Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Mossberg 590 vs. Benelli Supernova

DyNo!

Which is better and why?

Both are cheap and easy to reload.

Is this even a question?

Yup - I've not had experience with either of them. I've fired a Mossberg 500 and I own a Benelli M1. Which one did you pick and why?

Edited by DyNo!

The Nova is the easiest shotgun to load out there, except maybe a Saiga. The port is huge, the carrier stays up after the first shell, and there is a ton of material around the loading port to remove if you want to make it like a funnel. Everything on it is nice and smooth, you only need to carry 2 band-aids in your range bag when shooting HM with one. I carry 4 band-aids because I currently use an 870.

You also have 8 votes now between the two. That means there are only about 3 HM shooters left that haven't voted in the poll. Trapr, Pat Kelly, and Michael Fordyce are on their way to the Pan Am. :roflol: They may vote when they get home.

Edited by Bryan 45

The only advantage of the Super Nova is the interchangable butt stock. But, I don't believe Benelli makes one that is 1" shorter, which is the only one worth changing to. I also am not a fan of pistol grip shotguns. For me, the pistol grip slows down transitions.

Glad to see you getting interested in HM! :) You start shooting it though and I will no longer be the youngest HM shooter....

The standard Nova is the ticket in my humble opinion. Plus it is easy on the wallet. A 24" vent rib, the +5 tube of your choice ( I think the Nordic looks coolest) and a Nordic clamp (unless you can find better). And it is ready to play. You can modify it as you see fit, just don't change the stock mag tube follower, most after market followers won't work very well.

Glad to see you getting interested in HM! :) You start shooting it though and I will no longer be the youngest HM shooter....

I didn't think about that. :roflol:

I've got an M1A Scout and a 1911 and in 2011, I'm planning on shooting some heavy metal in addition to Open for multigun.

Look forward to competing with you five! :lol:

I'll be hopping on a Nova when I come across a good deal with some money in my pocket - thanks for the help!

Edited by DyNo!

I bought a Supernova to replace my 590 for 3-gun.

Pros:

Chokes

Slicker action (basically pumps itself backwards on recoil)

Longer barrel

Reloading- can fit 2 shells in port at a time

More versatile- I could easily shoot skeet, trap or hund with this due to the chokes and barrel.

Cons:

More money

Parts harder to find

Can't fit very many shells on side of receiver

Safety (can be a pro or a con depending on your preference)

• 2 months later...
You also have 8 votes now between the two. That means there are only about 3 HM shooters left that haven't voted in the poll. Trapr, Pat Kelly, and Michael Fordyce are on their way to the Pan Am. :roflol: They may vote when they get home.

The guy who won Pan Am (standard manual) this year, he used an 870 right? I wonder if he used the Express furniture I sold him? :)

Edited by Rynnäkökivääri 62

I've been using a Mossberg 590 since I started shooting 3-gun about 5 years ago. I liked the 20" barrel and the 8 round tube it comes with. I didn't have any issues with it what-so-ever until this year when I went to the FN's Midwest 3-Gun. What I found is that I had a harder time knocking down a 4x4 steel plate at a longer distance. With the improved cylinder-only barrel, I couldn't make the pattern any tighter unless I run a #6 shot.

I just recently retired my Mossberg and bought a 24" Benelli Supernova. I have not used it in an actual match yet but just like diablodawg wrote, I like the versatility, the interchangeable chokes, longer barrel with a matching extended tube that holds 9 rounds easily, and the action is a lot more slicker.

And thanks to diablodawg's posting, I did find that I could line up two rounds in the port and load them both in the tube in one push. A big plus as the shotgun eats a lot of time to reload.

Not a fan of ghost ring sights....and hate pistol grip stocks. So, I'd go with the 590.

I have an old 590A1 with aluminum trigger gaurd and steel safety....old enough that it's a pretty smooth action even. I like the absence of a loading gate and with a little milling...it way wide ope to load. I use to show people how I'd load six a time.....not even looking where the shells were going. And I put on a cut down choate 1 shot extension so I could get 9+1 and be legal for SOF rules....using extended chokes.

On the other hand.....If I still shot HeMan (hell, if I still shot 3 gun), I might try a super nova with a standard stock and extension. I really like the way the lifter stays down once you load the first shell....could be quite a funnel in the making there. Also....that feature would make for a great shotgun to load up european style!!

Tim

Edited by TRUBL

The Nova is the easiest shotgun to load out there, except maybe a Saiga. The port is huge, the carrier stays up after the first shell, and there is a ton of material around the loading port to remove if you want to make it like a funnel. Everything on it is nice and smooth, you only need to carry 2 band-aids in your range bag when shooting HM with one. I carry 4 band-aids because I currently use an 870.

I only have one opportunity to shoot a match that runs a HM class, and that is RM3G. I recently made the switch from a well worn 870 to the Benelli Nova. I picked up a 24"VR in a local pawn shop for dirt cheap and put a Nordic +5 extension on it. The ability to run chokes and the VR barrel are the way to go. I prefer straight stocks, but a pistol grip can be run just as easily (look at Taran Butler with his auto).

The 590 is a good fighting gun, but the lack of chokes limits your ammo and engagement possibilities when shooting 3 gun. The ghost rings are tough when shooting aerials. I ran ghost rings the first two matches and I found that the VR was the way to go.

I ran a Supernova at LaRue 2009 and it was a less than stellar performer. It choked on me during a combo stage and left me with 4 FTE's before I could proceed with the handgun. The action locked solid with a live round on top of the shell lifter. We forced the shell out of the ejection port with a screwdriver, but the action was still frozen solid. I had to dissassemble the gun in a safe area to clear the magazine tube. The trigger group was removed and the action was then free. I reassembled the gun and if performed flawlessly for the rest of the match. A half dozen knowledgable shooters looked at it and could find no problems. I sold it at the next gun show. That was the end of Supernovas for me.

I see no downside to the Nova for HM. Now if I can shoot it as fast as Patrick Kelly runs his Winchester I would have something.

Edited by ShootfastRunfaster

Add chokes and a long forcing cone and drop the ghost rings.

If I were to shoot HM, I'd probably go to a 500 Mariner Persuader with the 20" barrel, fiberglass stocks, and Marine-coat finish.

It won't scratch up and it's a bit lighter than the 590A1 with the heavy thick barrel. Unless you just HAVE to have a bayonet lug....

The thick barrel on the 590A1 allows it to be threaded for chokes. And used stocks are cheap and can be cut down. The Benelli, however, does have the aforementioned pluses in loading and smoothness of cycling. Personally, I use the 590A1 as it is built like a tank.

And thanks to diablodawg's posting, I did find that I could line up two rounds in the port and load them both in the tube in one push. A big plus as the shotgun eats a lot of time to reload.

You're welcome, Villa. In the spirit of the thread, I changed my avatar. :ph34r: