Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Keeping the 47D's running

Aristotle

Up until now I've been very happy with my Wilson 47D's. They always ran for me, and were bullet proof. But I put the SSTK away for a long while playing in Open. I shot SSTK at a local match a few weeks ago, and I couldn't get my mags to drop both at slide lock, and during speed reloads on several occasions. Needless to say, this threw off my rythmn, when I hit that mag button, I'm expecting to be driving a fresh mag into a vacant magwell. I had other failures at this match that may also be pointing towards magazine failures. It's entirely possible I may have realized the life span of these magazines because they should have around 35k or more through them by now, with very little service sporting original springs and followers.

I number my mags, but they are becoming sporadic performers, and they all seem to be suspect. Is it time for a fresh set? or can I salvage these? I've reworked them more than a couple times already via my vice trick, but even that is not seeming to hold up anymore.

Another option is going to another brand mag I have had my eye's on already, which is the checkmate magazines. Needless to say, I am losing faith in my, once trusty SSTK, to the point that I picked up a new gun to shoot IDPA in SSP and seriously considering changing divisions before our state match.

Another well known, and very good local SSTK shooter once mentioned that he had a "secret combination" of springs, followers that he uses that he claims is bullet proof, but he was also tight lipped about said combination. Anyone using something different they have found works and is willing to share?

Thoughts, opinions???

I don't know of any secret formula for parts. I just brush clean them during matches, disassemble clean and lube after the match. Change springs every year. Prior to each match, I make sure they will drop free. If they drag, I fill them with dummy rounds and whack them with a plastic mallet to get them back to shape (this was advised by a WC tech!). Or you can buy other stuff and start over figuring out what works!

Later,

Chuck

I clean mine by soaking the tubes (and all the metal parts) for a couple days in a mixture of Kroil penetrating oil and Hoppe's #9.

Then a good cleaning and lastly polish the out side with metal polish.

Also-- check out the inside of your grip. That area generally gets very little cleaning and can cause mags to "not" drop free.... as can a too tight rubberized grip.

The feed lips open up. I made a tool that I insert where the top round sits, then...big mallet. The tool is there so I don't overdo it. My mags got to the point that the new spring/follower combo I installed came out the top. Make sure the mag tunnel (frame) is clean.

Excellent, that was the sort of thing I was looking for. I'll break them all down and give them a thorough cleaning, something I haven't done in a while actually and also clean out the inside of my magwell/frame.

Shaun, do you use calipers to verify said whacking was enough? If so, what measurement do you shoot for?

I use the ammo as a gauge, but you can certainly use calipers to compare the front to the rear. Before taking the mallet to them, defenitely check your mag tunnel. Carbon builds up pretty bad in there. Even to as low as half way down.

Also take the mag catch out and test insert all your mags to see exactly where they are rubbing. If they aren't rubbing with the mag catch out, that's another issue.

If they are rubbing, it's usually the area forward of the actual feed lips. The straight wall area. I need to take pictures of this stuff. It's far easier than describing it.

sorry-

I played this game last year vise/vice whatever big mallet etc. prior to the WSSSC in ARizona, I finally called Wilson, tech support, or whatever, explained what was going on.....long story short, I mailed him 8 old wilson 47d, and got eight new 47d in the mail maybe a month later? problem solved.

best of luck!

I only have one 47D, it lives in my carry pistol, no trouble so far. I have 10-12 of the Wilson 10 round mags. I will admit that they get cleaned once a year (If I shoot in the mud I will wash them out or swish them in a clean puddle between stages). After four years of dropping them on concrete at an indoor range, some of them got to where I could no longer bend the feed lips back and have them hold position. The mags ran fine but like yours, would not drop free. At a friends urging, I called Wilson and they said "send them back". I sent the five most used mags back and in two weeks I had five brand new mags on my front porch when I came home. You can't beat service like that. :cheers:

Hurley

I emailed Wilson Combat, so we'll see what they say.

I stripped my 1911 down to the frame, scrubbed the inside of my magwell/frame with some powerful carbon cleaner and a scouring pad, and then did a slight polish. Re-polished my mag release and test fitted the magazines. Sure enough, I found 4/8 primary game mags are "hanging up" with the frame completely stripped, including mag release and trigger. Funny thing is, the calipers were reading very inconsistent, even with the mags that worked. Measurements were taken at three area's of the lips, because that's where it seems to be hanging up, way up high on the magwell, the mags would only drop about half an inch and get stuck, not even vigorously wiggling it would shake them loose, you had to grab them and rip them out. Slowly I started adding parts and test fitting the mags, and it remained consistent, the same 4, every time were hanging up every time. Eventually I put the entire gun back together, and nothing's changed, they still hung up. So at the very least, I found the 4 culprits, and have a solid 4 that should work fine. I have already had my match ammo rolled up, ready to go. Pretty sure I may stick in CDP.

Edited by Aristotle

Rub a little blue sharpie on the outside of the mags, toward the top where you think they are sticking. I bet they are rubbing at the front of the mag, just forward of where the feed lips are bent over. Plastic mallet time. Then send them back after the match.

I even bring my hammer to matches with me....