Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

to clean or not to clean

tisch006

Fairly new to reloading. I've produced approx 200 rds in the last couple of weeks.

So, do I need to worry about cleaning my primer pockets? It's kinda a pain in the rear!

I'm loading .40 s&w for a stock XD-40. I just shoot weekly matches at our local league and am shooting limited (major).

Here's what I've been using

185 berry's plated

5.4 WSF

CCI #500

OAL 1.135

Lee Breech lock

Lee 4 die set

Thanks for your opinion!:cheers:

yes, clean the brass itself in a tumbler of some kind to get the residue off, but dont waste the time/effort on the primer pocket itself. just kick the old one out, put a new one in, add powder and a bullet. shoot and repeat! :cheers:

For anything other than Benchrest, Silhouette, or long-range varmint hunting with a sub-1/2 MOA rifle, it is no more than a "feel-good" activity.

For any pistol, including bullseye, the accuracy of the gun doesn't approach the "maybe" 0.01" group improvement you might get.

• 1 month later...

I never bothered cleaning pistol brass primer pockets. I cleaned my Precision Rifle loads after every tumbling, but have since quit that. I shot a control group (.308 Match load) with and without cleaning...same group size at 600 yards! Go figure.