Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Limited Holster

sauza45

If you were going to shoot Limited only with an Edge, what holster would you use a CR Speed or a Bladetech DOH?

With most of the starts we do in USPSA is there an advantage to a race holster?

Good question, and I've tried most of them. I've noticed a number of TOP Limited shooters with the DOH Blade Tech, however they have modified them by cutting away most of the front of the holster. This sort of equializes the playing field except for the many ways you can tilt cant etc a holster like the Ghost, which is my favorite Bikini holster. With the DOH and the cut out front the Blade Tech only requires about 1/2" of lift to clear. I've seen them break the 1 second barrier to 1st shot out of these holsters.

4 mag pouches $140.00 so a $150 holster doesn't seem to be excessive, on a $59 belt.

If you were going to shoot Limited only with an Edge, what holster would you use a CR Speed or a Bladetech DOH?

Good question, and I've tried most of them. I've noticed a number of TOP Limited shooters with the DOH Blade Tech, however they have modified them by cutting away most of the front of the holster. This sort of equializes the playing field except for the many ways you can tilt cant etc a holster like the Ghost, which is my favorite Bikini holster. With the DOH and the cut out front the Blade Tech only requires about 1/2" of lift to clear. I've seen them break the 1 second barrier to 1st shot out of these holsters.

4 mag pouches $140.00 so a $150 holster doesn't seem to be excessive, on a $59 belt.

Holy smokes Ron, you've tried a Race Master, Guga Ribas, Ghost, CR Speed, Safariland 012/013, Limcat, and Speedsec already? :surprise:

I'm not sure you're giving the top guys enough credit there. I'm far from a top Limited (or any other kind of shooter) and I can break .80 out of a stock DOH at 7-10yds pretty easily. The top guys can go even faster than that without modifying anything. I think I heard one say he got down to something like .65 and decided it wasn't worth spending any more time on it...he uses a stock DOH and I know at least a handful of the other top guys do as well. I'm not suggesting some others haven't modified theirs, but it's not really necessary.

For the OP, I don't use a DOH for Limited because I want it the same as my Open setup, but I do have a DOH as a backup. That's what I use for Production, and I wouldn't worry one bit if I was using one for Limited...works great, no real loss of speed and less expensive than the alternatives. I don't like, or trust, the CR Speed holster at all. I've seen too many guns come out of them with the "lock" engaged....if it's locked, I want it locked, not sorta locked. R

Edited by G-ManBart

Holy smokes Ron, you've tried a Race Master, Guga Ribas, Ghost, CR Speed, Safariland 012/013, Limcat, and Speedsec already? :surprise:

I'm not sure you're giving the top guys enough credit there. I'm far from a top Limited (or any other kind of shooter) and I can break .80 out of a stock DOH at 7-10yds pretty easily. The top guys can go even faster than that without modifying anything. I think I heard one say he got down to something like .65 and decided it wasn't worth spending any more time on it...he uses a stock DOH and I know at least a handful of the other top guys do as well. I'm not suggesting some others haven't modified theirs, but it's not really necessary.

For the OP, I don't use a DOH for Limited because I want it the same as my Open setup, but I do have a DOH as a backup. That's what I use for Production, and I wouldn't worry one bit if I was using one for Limited...works great, no real loss of speed and less expensive than the alternatives. I don't like, or trust, the CR Speed holster at all. I've seen too many guns come out of them with the "lock" engaged....if it's locked, I want it locked, not sorta locked. R

Mr. Bart my current collection includes an 013, Ghost, Limcat, and some Blade Tech's, Com Tac etc. I have borrowed and used a Guga Ribas, I've owned and sold 3 CR speeds, and the SPeedSec or Race Master have not kindled any interest. You are far to modest as a Master Class shooter. Not eveyone is going to make it to master.

Less than one second includes all numbers blow 1 except 0. Let me refraze that to GM's and darn fast not necessarily Top which is a undefined term.

About 80% of what people do in this sport isn't necessary. Neither is air conditioning but it sure feels good.

Hello: The Blade Tech DOH has the big advantage for a secure holster. If you drop a pistol out of the DOH holster you have just dropped your drawers :roflol: The CR Speed is not as secure as some of the newer speed holsters. If I was only shooting LImited and Production I would use a Blade Tech or Comp-Tac holster. Since I shoot Open as well I like my old school Ghost holster with the pin. I have not drilled my limited pistol grip and probibly won't. I will just use my Comp-Tac or Blade Tech DOH. Thanks, Eric

Mr. Bart my current collection includes an 013, Ghost, Limcat, and some Blade Tech's, Com Tac etc. I have borrowed and used a Guga Ribas, I've owned and sold 3 CR speeds, and the SPeedSec or Race Master have not kindled any interest. You are far to modest as a Master Class shooter. Not eveyone is going to make it to master.

Less than one second includes all numbers blow 1 except 0. Let me refraze that to GM's and darn fast not necessarily Top which is a undefined term.

About 80% of what people do in this sport isn't necessary. Neither is air conditioning but it sure feels good.

