Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

New Content Duplicate Threads

Sarge

I had been waiting to see if this showed up for anyone else before posting.

When I check new content and get multiple pages the same threads will show up repeatedly on other pages. I am not talking about the last 2 or 3 of a page showing up at the beginning of the next page. (This has always been the case for me) I'm not even sure that's normal.

As an example a post, or several posts, that shows up on page 1 sometimes shows up again on page 3 or sometimes even 3 and 4.

I, too, get that.

I logged out, then back in. I then Marked all items as read and waited a day or two and it still happens. It seems that the first couple of posts on each page are repeats from previous pages then it resumes where it should. My VNC Method is set to Show me all content that I have not read.

IE8 on Windows 7.

Edited by High Lord Gomer

I see it with VNC set to "content I haven't read" but not when it's set to "new content since my last visit."

Thanks. There is a known bug with VNC with one of those settings, but I can't remember which one. I'll look into it some more.

be

In searching IP's forums this afternoon, I've found a couple threads reporting that VNC works more consistently when your settings are set to

view new content since last visit.

So you guys getting the duplicate thread results, maybe try this:

Set your setting to show me all content I have not read, then when you are ready to leave the board for the day, mark the board as read (bottom of forum page), then log out. And report back if that helped. Regardless, if it doesn't help, I'm guessing we will have to live with it.

If that doesn't help, try the above series when you ready to leave the board the following day, but before marking as read and logging out, set your settings to:

view new content since last visit.

And see if that makes any difference.

be

Same deal for me - same topic listed on multiple pages. Also, I can see other folks new content posts, but mine take a while to pop-up. As an example - I submitted a post at 6:22PM and it still hasn't come up when I hit VNC; but other peoples posts submitted later are coming up.

Same deal for me - same topic listed on multiple pages. Also, I can see other folks new content posts, but mine take a while to pop-up. As an example - I submitted a post at 6:22PM and it still hasn't come up when I hit VNC; but other peoples posts submitted later are coming up.

I thought this was what was happening to me, when I posted a message last night -- it used to show up as the most recent thing under VNP. I thought it was not updating, until I found my post on page 6 - where the last topic on the thread was when I composed a reply - instead of moving my new reply to the front of the VNP list, it added it, but where the previous post occurred (?)

Linda Chico (L-2035)

Columbia SC

Also, I can see other folks new content posts, but mine take a while to pop-up. As an example - I submitted a post at 6:22PM and it still hasn't come up when I hit VNC; but other peoples posts submitted later are coming up.

I think this is because of the setting:

Show me all content I have not read (you just read that thread so it removes it)

so I switched to:

Show me all new content since last visit

I don't see how it can be a client side issue. Since the same items are shown multiple times. I tool some screen shots of this this morning. The posts on page one are the same as page 3. It just seems like the server is reading the times wrong and adding pages twice. well.. at least that's what it looks like..

I have a ticket open with IP on this.

On this:

I thought this was what was happening to me, when I posted a message last night -- it used to show up as the most recent thing under VNP. I thought it was not updating, until I found my post on page 6 - where the last topic on the thread was when I composed a reply - instead of moving my new reply to the front of the VNP list, it added it, but where the previous post occurred (?)

Linda Chico (L-2035)

Columbia SC

... this is a different topic. Doing a log out has been fixing this.

So please try a log out. That's returned VNC consistency for everyone except those stuck in IE 7.

A couple things. Usually new posts get updated in VNC right away. But sometimes they do take a bit. I'm not sure if I can do anything about that. With new Topics, they may take up to 15 minutes to appear in VNC.

be

With my setting of "Show me all content I have not read" I marked everything as read then logged out.

While I was logged out I hit the VNC link which takes you to all content active in the last 24 hours. It missed all of the posts in the last 2 or 3 hours AND it still exhibited the behavior of repeating some posts at the top of each page. I just did some screenshots in case they will help:

First page lists posts from 08:43 am back to 06:55 am

http://themxtrack.com/BE/AC_1a.jpg

http://themxtrack.com/BE/AC_1b.jpg

The second page erroneously contains the top 2 posts them resumes with posts from 06:55 and earlier. Page 2 ends with a post from 01:07 am

http://themxtrack.com/BE/AC_2a.jpg

http://themxtrack.com/BE/AC_2b.jpg

The third page erroneously contains the top 7 posts shown then resumes with posts from before 01:07 am

http://themxtrack.com/BE/AC_3a.jpg

http://themxtrack.com/BE/AC_3b.jpg

Edited by High Lord Gomer

Forgot to say I always keep VNC on posts since last visit. Very strange, yesterday it was working perfect and I thought maybe it had been fixed. Then today it posted the same threads 3 times on various pages. Also once today I clicked on VNC to get back to the list and got the no new content found message. I tried it two more times and all at once it came back.

Anyone else? No more duplicate threads with Traditional search? I'm guessing the lack of posts means no more duplicates.

I need to know because I'm not giving up on Sphinx, yet. Searches done with Sphinx are 90% more accurate than Traditional searches, for a forum of this size.

And we all want the search engine to be our friend.

be

I've been getting the duplicate/multiple posts ... until today. (Firefox 3.6.8 on Mac OS X 10.5.8). I always "deleted cookies" on every sign out, then hit VNC when I returned.

Looks "fixed" today. Thanks.

At this point I'm thinking a couple things.

If the only problem with VNC/Sphinx is that it gets a few duplicate threads - after you have logged out - and a search with Sphinx is approx. 90% more accurate than a Traditional search, lets just leave it to Sphinx and just ignore the duplicate threads. I know it's not perfect but having the search engine work with Sphinx is very important for a searching a database as large as ours. And it doesn't seem like it would be too difficult to overlook a few duplicate results.

And to mention again, from the Search / Sphinx thread, it appeared that logging out fixed the inconsistent results bug with Sphinx for everyone. So after I set it back to Sphinx, if you don't think VNC is returning accurate results, please include in your post that you logged, and logged back in before testing it.

I'm going to close this thread, and copy this post into a new topic.

be