Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

STI TROJAN 9MM

ichetucknee

Might be the recoil spring.. If it is factory it is stiffer than required. But if it locked back previously it is probably the mags. Probably the follower is not coming up quite as high as it should. Mag lips might need reset a little wider.

Is the gun nice and clean?

Are you right handed? Your opposable digit is probably riding or bumping the slide stop.

I know a shooter that sent a SIG 220 back 2 times because it would not lock back. I was watching him shoot it, and sure enough, his thumb was riding on the slide stop.

Something to look for.

I'm a lefty using STI factory mags. I've ordered some cobra mags from Tripp research. I think I'll try to isolate the mags that have issues. I'm not really thrilled with the STI mags. I had one that lost its floorplate and became diassembled during an IDPA match while I was shooting a stage. It dumped all the ammo out of my pistol. There it laid on the ground next to the mag spring, follower, floor plate and bumper. I ejected the tube from my magwell, inserted a new mag and went on my way. That was pretty interesting. STI replaced the mag for free but still...

I used to have the same problem with my well-worn Wilson .45 ACP 8-rounders when they got a bit dirty. Invariably breaking down the mags and cleaning them resulted in 100 percent lockback on every empty mag again. Once I figured out the source of the problem, I used to break down and clean every one of my 8-round mags right before the monthly IDPA match, and I never had a failure to lock back on a slidelock reload at a match. I'd suggest cleaning your mags before anything else, and see if that solves the problem.

I had the same issue even with an M&P mag. Just dirty. Riding the slide stop on a 1911 is pretty tough, it's pretty far forward, likely not the issue.

Make sure your slide stop and barrel are lubed. Put a "swipe" of oil on the back side of the slide stop lever where the plunger hits it. The plunger tip is a bearing surface and needs a touch of oil.

Most likely the mags, but there are other things to check too.

Put a "swipe" of oil on the back side of the slide stop lever where the plunger hits it. The plunger tip is a bearing surface and needs a touch of oil.

Interesting. I've never head that before. I've always preferred to keep lube, as much as possible, away from that area. I figure oil on the slide stop-to-follower contact area translates to oil on the follower, i.e. oil down inside my magazine where it can attract crud. I like keeping the mag as "dry" as possible. Different strokes for different folks, I guess. :)

My STI Trojan in 40 S&W was not locking back and I traced it back to some of the magazines. I will probably have to replace the springs on those magazines. In 9mm I shoot a Dan Wesson PM-9 using Metalform 38 Super magazines and they function perfectly - at $12.99 each I doubt it would be worth replacing springs if they ever stopped working.

If you are running the stock recoil spring with light ammo like 115 gr white box or similar, replace the spring with a 10 lb. to start and you can even go lighter if needed. Personally I run a 9 lb recoil spring with 15 lb. mainspring and do use shock buffs.

I run a 9lb recoil spring, no shock buff and a 15lb main spring in my 9mm Trojan. Ended up putting an Aftec extractor and a .201 Wilson slide stop to get it eject and go to slide lock every time. I'm using Wilson 10 round magazines with two coils off the magazine springs.

Didn't take long for the stock ejector to break, check to see if the mags hit the ejector with the slide off. STI replaced the ejector with a 38/40 ejector. I believe the newer guns come with a better design on the ejector.

I run a 9lb recoil spring, no shock buff and a 15lb main spring in my 9mm Trojan. Ended up putting an Aftec extractor and a .201 Wilson slide stop to get it eject and go to slide lock every time. I'm using Wilson 10 round magazines with two coils off the magazine springs.

Didn't take long for the stock ejector to break, check to see if the mags hit the ejector with the slide off. STI replaced the ejector with a 38/40 ejector. I believe the newer guns come with a better design on the ejector.

You have to run Federal primers with that 15lb main spring ?

Wilsons hit the ejector in my Dan Wesson PM-9.. Trips do not. I have had to adjust the tab on the follower out some to hit the slide stop 100%, and still have some issues intermittently. Im going to look at fitting a new stop to see if that fixes the issue. I run an 8lb spring.

The only primers I've used with the 15lb mainspring are Winchester Small Pistol and I haven't had one miss fire in over a thousand rounds. Had a 17lb in the gun for a long time just thought I would give the 15lb a try and it has worked very well.

• 1 month later...

I'm thinking of buying a Trojan 9mm but what puts me off is the seemingly high number of instances of guys having nagging issues and/or having to replace/upgrade parts (replacing ejectors, putting in Aftecs, etc)... Almost seems like I'd be paying almost double over a Spartan just to get the ramped barrel and undercut trigger-guard while still having to change or upgrade the same things, and then get reliable mags. What do you guys think?

Edited by ck1

CK1: At the risk of starting a flame war... That's the nature of 1911's, they can be temperamental especially with mags. 1911's in non-traditional calibers (9mm, .40) are even more more temperamental than the traditional (.45 & 38 Supah) chamberings. Not to mention many people, including myself are of the fix-until-broken mindset. The only thing about the Trojan that feels cheap is the slop in the trigger. Everything else feels and works pretty well on my Trojan.

CK1: At the risk of starting a flame war... That's the nature of 1911's, they can be temperamental especially with mags. 1911's in non-traditional calibers (9mm, .40) are even more more temperamental than the traditional (.45 & 38 Supah) chamberings. Not to mention many people, including myself are of the fix-until-broken mindset. The only thing about the Trojan that feels cheap is the slop in the trigger. Everything else feels and works pretty well on my Trojan.

Thanks, guess i'm still on the fence about 9mm 1911's in-general, seems the Trojan is about the best of the breed and maybe I'm just picking up on guys trying to tune all the bad manners out of them that they can. Seems there are some things that just go with the territory when dealing with a platform that was originally designed for the longer OAL cartridge in .45.