Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Armscor Brass

sahauptman

I have reloaded Armscor brass with no problems for 1000's of rounds. I still feel confident with this brass.

Do you feel confident now that your brass could look like this too. Others have had this problem also, I'm not the only one.

For a few dollars ($72 per 1000 Armscor VS $80 per 1000 Remington) more I will buy Winchester or Remington brass from now on.

I seen the same thing only the split was not nearly that bad. It seems that they had a bad batch and the brass either failed on the first firing or was OK. So if it made it past one, you were fine. My understanding was they fixed the problem.

DANGER Don't buy Armscor brass

This picture is from NEW factory brass.  As you can see from the primer it's not over pressured.

At first glance, those failures look almost identical. I wonder if their tooling had a burr or something that scratched the inside of those cases in the same place and created a weak spot?

Looks exactly like ShooterGrrl's Armscor brass.

Yup - sure does. We bought 2500 pcs of Armscor in Aug last year and had TONS of problems with it... BUT, we later found out that EVERYONE that recommended it were using 125gr bullets with SP, and we were using 115's with VV.

The price difference was FAR greater when I bought it, we paid $62/1000 shipped, where Starline is $99/1000 shipped. $37 dollars was enough for me to try it. (I bought the "Rimless" so RP wasn't an option to compare against)

3 people from our club bought some from the Nationals and we have loaded 4 or 5 times now and the only problem we have encountered is the AOL is different then Starline. The cut of the rim is different and it sits in the shell plate different about 10 to 15 thousanths. They sure are not breaking up like those pic though..

A full-length crack like that is a sure sign the brass is defective in some way (most likely too brittle or too much stress). 115, 124, it wouldn't matter, they'd crack with either. If it's more than 1/2 per thousand, send 'em back and get new ones. Every so often a batch of brass won't get made right and this happens. As I mentioned before, I've seen it with batches of Starline and Remington as well.

The armscor I bought had a bubble on the rim, which ripped open in the lee U sizing die and made a gazillion litte brass rings that got jammed up in the die. Then, the brass rings started staying somewhat attached after sizing and ended up in the case with the powder. Yuck.

Go Starline, save somewhere else.

SA

A full-length crack like that is a sure sign the brass is defective in some way (most likely too brittle or too much stress). 115, 124, it wouldn't matter, they'd crack with either.

Especially when its the first loading of new brass.

And even if the powder/bullet combination makes a difference, it still looks like there is a problem, at least with that lot of brass.

If someone had the time and equipment, it might be interesting to test the rest of the brass from that batch and look at it carefully under a microscope to look for cracks and tooling marks.

• 2 weeks later...

I am currently using Armscor Rimless Brass, it has been my second box of 2500pcs. I have been loading them with Montana Gold 124grs. JHP with 9.8grs of 3n38. My Racegun is Limcat's newest Tigercat/Phantera with Turbo-Diablo Comp along with 4 cyclops/hybrid. I encountered a very few cracked cases when I was pushing my crimp @ .365 to .370, BUT! when I loaded them @.385crimp, I have never cracked another Armscor Brass again. Oh, my O.A.L. is currently 1.250. So to recap: I currently am loading my brass for the 4th or 5th time with these figures: Montana Gold 124gr. JHP(.355); 3n38 @ 9.8(Turbo and Hybrid shortened racegun) with 1.250 O.A.L. and the magic formula was Crimp @ .385. Always start with the recommended load and work your way up to get you to the 165PF. My current PF is approx. 169PF @ 70degrees-So. California weather.

The pics of the split cases looks exactly like what I had happen with a batch of Austrian made Hirtenberger 9x21 brass. I loaded and reloaded several times my first 3000 with no troubles. I Opened a new box and I think it was on some 2nd time around brass went just like the ones in the pics, 10 rnds in a mag, and I was getting 3 or 4 like that. Latest stuff, no troubles at all :huh:

Although I've always used Starline in my .38 supercomp, I've heard several references to Armscor brass, but, have never seen a source for it. Matt Burkett also uses, and recommends Armscor. He said he had trouble with variations, in some batchs of Starline.

I guess you can get bad batchs from anybody.

I would be willing to try the Armscor, because I lose a lot of it at matchs anyway.

Could one of you point me to a source??