Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

How to go to Nationals

d_striker

I'm a new USPSA shooter and was curious as to how one goes to the USPSA Nationals. I'm not planning on shooting at it in the future, but often overhear people talking about it.

Does one have to qualify for it, such as being in the top percentage of their class? Or is it just a matter of signing up and hoping you get in?

There are two or three ways(or more) to get to shoot nationals. Slots for nationals are given to a section for distribution. The number of slots given to a section is related to activity credits. Activity credits are awarded for each shooter shooting each club match in that section. The section with the most activity credits gets more nat'l slots than the ones with least. For example, the section I am in(Texas West Section) has 3 clubs in it. We are all small clubs so participation is pretty small. This year we were awarded one slot for the Open nat'ls, & one for the lim nat'ls. Some sections are quite large & get a lot of slots. They award these slots in various ways to their members. One way is by winning at a sectional match or sometimes by who shoots the most matches. It is kind of up to the section how they are passed out. So, depending on where you are, will depend on what it takes to get a slot that way. The next way to get a slot is to sign up for the wait list. This sign up is opened on a particular day & uses any slots that were awarded to a section & not used plus any sponsor slots. Getting in early on this list, like in the first minute or two is a very good way to get in the nat'ls. Next way is to show up at the match on the sign up day & quite often, there are openings that "appear" last minute. No shows, more sponsor slots not used & any other opening is now available for whoever happens to be at the match ready to shoot.

That is at least 3 ways to get into the nat'ls. I'm sure there may be some others, also.

Welcome to the addiction!!!!

MLM Texas West Section Coordinator

There are two or three ways(or more) to get to shoot nationals. Slots for nationals are given to a section for distribution. The number of slots given to a section is related to activity credits. Activity credits are awarded for each shooter shooting each club match in that section. The section with the most activity credits gets more nat'l slots than the ones with least. For example, the section I am in(Texas West Section) has 3 clubs in it. We are all small clubs so participation is pretty small. This year we were awarded one slot for the Open nat'ls, & one for the lim nat'ls. Some sections are quite large & get a lot of slots. They award these slots in various ways to their members. One way is by winning at a sectional match or sometimes by who shoots the most matches. It is kind of up to the section how they are passed out. So, depending on where you are, will depend on what it takes to get a slot that way. The next way to get a slot is to sign up for the wait list. This sign up is opened on a particular day & uses any slots that were awarded to a section & not used plus any sponsor slots. Getting in early on this list, like in the first minute or two is a very good way to get in the nat'ls. Next way is to show up at the match on the sign up day & quite often, there are openings that "appear" last minute. No shows, more sponsor slots not used & any other opening is now available for whoever happens to be at the match ready to shoot.

That is at least 3 ways to get into the nat'ls. I'm sure there may be some others, also.

Welcome to the addiction!!!!

MLM Texas West Section Coordinator

Thanks for the info!

If you win your class at a sectional match, aren't you automatically bumped up into the next division? For instance, if you win an area match as a B shooter, would you be bumped up to A in Nationals?

Edited by d_striker

If you win your class at a sectional match, aren't you automatically bumped up into the next division?

No, it's not automatic. If there are enough GM's in your division, and you shoot to a higher percentage (say you're a B shooter who finishes at 75%+), then that would bump you to A.

If you win your class at your Area championship, you also get a slot. R,

Bart

If you win your class at a sectional match, aren't you automatically bumped up into the next division?

No, it's not automatic. If there are enough GM's in your division, and you shoot to a higher percentage (say you're a B shooter who finishes at 75%+), then that would bump you to A.

Bart

Class? Are you sure it's not Division? :mellow:

Edited by Dragoon

• 4 weeks later...

just curious...I am unclassified. Not much chance of getting a slot is there...? I shot the Area 7 this summer, I think 12th overall production. Really hard to get classified as I am in Canada, about 4.5hrs and a National border from any USPSA matches.

just curious...I am unclassified. Not much chance of getting a slot is there...? I shot the Area 7 this summer, I think 12th overall production. Really hard to get classified as I am in Canada, about 4.5hrs and a National border from any USPSA matches.

They allowed walk-ons this year, as they do most years. I.E., if you don't get a slot, show up and pay the entry fee and you'll be good.

Bart

First in any class, in any division, should get you a slot (President's Medal thingy). R,

Bart

First in any class, in any division, should get you a slot (President's Medal thingy). R,

So whats the deal with section qualifiers?

IIRC, IPSC NS is affiliated with USPSA (or at least they were at one time). You might want to get a hold of them about getting classified.

Failing that, there are two affiliated clubs in Maine and more in Massachusetts. I regularly drive to Montana, Idaho and Washington to shoot USPSA matches (6 to 8+ hours each way driving time)

Bart

So whats the deal with section qualifiers?

Some sections distribute their slots based on performance at certain matches in the section.

They allowed walk-ons this year, as they do most years. I.E., if you don't get a slot, show up and pay the entry fee and you'll be good.

yup that's what i did this year...

showed up borrowed a gun and shot Limited U unclassified...

it was a blast!!

Edited by carlosa

Some sections distribute their slots based on performance at certain matches in the section.

So you're saying that you can earn a spot at Nationals if you win your class (eg-C class in Limited) at a Section Qualifier?

So you're saying that you can earn a spot at Nationals if you win your class (eg-C class in Limited) at a Section Qualifier?

you need to verify with your section to find out how they distribute the slots

Slot distribution policies vary from section to section. Some do it based on match performance, some by volunteerism in the section, some by who asks first, etc. There's no single answer. As previously mentioned, check with your SC to see what the process is for securing a slot from your section.

Pike's Peak Practical Shooters looks to be your local club. Contact them about who is SC for your area (couldn't find it very easily on the new USPSA site, though I hope that function is coming soon).

Slot distribution policies vary from section to section. Some do it based on match performance, some by volunteerism in the section, some by who asks first, etc. There's no single answer. As previously mentioned, check with your SC to see what the process is for securing a slot from your section.

Pike's Peak Practical Shooters looks to be your local club. Contact them about who is SC for your area (couldn't find it very easily on the new USPSA site, though I hope that function is coming soon).

Thanks for the great info. I have it figured out now. Looks like I'm out of luck for 2011. My only shot is to show up and try to walk on. It seems that a lot of people have luck doing this but I'd hate to spend the cash on airfare, hotel, rental car, etc and not get a spot.

• 1 month later...

Thanks for the great info. I have it figured out now. Looks like I'm out of luck for 2011. My only shot is to show up and try to walk on. It seems that a lot of people have luck doing this but I'd hate to spend the cash on airfare, hotel, rental car, etc and not get a spot.

Just do like everyone else and put your name on the waitlist when it opens up. If you're diligent and sign up within the first hour of when the waitlist is open, you'll more than likely to get a slot.

Are there any limitations for wait listers or walk ons, such as GM or Master etc. You do you just need a gun, a wallet, and a pulse?

I think the minimum is being a USPSA member but there were a few that shot that had no member number (looking at the overall match result) but I'm sure they were IPSC shooters from out of country who either forgot to renew or forgot their member number.

Are there any limitations for wait listers or walk ons, such as GM or Master etc. You do you just need a gun, a wallet, and a pulse?

I think the minimum is being a USPSA member but there were a few that shot that had no member number (looking at the overall match result) but I'm sure they were IPSC shooters from out of country who either forgot to renew or forgot their member number.

Or - A foriegn shooter who is not a member of USPSA (and therefor has no USPSA number.) So long as they are a current member of IPSC within their region, they need not be a member of USPSA to enter the match.

Edited by Schutzenmeister