And I thought I was bad going through holsters! I don't feel so bad now :cheers:

Hey, I won't knock anybody who wants to run a race holster in Limited. I did/do, but if I was starting out, knowing what I know now, I'd probably just go with a DOH and work on technique. At the most, I'm maybe .10 faster out of a Ribas, Ghost or Race Master, and that's only in warp drive mode. It seems that the better I get, the less difference it makes, but even at back when, it wasn't really what I'd call significant enough to worry about. R,

And I thought I was bad going through holsters! I don't feel so bad now :cheers:

Hey, I won't knock anybody who wants to run a race holster in Limited. I did/do, but if I was starting out, knowing what I know now, I'd probably just go with a DOH and work on technique. At the most, I'm maybe .10 faster out of a Ribas, Ghost or Race Master, and that's only in warp drive mode. It seems that the better I get, the less difference it makes, but even at back when, it wasn't really what I'd call significant enough to worry about. R,

+1 Bart. If I was just shooting my Edge I would run a Blade tech and probably cut the front out since I am to old to spend years perfecting the long lift draw, old dogs don't un-learn old tricks very fast. I started with a blade tech and a CZ TS and fell victum to the lure of social acceptabilty and bought an STI and a CR Speed. I use the Ghost mostly because I shoot a lot of different guns, just put my belt on and throw anything into it. Every holster has at least one thing you don't like, and the Ghost is no exception. Its a poor holster for seated draws, or a long run then a draw, you can lock it then you just have to remember to hit the unlock on the way up.

By all means you got a blade tech use it and spend all the looking cool money on bullets, powder, and primers.

My last foray in to acceptabilty was a pair of Rudy's, they are collecting dust and I wear my Aviators.

+1 Bart. If I was just shooting my Edge I would run a Blade tech and probably cut the front out since I am to old to spend years perfecting the long lift draw, old dogs don't un-learn old tricks very fast. I started with a blade tech and a CZ TS and fell victum to the lure of social acceptabilty and bought an STI and a CR Speed. I use the Ghost mostly because I shoot a lot of different guns, just put my belt on and throw anything into it. Every holster has at least one thing you don't like, and the Ghost is no exception. Its a poor holster for seated draws, or a long run then a draw, you can lock it then you just have to remember to hit the unlock on the way up.

By all means you got a blade tech use it and spend all the looking cool money on bullets, powder, and primers.

My last foray in to acceptabilty was a pair of Rudy's, they are collecting dust and I wear my Aviators.

Coco, you rebel! :roflol:

For the OP.... http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=110932&hl=what competition&st=0

Edited by GrumpyOne

Well hell! I am getting ready to have an STI built, order a ghost and I wear Rudy Projects! I did not realize I was so screwed up.

Just don't show up driving a BMW wearing a Rolex and Bling. Get some jeans at Walmart and play it down a bit. :roflol: :roflol:

I was running a CR Speed when I was shooting my Glock 24 in Limited, they are nice and they are fast. I switched to a Para and a STI and got the Blade Tec DOH. I got the DOH because I was not sure if I was going to stick with a Hi Cap 1911 and did not want to drop anonther $150 on a holster. I can not really tell any differece in draw times between the CR Speed and the DOH. If you are only going to shoot limited I'd go with the Blade Tec. Depending on the way you set your rig up (mag pouch placement) you can use the same rig for Limited and Production. I went from setting my mag pouches from the front of my belt to behind the hip line. I noticed more people doing that because of the switch between limited and production so your mags and holster are always in the same place. Plus, I'm not the smallest guy in the world and having the mag pouches up front got in the way of being able to bend over. Its easier to move the pouches than loose the weight.

Thanks for all the input, I have been shooting a CR SPEED but have been thinking of switching to a BLADETECH DOH. I dont think The Speed holster is any faster

for my shooting. I have been watching all the different starts and a speed holster might help in about 25% of starts. With a hard chrome Edge finish is not a problem.

• 2 weeks later...

Ok I went to the range today and I played with the holsters. I set a target at 10 yards, draw 10 times with A zone hits.

CR speed holster avg. time 1.33, switched to the DOH avg. time 1.19. I know Iam not that fast but Iam working on that.

I think I will use the DOH for now. Not sure why I was faster with the DOH, but for me it is working. Also dont have to

worry about knocking the gun out of the DOH.

Ok I went to the range today and I played with the holsters. I set a target at 10 yards, draw 10 times with A zone hits.

CR speed holster avg. time 1.33, switched to the DOH avg. time 1.19. I know Iam not that fast but Iam working on that.

I think I will use the DOH for now. Not sure why I was faster with the DOH, but for me it is working. Also dont have to

If it ain't broke! R,

For me, that is huge. If I trust my holster I will go to the gun a lot harder.

+1 I like that the DOH just feels more secure than an race holster. The fact that it is the same draw as a production gun and similar draw to a SS is nice too. I also like it for 3gun where your are doing alot more moving with the loaded gun. I just don't truest a race holster for that