Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Sit or Stand?

I prefer to stand, my benchtop is 42 inches high. Both my 650 and SDB are mounted on strongmounts. Handle height for both presses is about shoulder in the full up. I also put anti-fatigue rubber floor mats down in front of my bench area for greater comfort when loading. After I get the rounds made, then do I take a bar stool seat to case gauge, measure OAL, primer check, box...etc.

I sat in a little cubbyhole reloading for years.

When I built my new bench in an actual room I set it up for standing or sitting on a bar stool.

I haven't bought the barstool yet. Standing is too comfortable.

Legs and a$$ don't fall asleep and can use whole body to work the press. Much less fatiguing IMO

I stand on some anti-fatigue mats that I have placed all around the edge of the bench... I feel like my body has a better range of motion when standing and I am more comfortable w/ the vantage point I have on the powder drop station of my 550

I used to use a barstool that was too high. I'd get all crampy and have to take lots of breaks. That was before I found this forum. I recently relocated and rebuilt my bench. Got rid of the stool and found a chair that puts the top of the handle right at shoulder height for me. The difference is amazing.

Yes, that's perfect. Sitting like that, if I kept my feet underneath on the stool's runds, and my back nice and straight, I could crank out rounds for hours at a time.

be

I like the added mobility that standing offers while loading over sitting stationary. I also think I get smoother throws when standing vs, while seated.....

The only drawback to standing for me is our dog will come over and sit on my foot until he get's the affection he so richly deserves... :cheers:

Edited by The Happy Gila

i SIT. when I first bought my press I just bolted it to the counter and away I went. When reading a discussion on the strong mount i decided that maybe a different height would be better. So I cut a bunch of plywood squares and raised it 3/4 of an inch at a time and then loaded some rounds. It kept getting better and then worst. I settled on a height that has the roller handle at about the center of my shoulder. The strong mount was the wrong size so I made a box and screwed it on top of the bench. I didn't raise the whole bench as I like it were it is for other things.

I stand when I'm screwing around and need to grab things on the table, mostly when setting up or new loads. When I want to crank out ammo I sit, off the the left side of the 550 and watch the powder drop, glare out the corner of my eye that a primer got into the primer bar and then index and stick a bullet on.

I sit on a bar stool with a back with my feet up on the shelf under the bench. I don't have my loader jacked up with a strong mount, and its just the right working height for me and I can see into the cases. The step stool on the bar stool puts the case feed in easy reach. The bench is kitchen counter height. Have a nice pedstal fan right there to keep it cool!

+1 Pretty much the same here. I got a folding camp chair from Cabela's, it's pretty wide, has a little fold out table attached to the side. Position it right, and the farthest you hands have to move is to pull the arm down...Everything else is 6" away (I load on a 550 with no case or bullet feeder). I tried the standing thing, but it just seemed to make my back go tense after a couple of hundred rounds. I have a light directly above the press, which is angled to shine into the case at just about every stage, and the press is low enough that checking powder is almost a non issue, just second nature now. Once you have loaded a couple hundred rounds with a particular powder, you know about where the powder will be in the case, and can guage whether or not you have the right charge.

Coco, same setup that I have, but I think my bench is a little lower. :cheers:

Again, +1, agreeing with most of the points of my wise friends. I too load on a 550 without case or bullet feed, bolted directly on to bench. I too have a light so I can easily see in to cases (student desk lamp with adjustable arm), sit on a tall barstool with my feet on a shelf on the bench. Works well for me as I can see/reach anything and everything I need.

Sherry

I sat for years using a single stage, but when I received my 550 with the strong mount and roller handle from our Host I set it up on top of 2x4s spacers to try loading while standing. Used it that way for a couple of weeks to make sure I liked it, then rebuilt my bench. I find that position pretty comfortable.

I stand at my 650 with strong mount. I have a bar stool and I always intend to use it but every time I try to use it all the control I have while standing disappears. I personally have a more consistent throw when standing. Sometimes the extra stability and leverage is nice.

On my 650 I stand but lately the priming on the up stroke has been bothering my right shoulder. I just set up a RL1050 with Mr. Bullet Feeder and PW Power Drive. With that I sit and push the button and watch it all happen, dosen't bother my shoulder at all :wub: