Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Best Esp Pistol

Stratochief

I've just been racking my brain for the last month trying to find the best 1911 style 9mm pistol for ESP. The STI Eagle and Trojan are among my front-runners. Although it's a .40, the Dawson/Jarret seems like a really good deal.

I'm just wondering who out there to go with? Meaning, with which dealer could I get the best deal with? Brazos? Dawson? The only thing I'd want extra is a fiber optic front and a 3lb trigger job. Any honest suggestions?

I agree your thoughts regarding the Eagle or Trojan. Give Bob a call at Brazos. He is very helpful and will answer your questions.

The 3lb trigger and fiber optic front sights are excellent additions.

Ever thought about 38 super?

Good luck,

Jim

At the risk of soundling like a broken record, why not get a standard dustcover STI in .40? You can then use it in ESP as well as IPSC Limited or Limited-10. If you reload, you can get it to shoot as soft as the 9mm in ESP.

If you wanted a gun that could cross over and shoot seems like the SV or STI widebody in .40 would be a good way to go..

I just built a 5" 9mm on STI frame and slide..mainly cause I have the mags already..and I didn't want to chase down a bunch of .40 mags..I had mine set up with a Dawson FO sight and Bomar and very sweet 1.5 pound trigger...I think its a pretty nice setup..

The 9mm it is fun too shoot.. light on recoil, ammo is cheap, I can buy the value paks and not use my time reloading..

..I like mine a lot..plan on shooting IDPA esp class and some USPSA limited and L10 for kicks..

I already have both an STI open and Limited gun, but the bull-barrel pretty much makes my Ltd gun null and void in IDPA. Thanks for the suggestions. I think I will just go with the Eagle in .40 mainly because with the 9mm, I'd have to buy yet another complete caliber conversion for my 550 plus, I'd have to buy all new magazines etc. Why not use the stuff I already have?

I talked with Bob Londgrin and he seems very helpful, so I will buy from him. Thanks again.

I had a nice .40 skinny gun built, just 'cause I wanted one and use it for SSC and IDPA.

I think it has a really minor edge in IDPA because it is easier to do the TAC load dance with than a wide body and at 9+1 I run dry after a target, not in the middle of one like with a .45 (8+1) or a high Cap (10+1).

I still like the way my high fits my hand and tracks though.

go with what works for you...

Get a 1911 in 9 x 19........cheap to shoot, incredibly fast cycle time and very low recoil. I have an STI Trojan in 9 x 19 and it is fast target to target. Most of the gun companies are jumping in the 9mm 1911 bandwagon, Springfield, Colt again, STI etc.

I already have both an STI open and Limited gun, but the bull-barrel pretty much makes my Ltd gun null and void in IDPA. Thanks for the suggestions. I think I will just go with the Eagle in .40 mainly because with the 9mm, I'd have to buy yet another complete caliber conversion for my 550 plus, I'd have to buy all new magazines etc. Why not use the stuff I already have?

I talked with Bob Londgrin and he seems very helpful, so I will buy from him. Thanks again.

If it's any piece of mind, you'd probably have to buy all new magazines even if your .40 was not a Bull Barrel. The IPSC mags are most likely too long to fit in the IDPA box.

Stratocheif,

Bob at Brazos is building me a cross competiter style gun. From what I gathered here on the forum, you will nee 126 mm mags with a wedge style basepad and standard mag well to fit the IDPA box. If this is the mag/magwell set up you end up with let me no how it works out.

Here is mine that I had just built..still breaking it in as gunsmith likes to build them tight..but so far got only 100 rounds of Walmart 9mm ammo through it with no trobles at all..

When finished..going for hardchrome look with a gray grip worked over by Jim Shanahan..

STI 9mm

from my measurements..I had to trim the rear of the magwell to fit the IDPA box..but it all should fit now..

then for fun..load up my 140 mags and go shoot some Limited minor..what the heck..its all fun.. :D

I have an STI Trojan cal. 9x21 (... 9x19 it is illegal in Italy), and it shot very fine,

I made myself the loads: 123 grs FMJ x 5,00 N340 = PF 132 very soft and accurate load.

The only things i have done to thi wonderful Single-stack are:

- Wilson Shock Buffer installed

- Wolf spring-recoil 9 lbs.

and .............. B)B)B) .......... shot, shot, shot.

ciao

I hate to be a wet blanket, but these guns(STI/SVI widebody) IMO have no place in IDPA. I lobbied the Regional IDPA rep. to exclude these types of guns from the approved list in the new LGB.

IDPA is all about what one would carry in the real world. IDPA can turn into an equipment race just like IPSC did. Please do not insult what little intelligence I have by trying to convince me that people really carry these guns.

