Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

6 inch limited custom options.

Kyle O

Thanks for the input everyone, but this is one of those topics where there is no right answer.

Six of one, and a half dozen of the other, so I'm gonna try a 6 inch at this point.

Whether or not that is the right decision I'll have to figure out on my own. If I try out a 5 inch later, and find that I can burn down stages with it, then I'll just get a 5 inch later. I'm sure I can sell a custom 6 inch easily with a mimium loss.

At this point I want to try out the 6 inch offering from Matt Cheely, with a fluted bull, and lightned slide. THAT GUN TURNS ME ON!

Just gotta scrape up the down payment at this point.

Thanks everyone for your help in my decision.

Top guys, like who?

Off the top of my head... TGO, TJ, and MV . But, not Manny, Travis, Ted, Blake, Taran, Shannon....etc.

But, the point I was making is that...underclassmen tend to not drive those 6in. guns as well. Of the non big name shooters...I've only seen 2 that run the 6in well. Often, what I see is the gun looks like a wet noodle wiggling around in their hand during recoil. Which is something that could be trained up, but often isn't.

Okay, that makes sense...I wouldn't expect that to be a problem with the top guys, but can see how it'd be an issue with many other folks if they're not aware of it, or don't work to fix it. R,

USPSA has several hundred pics on Facebook. I count 4 shooters with 6" guns: TGO, TJ, someone running a Bedell gun, and an older gent with what looks to be a Para. The vast majority are 5" L/W DC guns. I'll stick with my Fat Free.

ETA, Voigt was running a 5" L/W gun.

Edited by diehli

"USPSA has several hundred pics on Facebook. I count 4 shooters with 6" guns: TGO, TJ, someone running a Bedell gun, and an older gent with what looks to be a Para. The vast majority are 5" L/W DC guns. I'll stick with my Fat Free.

ETA, Voigt was running a 5" L/W gun."

You are right. TGO and TJ have only been shooting 6" guns the last 3-4 years in USPSA/SCSA, and most of the GM Supersquad do shoot 5" guns for most USPSA matches.

If you shoot steel, you'll see lot of 6" guns, and I am willing to bet the top smiths out there are building a lot more 6" guns than 5"s over the last 7 years due to the 99%

that now shoot steel, or aren't in the super squad who look for every advantage to become a "GM". being a newb, I prefer my 5" L/W heavy gun for USPSA and the 6" for steel.

look in the galleries here. 6" thread after 6" thread.

At this point I want to try out the 6 inch offering from Matt Cheely, with a fluted bull, and lightned slide. THAT GUN TURNS ME ON!

Just gotta scrape up the down payment at this point.

Thanks everyone for your help in my decision.

matt has a style of his own. I like it too. check out his full dustcover 5" guns. good luck with your new venture into the addictive world of 2011.

JL

Edited by 818-DVC

Read this post and others and I guess I want to see for myself. Question: can I just order the parts and have a local smith fit it to my Edge. I know it will feel different, but one reason I always wanted an S_I was the full length dustcover. I just want to try the longer slide and sight radius before I hack the frame. BTW....please don't indicate...just order a new gun......it is unfortunately NOT in the budget!

Aside from the thumb safeties, recoilmaster and a trigger job w factory parts, and a FO front sight, what you add to an edge?

About all you really can do is change out parts as they break, and some slide/frame fitting & lightening.

Cool Matt, I appreciate the offer.

When is the next "event"?

Sorry Kyle, been busy with my new little guy.... Nov 7th is the Hilbilly classic at CASA and we're planning a small Multi-gun for early next year if you LA guys are interested.

I have run a number of shooters at many a major match. Of all the 6in Limited guns I have seen, I have only seen a total of 2 shooters that worked well with their guns. The other 6in. shooters that I have watched were hampered by the guns (and they don't realize it).

My two cents.

Gart...that's a new one! :P

Even the Super Squad types were hampered by the guns? I haven't heard a breakdown on this year's Nationals, but I recall quite a few of the top guys running 6" guns last year. R,

Gart (< lol ),

Top guys, like who?

Off the top of my head... TGO, TJ, and MV . But, not Manny, Travis, Ted, Blake, Taran, Shannon....etc.

But, the point I was making is that...underclassmen tend to not drive those 6in. guns as well. Of the non big name shooters...I've only seen 2 that run the 6in well. Often, what I see is the gun looks like a wet noodle wiggling around in their hand during recoil. Which is something that could be trained up, but often isn't.

So, does this mean you also have seen these same individuals shoot a 5" gun better than the 6"? No disrespect meant, just trying to qualify how you determined it was the 6" gun not the shooters overall skill level causing the issues. It seems just as likely to me they could be shooting even worse with a 5"..... I have seen this many a time.

Bobby Keigans of Freedom Gunworks is a vendor at the Gator Classic this weekend and I talked with him a bit yesterday. He has some of his lightened 6 in. guns, including the match random drawing gun, on display. He makes a compelling case from an engineering standpoint on the advantages of a lightened 6 in. gun. Give him a call sometime and discuss it with him. I've always found him extremely open and helpful.

BTW, I have his Atranite finish on my Limited gun and it seems as wear-proof as hard chrome, if you like matte black, which I do. The price is right, too.

:cheers:

Curtis

I have tried a friends 5 inch and 6 inch side by side and the 6 inche just felt better. I have one now getting the slide lightened on it. The lightened slide is pretty much a must ont the Sti 6 inch guns. I also went to the 6 inch glock 24 while this is getting worked on and I just shoot it better than the 35 I had before. The balance feels better on the 24 than the 35 and theI just shoot it better at distance especially than I ever did the 35

I have a couple of 6" and 5" guns. Like them both and each one has attributes that you can argue.......... but the 6" guns seem better balanced and have a longer sight radius. My eyes are not getting any better and it does make a difference.

A couple of shooters came to my table at the iron man this year and stated that the 6" guns were too heavy. I had them close their eyes and I put a 5" in one hand and 6" in the other and asked them to tell me which was which. 100% of the time they were wrong, I've done this several times since then and have not gotten a correct answer. The longer guns feel lighter to me due to the balance. Not here to argue for one or the other just stating what I have found out.

I have run a number of shooters at many a major match. Of all the 6in Limited guns I have seen, I have only seen a total of 2 shooters that worked well with their guns. The other 6in. shooters that I have watched were hampered by the guns (and they don't realize it).

My two cents.

Gart...that's a new one! :P

Even the Super Squad types were hampered by the guns? I haven't heard a breakdown on this year's Nationals, but I recall quite a few of the top guys running 6" guns last year. R,

Gart (< lol ),

Top guys, like who?

So, does this mean you also have seen these same individuals shoot a 5" gun better than the 6"? No disrespect meant, just trying to qualify how you determined it was the 6" gun not the shooters overall skill level causing the issues. It seems just as likely to me they could be shooting even worse with a 5"..... I have seen this many a time.

Yes. I can't say I have seen them all shoot both. But, I have seen a number of them shoot both. Also, I see a similar pattern in some of those shooters with the 6in guns. (the wet noodle thing) Like I said, it could just be a training issue. Personally...I think shooter can/should be able to adapt to whatever platform they pick up.