Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Would You Be Interested?

As I'm sure some of you are aware several of the gun forums run regular virtual matches, so a user will come up with some sort of course of fire for the month, people go out and shoot it, report their scores, and there is a winner who gets nothing but bragging rights. These are usually limited to just regular target type shooting with variance in kind of target, distance, shooting position, etc.

So I thought that it would be fun to do something similar here. But of course we would use IPSC type stages with IPSC targets, equipment, etc. So we could come up with a simple stage (ie minimum of props, etc.) and then those who want to shoot it could and we could compare our scores. I presume that many of us have access to regular IPSC equipment (targets, stands, poppers, etc.).

So good idea or bad? Would you participate?

RTR,

My first thought was Great Idea! It really did sound like fun. Then I started thinking how we could be sure we were all shooting the same match. The classifiers came to mind within a second or so. But of course we already post them here. ......... ;)

Count me in! Just need to put up a diagram of the COF set up, so we can all set it up the same. How many people are going to shoot it say 10 times, and then post their best run? Oh well, it's not like we would be shooting for anything more than bragging right likes you said. Sounds like a really cool idea.

How many people are going to shoot it say 10 times, and then post their best run?

The other online matches allow this, I think it's a good idea, that is kind of the point, by shooting the stage lots of times you'll improve various skills, so I don't see any reason NOT to shoot it a bunch of times, or to even shoot it, report your times and learn from how others approached it, then shoot it again, this way when you have to do similar things in real matches you would be better at them.

Maybe when we report our results we should specify whether it's a first run through the course, or that we've practiced a few (or many) times. Since it's just for fun, that should help adjust for any practicing discrepancies.

Maybe when we report our results we should specify whether it's a first run through the course, or that we've practiced a few (or many) times. Since it's just for fun, that should help adjust for any practicing discrepancies.

Agreed, here's what I envision. At the beginning of the month the previous month's winner will post a course of fire, it shouldn't be too complex, shouldn't require too many props, etc.

Once someone shoots it they report, their gun, division, classification, best time, and best score, and first time and first score if they would like.

I suppose we can change the rules every month, that would make it more fun. So who wants to design and run the first one?

How about the first run counts, but we can all compare our subsequent runs? That would lead to a lot of discussion about how and why and where we shaved time.

I'll volunteer for the first stage. I'll make it USPSA legal, not prop heavy so nearly everyone can set it up, and I'll make it division friendly.

How about the first run counts, but we can all compare our subsequent runs? That would lead to a lot of discussion about how and why and where we shaved time.

I'll volunteer for the first stage. I'll make it USPSA legal, not prop heavy so nearly everyone can set it up, and I'll make it division friendly.

Sounds good, however in the future I think whoever runs the monthly match should be able to dictate the rules. So why don't you post a new thread where appropriate with the stage diagram and the rules, that will be the official thread where all discussion and results will be posted. Then at the end of the month you can post the final results.

This idea came up a while back...but never got off the ground here.

- You'd need to do one stage a month...since everybody has matches on different weekends.

- You'd need to decide the stages well in advance. (it would be good to get a few months worth ready to go)

- The stages would likley need to be easy to setup (no fancy props that some clubs might not have), and easy to get approved by clubs that have a committee that selects their stages.

I'm sure there are lots of logistics to be worked out. If you guys get it all figured out, let me know. I'll then look into the possiblity of adding a sub-forum for these postal matches.

It sure is a great idea - that is if you have a place to set up a stage. Now if all I can do is limited to a lane in an indoor shooting range - it's not as great. It's like being forever preDQed <_<<_<<_< , and all you can shoot with is your keyboard :blink::blink::blink: .

How about adding a simplified version, which would be more practical for beginners like myself, where a certain drill is offered, shot, reported and discussed, and may be more experienced shooters can offer some advise?

I would certainly appreciate this a lot.

Vlad

This idea came up a while back...but never got off the ground here.

- You'd need to do one stage a month...since everybody has matches on different weekends.

- You'd need to decide the stages well in advance. (it would be good to get a few months worth ready to go)

- The stages would likley need to be easy to setup (no fancy props that some clubs might not have), and easy to get approved by clubs that have a committee that selects their stages.

I'm sure there are lots of logistics to be worked out. If you guys get it all figured out, let me know. I'll then look into the possiblity of adding a sub-forum for these postal matches.

Kyle, I don't think the idea was to have the different club matches put it on, but that would be ok. I think we would just pick a practice weekend, set it up, and report what we did. But it could be shot at a club match, and besides, that would add the ultimate match realism, because it is in a match.

Oh...well I have an idea then... :D

Stick the stage in a local match. B)

Other than that, you are talking about a practice drill...which we have a forum for (and anbody could post a "setup" in).

I'd like to see a true "postal match". Where we set the stage up exactly the same from club to club (just like classifiers).

I think about 5-6 months worth would be doable (some matches shut down in winter).

We could then get somebody to run the scores in the scoring software, inputing them each month.

Hands up anybody that remembers the first "internetal" match?

3 stages, organized on and run on the IPSC e-mail list, I think by the infamous DOG, probably in the early 90's.

Maybe Rob B remembers more (heck, he's probably got archives)

Might be fun to run the same stages again and see where we are 10 years later.

I fear one of the stages might have been fixed-time though.

I'm in also...

For me it works best if I can set it up in an indoor range (no steel allowed) the range is about 10 yards wide by 30 yard deep.

I think this is a great idea.

1. let's you judge yourself against a bigger group of people.

2. provides people with an reason to go to the range again.

3. how many times can you really draw and fire two then repeat? LOL

Bob

Bob, if you read further up, I have already volunteered to write up the first CoF. I'm just waiting to see what everybody hashes out. Should we have the first 'online match' in March? I could start a new thread with the CoF, then everybody has until the end of March to set it up and shoot it and submit the scores to me. I have the EZWinscore software, so I can score it. I think we should do first run counts, then go ahead and submit all runs. Honor system!