Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Case Pro for 9mm open?

Hello: I was loading up some 3 times fired 9mm open brass tonight and it was kinda tuff sizing it on my RL-1050. I was wondering if anyone is using the Case Pro for there 9mm open brass? I have some brass that has been shot 4 times and was once fired when I got it. Just curious--OK cheap :roflol: Let me know. Thanks, Eric

Hello: I was loading up some 3 times fired 9mm open brass tonight and it was kinda tuff sizing it on my RL-1050. I was wondering if anyone is using the Case Pro for there 9mm open brass? I have some brass that has been shot 4 times and was once fired when I got it. Just curious--OK cheap :roflol: Let me know. Thanks, Eric

I thought you said you just bought 7 fifty five gallon drums of once fired 9mm.:roflol:

Pat

The CasePro will cut your effort sizing as will a little one shot lube. I run my 9 mm thru it. I learned with 38SC, with the CasePro I reload them till they split, at least 10 times or more. I have not done that with 9 mm since the whole concept for me was to not pick them up.

I just pick up the Noobs once fired, and leave mine lay most of the time. If I do pick them up I put them in the minor bucket, and of course like everything I load it goes in the CasePro line. (I don't roll 45 don't have the die yet). I could probably load them major a few times but then I would have to keep track of that and risk problems with brass, doesn't seem worth it.

I shimed my CasePro so that it rolls them to exact size as in the specifications aka like new brass. Most of the time I get zero rejects per 1000. I don't like rejects as you lose a primer $.03-$.04 and have to remove the bullet and collect the powder. I throw any rejects in the practice bucket and shoot them at a practice session.

I've seen a few folks get their chambers reamed out, to me that is anti productive since the brass will just expand more to fill the bigger chamber, go figure.

Since I start with once fired brass I always case-pro before I shoot it the first time so that they all start consistently sized. My brass doesn't usually get loaded more than twice (shoot it in practice, pick it up then reload it again for match use and leave it.) When I first started shooting 9mm major I loaded several batches 4 times to see if there was any problem with it and don't recall any difficulty with sizing it. I suspect that may be a result of processing it with the case-pro before starting the process and a fairly tight chamber.

Hard resize.

Why?

Oversize chamber

Over pressure

No good reason for this. Don't do it.

Hello: They are a little harder to resize but not terrible. The chamber is correct but shooting major 9mm is a little harder on the brass than Production :roflol: I have found that the military brass resizes easier than some of the other brass. Winchester brass is next then the rest. Thanks, Eric

I use a Casepro on 9 major brass. My 650 has a Dillon resizing die and a Lee Factory Crimp die...which is basically a second resizing die. It does make the resizing smoother on both the upstroke pushing the brass in and particularly on the downstroke pulling the brass out. I don't use OneShot or any other lub. Of equal importance for me is that the extraction groove and the base are reformed and most of the nicks are eliminated.

A-G

By all means use the Case Pro if you have it! Its the best way to size all the way down, and dress up the rim!

I use 9 major brass until I loose it...sorting by firings or throwing away after 3, etc is a waste of time, money and effort...

sort thru it, throw away the cracked cases, roll it, and load it!

IMHO the notion that 9 major damages brass is fiction...

jj

Edited by RiggerJJ

By all means use the Case Pro if you have it! Its the best way to size all the way down, and dress up the rim!

I use 9 major brass until I loose it...sorting by firings or throwing away after 3, etc is a waste of time, money and effort...

jj

I just want to know who is sneeking into my shop pouring all those primers into the corn. For now I am playing it safe, just load them once. As long as I can scroung enough once fired at the range it just doesn't make sense to push my luck. I roll everything I pickup.

jj

I just want to know who is sneeking into my shop pouring all those primers into the corn...

That's a good question! Must be the primer fairies! :roflol:

I'm with Rigger on this one. If you have a Case Pro use it. If not, don't worry about it. 5 or 6 loadings on "once fired" to Major ain't nothing to worry about if the gun's built right. If you gun has a sloppy chamber, not enough free bore, etc to begin with it may a problem no matter if it Major or Minor loadings.

Major loads may be pushing more total pressure but it's built up over a relatively long period of time verses Minor loads with fast burning powders. Ever see what you can do to a primer with N320 under a 147 shooting Minor? :surprise:

Amen!

Its all in the powder/load and the construction of the gun. Yes, its usually over specs. Granted, I have see some 9x19 major cases that look pretty bad (usually fired by non S_I guns). But if the gun is built right, and you develop the load properly, you will not damage 9x19 major cases. It takes much more work to get it "right" than with 38 super...the tolerances are much tighter.

When developing loads for 9x19 major, try the slower of the slow powders. they seem to cause less problems. JMHO, during my load development I zeroed in on HS6, and have seen NO overpressure problems with PISTOL primers. It is very dense so there is little/no slinging of powder during loading, its not a cpmpresssed load, its relatively consistent, resists temp variances in velocity, pretty slow so works the comp, it just seems to me to be nearly the perfect 9x19 major powder.

If you are spitting primers, I would look carefully at the chamber, check out and measure fired brass, consider another powder, etc...to me, something is possible wrong...

and another JMHO, if you HAVE to use rifle primers to NOT have overpressure signs, then you may be using the wrong powder/load...

as I said, these are just my observations and humble opinions... YMMV... :cheers:

jj

• 5 months later...

Hello: Just a little update on this. I have not ordered a Case Pro but I am thinking more about it. I just finished the Frankingun and had some reloads that are very big on the bottom even after resizing and could be used in my other Open 9mm(I did not build it) but are tight on this one. I will try to reload rounds that have been shot in this chamber and see how they do. I may order a EGW "U" die for the 9mm and use the Dillon sizer first then the EGW in the next station on my RL1050. That may solve the problem. If not then maybe the Case Pro. These last reloads have been reloaded 5 times now and the primer still is staying in there. I can handle 5 reloads on the brass and out they go. Thanks, Eric

Just think Eric!

If you would have ordered the CasePro back in Sept when you were thinking about it, you might be getting it delivered to you in the next month or so... :D

They do take a while. Mike runs a machine shop, but does the CasePro on the side. When he gets time (a rare thing for him) he works on CasePros. expect a 6-9 month wait...

I am very happy with mine, I do not load pistol ammo without running it thru the CasePro first. I have dies for 9, 38, 40, and 45. Rollsized brass even makes my wife's Tangfo 40 run, not an easy thing to do.

Send me some 9 and I'll run it for you so you can see why CasePro owners say what they say.

jj