Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

High primers

JxMAN25

well i reloaded 150 rounds today my second batch. now i have enough for this comming match. but i had around 10 high primers. is this my fault? how do i reduce the numbers of high primers. Oh ya it was in 9mm

well i reloaded 150 rounds today my second batch. now i have enough for this comming match. but i had around 10 high primers. is this my fault? how do i reduce the numbers of high primers. Oh ya it was in 9mm

What is your reloader?

A.T.

Seating primers is an acquired touch. Most folks, when they first start loading, are fearful of setting off a primer when seating it in brass so they use too light of a push on the handle. You have to use a firm push and not pussyfoot it. Next reloading session try a harder push and look at the primer you just seated. Adjust your pressure by the results you see and strive for consistency. It shouldn't take long to develop.

Pat

What really causes problems is when you are reloading mixed brass. For example if you get a bunch of Federals and they you run into a Winchester or CBC or worse- S&B. Different brass seats primers differently. When I get a couple high primers it's usually Winchester or something, not usually CCI, Federal, Speer, R&P.

oh i guess i stated that. i meant i dont have to worry about what i am doing or the machine is set up right. sorry for that. I went through all of my ammo 2 times looking for inconsistencies. what happens if you try ad shoot a high primer?

high primers will morethan likely not feed(catch onthe breechface) ifthey do, usually becausethey are 'high' you will get click instead of bang, a simple re-cocking ofthegun usually will get em to go off, but by that time, your stage time is toast....ask me how i know....2 in one stage....run your finger across em to 'feel' for high ones, or stand em up on a flat surface an look for leaners

high primers will morethan likely not feed(catch onthe breechface) ifthey do, usually becausethey are 'high' you will get click instead of bang, a simple re-cocking ofthegun usually will get em to go off, but by that time, your stage time is toast....ask me how i know....2 in one stage....run your finger across em to 'feel' for high ones, or stand em up on a flat surface an look for leaners

That's exactly what will happen. The first click finishes setting the primer, the second sets it off.

As was mentioned, exactly why I do not mix brass...not for sake of accuracy but to allow me to seat primers uniformly. When you are seating on a progressive press and feel resistance, it's hard to tell if the primer is askew or a tight primer pocket.

And I second the tighter S&B primer pockets!

As was mentioned, exactly why I do not mix brass...not for sake of accuracy but to allow me to seat primers uniformly. When you are seating on a progressive press and feel resistance, it's hard to tell if the primer is askew or a tight primer pocket.

And I second the tighter S&B primer pockets!

And stay away from Federal NT brass as well (crimped primer pockets!).

I've found S&B to be a harder brass all around, I can definitely tell when one is getting resized.

For me, Winchester gives me fits. Usually hangs up in Station 1 being placed into the shellplate slot. S&B is OK, but the rims look funny to me. I load 9mm on a 1050 so I can hit the pockets no problem.

Ditto- in 38 anyway for sure. Too bad because it's good brass.

• 4 weeks later...

I wouldn't knowingly try to shoot ammo with high primers. There's always the slightst chance that dragging them across the breechface could set them off with the slide open.

I had a lot of issues with high primers when I was using a Lee progressive press, but, 0 issues with Dillon.

No, worry about the high primers, but not about seating them in the brass.

Are you saying its safe to shoot rounds with high primers, but to just realize the feeding issues?

Yeah, it technically is safe to shoot them, but I doubt they will ignite on the first strike. The first strike usually finishes seating the primer, the seconds sets them off. If they are very high, they won't even feed.

What I was saying above, was that don't worry about seating them when you are loading the round. He (Jxman25) was worried about setting one off when he was seating the primer in the cup (using too much force to seat it). I've loaded thousands upon thousands of rounds, some of the primers were so crushed that it actually concaved them, none ever went bang when I was seating the primer.

No, worry about the high primers, but not about seating them in the brass.

Are you saying its safe to shoot rounds with high primers, but to just realize the feeding issues?

Yeah, it technically is safe to shoot them, but I doubt they will ignite on the first strike. The first strike usually finishes seating the primer, the seconds sets them off. If they are very high, they won't even feed.

What I was saying above, was that don't worry about seating them when you are loading the round. He (Jxman25) was worried about setting one off when he was seating the primer in the cup (using too much force to seat it). I've loaded thousands upon thousands of rounds, some of the primers were so crushed that it actually concaved them, none ever went bang when I was seating the primer.

ya when youi see the revolver shooters get a high primer sometimes they will go all the way around again because it was seated the first time and goes off the second. Now my seating problems are solved due to my new bench

Edited by JxMAN25