Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Double taps and you...

slippp

So I've noticed while at matches, that almost everyone shoots double taps accurately.

I'm still relatively new to competitive shooting, so obviously my shot isn't that fast....

How did you develop your double tap skills? Is it honestly developed through experience and just doing it?

I tried being *a little* faster (not by much) at my second match and had a lot of alpha charlies and a few alpha deltas on targets about ~5yards out. I've been reading about the technique but I can't really incorporate it into shooting yet because I'm still working on reacquiring the sight for the second shot and what not.

Any ideas / stories? Thanks :)

BTW I searched! lol. Just thought I'd throw that in there :)

Edited by slippp

Search more. It's not "double tapping" (in most/the appropriate instances). You'll get there by turning up your vision, which is an acquired skill.

Is it just shooting fast twice?

What do you mean turning up your vision?

Search more. It's not "double tapping" (in most/the appropriate instances). You'll get there by turning up your vision, which is an acquired skill.

Is it just shooting fast twice?

What do you mean turning up your vision?

Not shooting twice...that's why your scoring deltas on a 5M target...

2 controlled shots. you see the sights on target both times. This is what the above poster was referencing by tuned up vision.....your eye's won't get better, you'll just be able to reacquire the target faster so you can take a really fast follow up shot.

Speaking for myself, it took me a good 2 years of flailing, reading, and a lot of shooting to understand roughly what I was supposed to see. More frequently, its referred to as a controlled pair around these parts...

But in essence what you're doing is shooting each shot on each target as fast and accurately as possible. Your eyes are tracking the front sight up and down and breaking the next shot as soon as you see what you NEED to see to hit another alpha. Time and practice get you that skill faster.

Well took me a little longer than that to figure it out, it is two single shots just fired at the same target. The first shot goes off the sights jump over the moon then they come back down to earth I see the sight on the target and squeeze off the second one.

I shoot with an open GM that shoots pop...pop notice 3 dots for timining I shoot pop..pop notice only 2 dots, he beats me all the time and its easy for him to do that, he makes all A's all the time. He beats me because all of his movements around the stage are faster. Work on your hits and moving about the stage you will cut your time a lot more than trying to shave .005 off your 2 shots on one target. Work on transitions, reloads, your draw and your foot work, and how you run the stage. You can save .2 seconds just by stepping off with the correct foot, and that's just one step.

The biggest killer of all is pausing, are you pausing, know when you are pausing, and just stop doing that, you will be a lot faster!

This is a bit of a difficult game with very very small details, but is sure is a lof of fun.

Edited by CocoBolo

Unless the target is at something silly, like 3ft, there is no such thing (or shouldn't be) as a "double tap" where you aim the gun once, and shoot two shots.

When you see a good shooter take two very fast shots at a target, and get good hits, what you're seeing is the product of time, effort and training. Both shots are individually aimed, separate and distinct from one another. As your grip, stance, index, timing, etc get better, the gun will actually return from recoil faster. As you get more experience you will be able to, for lack of a better words, see faster...you'll break the first shot, you'll see the sights lift, fall, settle back on the target and you'll be breaking the next shot with a good sight picture. R,

Short version: Sight picture bang. Sight picture bang.

Short, Simple and to the point! i like it!

I know my answer was right from Tolstoy (the guy that wrote war and peace) but I went with this part of the question.

Any ideas / stories? Thanks :)

I didn't get into any stories, maybe later when I retire.

Only through practice (read repetition) will your mind and your eyes and the kinesthetic (sp?) sense of your arms and hands, will your mind...err..eyes know when to fire off that second shot. Through repetition your mind/body/eyes learn to expect how the gun handles and then learns to expect when and where the front sight settles back on the brown cardboard and sometimes even perfectly centered up inside the rear sight and then BANG!

Only through that same repetition do you learn how sloppy you can be with the sight picture and/or trigger pull at whatever distance to the target.

Edited by Chills1994

There is nothing faster than knowing where the bullet went when the gun goes bang. The only shot that matters is the shot your taking right "now". I have missed targets within point blank distance by trying to "double tap", I know better now and know I need to see sight/dot lift for every shot and not only that but know where that bullet hit. I know when I first started I tried all kinds of drills and I could see different things by where I put my visual focus. It was not until my visual focus became the driving force that it started to "click" for me. What I looked at is what I shot. I looked at specific spot I wanted to hit, sights/dot got there, pull trigger so you don't mess sight picture up, follow through and repeat until you know you hit what you intended to.

Something Brian talks about in is book that hasn't been mentioned is that there are different levels of having a sight picture.

On a 2 yard target just seeing the front sight in the middle of the target might be enough to get two A's. On a 25 yard target, a much finer sight picture is required. The fast guys know when they can get away with a "sloppy" sight picture.

Something Brian talks about in is book that hasn't been mentioned is that there are different levels of having a sight picture.

On a 2 yard target just seeing the front sight in the middle of the target might be enough to get two A's. On a 25 yard target, a much finer sight picture is required. The fast guys know when they can get away with a "sloppy" sight picture.

I dont know if sloppy is the best way to say it, but acceptable for one person may not equal acceptable for another. practice will tell you want type of sight picture you need.

Heck, at 2yds, just seeing the top of the slide is enough of a sight picture. R,

What I did to get better with a pair is put a shoot and see dot at 10 yard with a target behind it. I take my first shot and let the gun settle without trying to correct the sight picture, if the gun settles with the sight picture right on the dot your grip and and recoil control are ready to speed it up. Don't get me wrong you have to watch the sights but the drill just let's you know that you are ready to speed it up and focus on timing.

I hope that makes sence, maybe a more experienced shooter can elaborate.

I remember reading the Call to Followthrough on Brian's site...

http://www.brianenos.com/pages/words.html

A drill that helped me was the bill drill. When I first started competition, I would just crank off 2 shots as fast as I could at every distance. I was hoping I would hit target. Didn't matter what distance, 3 yds or 20 yds, the splits sounded the same. I was just trying to emulate the fast shooters. About 9 months into shooting a class with TJ we did a similar drill like bill drill just firing as many shots as we could at various distances. We get past 20 yds and TJ comes up to me and says Max Michel doesn't even fire that fast and he has the fastest trigger finger I know. The light went on in my head, its not how fast you pull the trigger, but how fast you SEE WHEN you can pull the trigger.

Edited by HoMiE

I wish there was a forum script that replaced the phrase "double-tap" with "two aimed shots" it would save us a lot of time and might get the point across as they tried to figure out why the words keep changing. :)

JT

Easy to do (using the "bad word" filter). I've come very close to doing that quite a few times. biggrin.gif

I wish there was a forum script that replaced the phrase "double-tap" with "two aimed shots" it would save us a lot of time and might get the point across as they tried to figure out why the words keep changing. :)

JT

Easy to do (using the "bad word" filter). I've come very close to doing that quite a few times. biggrin.gif

do it! then when people accidently post the same message twice when they edit their second one it will say "two aimed shots" :roflol:

I dont know if sloppy is the best way to say it, but acceptable for one person may not equal acceptable for another. practice will tell you want type of sight picture you need.

Best comment I've heard on the subject (courtesy of our gracious host) is, "see what you need to see to make the shot", which applies to each and every shot, and is different depending on the target, the skill set of the shooter, and his awareness of the situation.

What I need (and actually am able) to see as an A class Production shooter is different from what a new shooter can/does see, and is also very different from what a GM Open shooter can/does see.