Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Trijicon RMR opinions or experiences?

dlee14

Guy I shoot with has one on a STI 38 super shorty. (stinger). 2-3000 rounds and no problems. He got it after breaking cmore's, jpoints and leupolds. He has the one that has no batteries. (Im not sure if any of them do, just clarifying)

A quick google brought it up from ~$370 to $490. Not sure which one you're talking about thats 700.

His looks like this:

http://www.google.com/products/catalog?hl=en&q=Trijicon+RMR&um=1&ie=UTF-8&cid=17811948326565299542&ei=X0KBTI2gFIH88AbIgpGZAg&sa=X&oi=product_catalog_result&ct=result&resnum=3&ved=0CCQQ8wIwAg#

I saw the SVI RMR gun also. That is what got me thinking. It is a very sweet gun. I am just so tired of all the Optima type red dots and all their problems with the battery location, short battery life, short dot life, difficulty in zeroing, etc. I am hoping the RMR is a solution to the problems and an evolution to the slide mounted red dot designs.

Do you know if the RMR mounts on the Docter or JP/Optima mount pattern? Or is it proprietary to Trijicon? Newest Front Sight has an SV in the front cover with an RMR mounted on it. Pretty sweet.

I have a question to add to the mount pattern question. Can anyone recommend a gunsmith who can mill a slide with the correct pattern to mount the RMR direct?

Trijicon RMR is not another puppy peeing on the same ole fire hydrant.

Upside of RMR

The RMR is a great sight...the innovation and quality of the sight greatly exceeds its competition.

Indoors or Outdoors the Dual Illumination sight is very bright. It is offered in a variety of MOA depending on the purpose.

Lifetime warranty and great customer service from Trijicon.

Downside of RMR

Its dimensions and mounting is proprietary to Trijicon. Doctor and Jpoint mounts will not work with the sight.

The sight is nearly 1.25in wide. Most 1911 slides are .920 in width. The overhang on the sides of the slide is cosmetically unappealing on a std 1911 slide

To accommodate the width of the sight we made a custom 1.25in wide slide and undercut the rear serrations to allow for thumb clearance and thumb safety function.

Trijicon lists mounts that go on Doctor, and some other "reddot" mounts but they both look the same.

I think the "Red Dot" mount they are referring to is there now discontinued "Red Dot" Model which fit the JP mounts. I will be calling them shortly to clear this up.

• 3 weeks later...

Do you know if the RMR mounts on the Docter or JP/Optima mount pattern? Or is it proprietary to Trijicon? Newest Front Sight has an SV in the front cover with an RMR mounted on it. Pretty sweet.

I have a question to add to the mount pattern question. Can anyone recommend a gunsmith who can mill a slide with the correct pattern to mount the RMR direct?

Glockwerks does it. Call Ray and tell him I sent you.

SB

well not yet, durability is still an issue, but that is the way it is with everything new, repeating handguns sucked for many years but people kept trying them because of the advantages, eventually Colt got it right. If slide rides keep being used and keep failing eventually someone will get it right, and at a price point the market will support.