Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

2011 Ohio Section Championship

A fast reminder.....The match fee goes up on May 1st. We will NOT be waiving that increase so if you are holding off for some reason DON'T. We would like to fill a lot more slots on Sunday so if you know someone who is on the fence....knock them off!!

• Replies 772
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

three

And my vote extends to making it just 1-2-3 within the class. top 3 seems fine, 4th or 5th place is a lot of plaques.

I am for following the A2 recommended recognition.

Plaques do add up very quickly especially if you are shipping them out afterwards.

6 HOA Divisions

6 Section HOA

6 Classifications within each division (36)

6 Special Catagories within each division (36)

that is 84 at average of $10 each = $840 plus shipping

Now go to 2nd, 3rd for each classification that has 5 or more = 72 (if everyone had 5) $720

$1560 + flate rate $4 shipping each if you don't have awards = $624

you are now over $2k for awards

so if you have 200 paid shooters you will need to take $10 per shooter to cover trophies

(200 paid shooters, plus staff is about 240-250, Indiana Section has been one of the largest Section matches last couple of years 246 has been the top, VA/MD has been around the same)

you can only take an $80 entry fee and split it so many times before you are way past being in the hole

Hotels, lunch for staff, targets, pasters, range fee, office supplies, USPSA fee, water, ice........

until you put on a big match, 200+ shooters and staff, you just don't know everything that is really invovled.

A2 works and it works well for a reason, history of matches.

If you want to win awards get into Country Music, they have a bunch of shows and awards, if you want to win awards in shooting USPSA, either go for HOA in your division, or winning your class within your division. If you came in 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th.....then earn it by beating 10-15-20-25 other people,

or bring a bunch of other shooters in your division and class you know you can beat.

Edited by fortyfiveshooter

three

And my vote extends to making it just 1-2-3 within the class. top 3 seems fine, 4th or 5th place is a lot of plaques.

Plaques do add up very quickly especially if you are shipping them out afterwards.

6 HOA Divisions

6 Section HOA

Now go to 2nd, 3rd for each classification that has 5 or more = 72 (if everyone had 5) $720

so if you have 200 paid shooters you will need to take $10 per shooter to cover trophies

(200 paid shooters, plus staff is about 240-250, Indiana Section has been one of the largest Section matches last couple of years 246 has been the top, VA/MD has been around the same)

you can only take an $80 entry fee and split it so many times before you are way past being in the hole

Hotels, lunch for staff, targets, pasters, range fee, office supplies, USPSA fee, water, ice........

until you put on a big match, 200+ shooters and staff, you just don't know everything that is really invovled.

If you want to win awards get into Country Music, they have a bunch of shows and awards, if you want to win awards in shooting USPSA, either go for HOA in your division, or winning your class within your division. If you came in 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th.....then earn it by beating 10-15-20-25 other people,

or bring a bunch of other shooters in your division and class you know you can beat.

Jake if I looked at your match last year you had 42 total plaques using your 5:1 ratio, I may have missed some but that should be close. That is first through how ever many you had and in limited I think it went to 5th or so in some classes. Being that your the biggest state match around and one of the few state matches that carries the STI contingency tag, I seriously doubt any other state match around will eclipse that. I think I paid around 350$ for my plaques and we had 30 something plaques doing 3:1 to 3rd place but I don't have 6 divisions but I also filled up all the classes because I only had 2 divisions so it kind of works out. I guess I'll get my fiddle out and see if I can't play a tune for the majority of shooters in the lower classes that pay for the match that seems to be all some are willing to give them.

Edited by steel1212

three

6 HOA Divisions

6 Section HOA

Jake if I looked at your match last year you had 42 total plaques using your 5:1 ratio, I may have missed some but that should be close. That is first through how ever many you had and in limited I think it went to 5th or so in some classes. Being that your the biggest state match around and one of the few state matches that carries the STI contingency tag, I seriously doubt any other state match around will eclipse that. I think I paid around 350$ for my plaques and we had 30 something plaques doing 3:1 to 3rd place but I don't have 6 divisions but I also filled up all the classes because I only had 2 divisions so it kind of works out. I guess I'll get my fiddle out and see if I can't play a tune for the majority of shooters in the lower classes that pay for the match that seems to be all some are willing to give them.

Don't forget special catagories, and HOA Section winners

Don't remember how many we had, but the bill was over $1k with shipping to each person. Which you have to do if you are not holding awards afterwards.

