Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

I DID It! - 1978 Gold Cup

doc540

I studied, read, listened, then looked high and low and saved and scrimped to be able to own one.

Arrived this afternoon and for 32 years old it's in better condition than I even hoped for!

Guess one is never too old to get excited about a Colt, huh? :o

Here's a quick pic:

DSCN2799-1.jpg

DSCN2808-1.jpg

Cool...I have one that my father bought for me new in 1983. Sadly, it's not really used for anything now, but I shot some matches with it ages ago.

Not to rain on your parade, but some/many of them from that timeframe don't shoot terribly well...their QC had really fallen off, so don't be surprised if it's underwhelming. R,

Edited by G-ManBart

Cool...I have one that my father bought for me new in 1983. Sadly, it's not really used for anything now, but I shot some matches with it ages ago.

Not to rain on your parade, but some/many of them from that timeframe don't shoot terribly well...their QC had really fallen off, so don't be surprised if it's underwhelming. R,

not to worry....I'm not riding in the same parade you're thinking of. :)

not to worry....I'm not riding in the same parade you're thinking of. :)

Don't get me wrong, I still love mine, but it's never been crazy accurate. The lug cuts in the slide are simply way too oversize. I was going to get a barrel made with double oversize lugs and then fit it, but finally realized I only shoot it for fun now anyway, so it wasn't worth the trouble. My brother-in-law has a sweet National Match model from the 50s, and the funny thing is that my barrel, in his gun, was more accurate than his barrel in his gun...and it was obvious. It was just something we tried on a lark....Go figure! R,

Far more so in 1983 when they were in or headed towards bankruptcy. Not so much yet in 1978, but true the older the commercial Colt, the more finely fitted and finished they were.

Edited by Steve J

Far more so in 1983 when they were in or headed towards bankruptcy. Not so much yet in 1978, but true the older the commercial Colt, the more finely fitted and finished they were.

Absolutely...we got mine early in 1983, and it may have been a year or so older production, but the writing was still on the wall. Sadly, the same is true of S&W....the M41 I have from 1958 is like a mirror even with decades of small wear marks. We have a 1934 .38 Super Gov't Model and 1934 .45 National Match on our display wall, and if the building ever catches on fire, I'm going to go grab those two before evacuating! The fit an finish is just amazing on them... :wub:

Nice looking gun, you did good. :cheers:

I really like the old Colts. My hardball gun was made in the 60's and has stood up well over the years that I used it. A few years ago I picked up a Colt National Match made in 1968.

People have made similar comments about Colt, every decade. The guns from the '30s were better than the '50s, the '60s were better than the '70s, Series 80 sucks, etc. I have Colts from 1918 to 2004, and they're all nice guns. New production is probably better, in terms of fit, than the beautiful guns from the '70s. You're never going to see finishes like the Series 70 on <$2000 guns in this day and age.

I have a twin of the OP gun. Mine was built in 1981. I bought it from the original owner. It had never been in a holster and according to the seller he probably shot 2 boxes of ammo through it.

The only thing missing was the box:(

It's a safe queen now:)

Edited by MichiganShootist

Very nice Gold Cup. I really like the wide trigger on the Colt target guns.

I started shooting USPSA with a well worn 1968 National Match. Finally retired that gun to the safe after 8000 or so rounds. It had at least 30,000 before I started shooting it.

I have a couple of other Gold Cups that pretty much stay in the safe too. Still love to shoot them when I have time. All of these were set up for bullseye and will shoot 2" groups at 50 yards. I don't think any out of the box Colt will do that without work.