If you see my posts on Glock Talk and 1911 Forum you will notice I am pretty critical of some of the IDPA rules that make little sense. I would like to use my G35 in CDP as it obviously makes Major PF. I would buy a G37 if I could use it in CDP also.

I shoot a G35 and Kimber .45 in both IPSC and IDPA and yes I do carry these guns on occasion.

If you are just shooting IDPA, a single stack 9 or 40 is the way to go. 9+1 is the ideal round count as mentioned before. You will finish on a target on a slide lock reload. You also have enough rounds to complete a 18 rounds course with one reload.

Ah, not always so. We like to put a single or more steels in there just to break up the 2, 2, 2, 2, 2, and on and on. :P

IDPA is all about what one would carry in the real world. IDPA can turn into an equipment race just like IPSC did.  Please do not insult what little intelligence I have by trying to convince me that people really carry these guns.

PF. I would buy a G37 if I could use it in CDP also.

I shoot a G35 and Kimber .45 in both IPSC and IDPA and yes I do carry these guns on occasion.

I'm not going to disagree since IDPA can put it whatever rules it wants in order to maintain 'realism' (although the ones they do choose may limit my participation, but that's business), but I will mention that for a whole lot of gun-carriers, a strong-side-OWB-barely-concealed-under-a-vest is NOT how they carry their defensive tools day-in-day-out, so why limit the IDPA game to gear designed for that if it's supposed to be realistic about situations and gear? How about a box that fits a typical glovebox or car console? I bet 10 times as many guns are 'carried' there vs in a holster. Or maybe a small cloth 'pocket'?

(Living in STI-town, I have a much different idea about the commonality of STIs for actual IWB carry, but I'll pass on it)

There's nothing wrong with having a STI/SVI in IDPA, it can be a practical gun. If you want to hear some real whining, talk to some LE agency that shoot the police and fire games. There's one or two departments that issue STI for the SWAT team. Talk about an unfair advantage.

Good point Rufus.

Back on topic.

Since money is an issue with me...and brass cost money...I would want to have the gun in 9mm, 40, or (maybe) 45.

And, unless I wanted a specialized gun (again with the money...one gun for various uses), I'd want to gun to be able to load up for Major shooting in USPSA.

So, now I'm looking at 40 vs. 45.

If I just wanted to shoot Limited10, then 45 would be an option. But, I'd likely want to be able to shoot Limited too. So, 40 has the advantage there (in capacity). Plus, it is cheaper to load for (once-fired brass everywhere).

Alright...thanks guys for getting us back on topic..

If I were a limited shooter..and had the .40 mags..I would go the .40 route ...the guns easily crosses into IDPA ESP division, USPSA Limited and Limited 10 divisions..you could shoot steel matches, bowling pin matchs and Bianchi Cup with little disadvantage...

I went for the 9mm as I do have an open gun still, and I shoot mainly USPSA open and production divisions. So I think a lot of the choice will be on what else you have planned and what other equipment you have..

Perhaps my first post was a little off topic. I was expressing my opinion, which I think is OK here, about guns used for IDPA. I stated that IMO the STI/SVI gun would not be the best because I felt, IMO, it should not be allowed.

Just to make certain I am on topic here's my .02 on the best gun. I think the Glock 35 is the best. It can be shot in SSP,ESP, Production, Limited 10 and Limited.

It costs 1/3 of what the afore mentioned STI/SVI costs. A properly set up Glock is just as competitive as any STI/SVI. Most shooters do not take the time or small expense to develop their skills with a Glock.

One of my shooting buds purchased a nice new STI Edge for Limited. It has turned into a "Safe Queen" as he has put it aside for a G35. I offered him $500 for it just to ease his pain.

Before I forget it is not a money issue. I have enough money in my "secret gun fund" to buy ten STIs. Hope my wife does not read this.

BTW thanks for not insulting my low IQ by trying to convince me that someone actually carries an STI. I carry with the same holster I compete with.

There are many things that I do not like about IDPA, just like IPSC. I hope IDPA remains true to it's concept of shooting what you carry and does not become an equipment race like IPSC did.

Before I forget there is one more nice thing about a G35. A 9mm conversion barrel allows one to practice with low cost lead reloads. I wonder why someone has not made a conversion barrel for 1911 type guns? All it would take is a little wider barrel hood and maybe an extractor. Not sure you would need that with the external extractor 1911s.

Flex, I too like to shoot low cost components. I just happen to have 50k of 9mm brass that has zero cost. Lead 9mm bullets run $16-$18m.