Dave tried one year with having plaques on hand, but ended up have something like 10 that were not used and needed to order another 8 or 9 afterwards because of people moving around or having the classification system update.

I am proud of every 2nd or 3rd place C Class L10 or B Class SS and Limited plaque hanging on the wall in my garage, especially since I had to beat 10 or 15 other people to get them.

I am sure that Dan will make the right decision for his match and the above was just an example of what the cost can quickly add up to if it becomes a participation award instead of a competition award.

Don't forget special catagories, and HOA Section winners

I counted those.

What eats into your cost is the shipping, which you just said you don't see any way around. If you have awards on sunday after the match you'll save on shipping as a lot of people will want to get their awards in person. Some people have to shoot on sat so they can drive back on sunday so they won't be there but if somebody knows them they can take it to them as well. If a local person isn't there I'm sure you'll have somebody that can take it to them. Sure you might have a few extra plaques but that seems a lot better than a couple hundred bucks in shipping.

Edited by steel1212

Ok noob question about plaques, just asking. Why do you mail them? If I thought I stood a real shot at wood I would make arrangements for someone to get it for me or hang around. Not wanting to piss any one off, really curious how this works. In the unlikely event this ever pertains to me.

Ok noob question about plaques, just asking. Why do you mail them? If I thought I stood a real shot at wood I would make arrangements for someone to get it for me or hang around. Not wanting to piss any one off, really curious how this works. In the unlikely event this ever pertains to me.

Its been done in the past so that you don't have plaques on hand you order them after the match so your not stuck with plaques when people switch divisions or move up in class. They then order the correct ones and mail them.

Its been done in the past so that you don't have plaques on hand you order them after the match so your not stuck with plaques when people switch divisions or move up in class. They then order the correct ones and mail them.

Correct and if you are shooting on Saturday you don't have to stick around until Sunday to pick it up.

Usually after a match is finished, last shot fired and everything is running smoothly it is about 1/2 hour to an hour before you get your final scores and are able to get it printed

Then you have a 1 hour arbitration period after posting, unless several people agree to waive it.

If you are not having an awards ceremony then you will have to mail out what you can't pass out locally.

Last year when I ordered the plaques I also sent in the address and had them shipped at the sametime. It makes it easier on the MD, I really don't want to be driving around for 2 months trying to chase people down at regular club matches to give them their trophy.

Also by the time a big match is over with, at least for me, I don't want another thing to deal with from it. I want to close the book on it within a week or two after it, then just go and shoot some matches before I have to start thinking about next years.

(I can't believe I just said something already about next years........)

Now to get the thread back on track to the Ohio Section, I am really looking forward to this match, I know that Dan has been working his butt off on putting this together, I want to say thanks to him, and to Chris as well for entering in all the stuff, that is no fun either.

Ok, I'm going to open another can of worms. I have always liked sticking around for the awards. I am not looking to get one normally but hanging out with you folks is better than coming home and going to work. If I do get one it is in front of my fellow shooters and it means a lot more to us than to the mail man! I do plan to have awards afterwards for this match. No the awards won't have your name on them but so far none of the ones I have gotten have my name on them and I still enjoy showing them off. So, bring your cigars and just enjoy the fresh air. Chris is one hell of a stats man and will have the scores up as fast as he can. If the people want to waive the arbitration period and get on with the awards then so be it.

Even if we went by 3's I am still 1 short in "A" class Production from getting one. At least for now. :rolleyes:

If we do go by 3's I will have to limit it to about 5th place in a class. I can't spend all my money on awards!

No worries Dan. When they run the updates in a week or so I'll be bumping up to A class in Production. Soooooooooo, my vote is for 3, of course. :ph34r:

I like receiving my awards in front of my peers also, Dan. I still remember vividly, the few times I've had the honor of going up in front of a group of shooters to accept my plaque, and the euphoria that comes with that is better than any adrenaline you get shooting a 32 round field course. B)

Please dont ditch the awards ceremony. It's fun to be there just to see who else won their class.

And yes, hanging out with my friends beats going back to everyday life as we know it! :lol:

What's the deadline to get a refund? Thanks!

I hope your kidding....but if not just let me know before May 1.

refunds........hahahahahahhahahahahahahahahahaha............uh.....hahahahahahahahahahahaha