube....i've looked at taking some of the metal off at the front of thebottom of the receiver loading port so you can push it in further and not even realize it when yu're doing it....thanx....D I C K

Ghost loading a 930 SPX

And yes if you want to load a 930 and "be competitive" you need to cut the end of the for end grip and radius the forward portion of the feeding port to expose the magazine plug which allows the thumb to insert the shell into the tube far enough to catch the shell catch without needing to insert your thumb into the mag tube. This also helps reduce thumb pinch on the lifter gate.

I personally wouldn't plan to rely on Ghost loading in competition, get a mag tube extension.

YouTube and the forum search function are you friend.

David E.

930s Rock!

On another issue, i called mossberg today and ordered a 24" barrel with no ports.....according to rep i talked to i had to order a turkey barrel with extra full tube and had to pay extra to get 2 additional choke tubes of imp cylinder and mod......total cost with shipping is just under $225.....

if someone knows who i need talk to to get a 24" with choke tubes for $150 i'm all ears......

.....thanks and good shoot'n.....D I C K

Dick,

Did you happen to ask for the part number for that barrel?

...according to rep i talked to i had to order a turkey barrel with extra full tube and had to pay extra to get 2 additional choke tubes of imp cylinder and mod......total cost with shipping is just under $225.....

This is exactly what I got when I ordered this summer. It is a production turkey barrel being used by 3-gunners, not a designated 3-gun barrel. We shall see if Mossberg starts selling 3-gunner barrels once they get their 3-G shotgun churning out. For a while they were kindly switching the X-full choke out for another choke, but it wasn't standard procedure and apparently they put the clamp on that special request after a number of them.

IIRC mine came with the x-full turkey choke installed and an IC and Full choke is the box. I bought brileys in light mod and diffusion, haven't used anything but the LM yet.

Edited by jar

Does anyone know the thread size of an accu choke tube? Mossberg claims it is .8125-32 seems big.

That is the correct thread spec.

Mossberg Accu-choke = Winchester Win-Choke = Browning Invector (they are all the same size tube)