Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Grip Strength and Training

I usually warm up with the sport, then workout with the trainer and the #1. I can almost close the #1 with my left hand and I can close it with my right once or twice but it is tough. Don't forget to use the expand your hands bands to work the extensors and balance your hand muscles.

CAZ

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As a sports medical physician I want to weigh in and point out some things.

For those that shoot limited and or use the classic, thumbs forward technique in open, there is no doubt that strength training of the hand (and fore arm) muscles help with shooting performance. And I think all of the devices and methods mentioned in this thread work to a helpful degree.

HOWEVER, the use of the methods described, strengthen “grip” or opposable muscles of the hand. In the classic method of shooting, this natural opposable grip is NOT used and the thumb is not used. So yes, they do strengthen the hand but NOT in the manner most folks grip the gun. There is some spill over to other forearm muscles that are used in classic method which, is what helps manage recoil and are trained when using opposable grip trainers.

In Brian’s language of awareness of the “set” of feelings with grip, the “set” is considerably different with the trainers than with actual “set” management of recoil. So there is some muscle memory retraining , or different memories from grip training to shooting.

For those that shoot Open, the “set” of feeling with grip trainers is almost identical to those used in the *thumb rest [generic]* ® method. So grip trainers have more muscle memory specificity as applied to the *thumb rest [generic]* ® method.

But here is the real advantage of the *thumb rest [generic]* ® method. NO increase of normal everyday strength is required to get superior recoil management using the *thumb rest [generic]* ® method. Mechanical advantage is so much higher than even small folks with weak hands can effectively manage recoil and flip.

So yes, they do strengthen the hand but NOT in the manner most folks grip the gun .... In Brian's language of awareness of the "set" of feelings with grip, the "set" is considerably different with the trainers than with actual "set" management of recoil. So there is some muscle memory retraining , or different memories from grip training to shooting.

OK, so for Production shooters, what kind(s) of hand/forearm strengthening exercises do you recommend?

Per dynamometer, my grip is 95-100# bilaterally. I can almost close the Trainer; I suspect some of the limitation is the size of my hands (size 6-6.5 surgical gloves). However, there is still some issue with recoil management in the left hand.

Open for workable suggestions. I'm already working with baoding balls for dexterity and with various rubber bands/tubing for extensor strength. I have access to various free weights.

Thanks much!

So yes, they do strengthen the hand but NOT in the manner most folks grip the gun .... In Brian's language of awareness of the "set" of feelings with grip, the "set" is considerably different with the trainers than with actual "set" management of recoil. So there is some muscle memory retraining , or different memories from grip training to shooting.

OK, so for Production shooters, what kind(s) of hand/forearm strengthening exercises do you recommend?

Per dynamometer, my grip is 95-100# bilaterally. I can almost close the Trainer; I suspect some of the limitation is the size of my hands (size 6-6.5 surgical gloves). However, there is still some issue with recoil management in the left hand.

Open for workable suggestions. I'm already working with baoding balls for dexterity and with various rubber bands/tubing for extensor strength. I have access to various free weights.

Thanks much!

For production, use the same exercises as for limited.

If you can do 100# with a grip meter that is pretty good and probably plenty of strength for production.

If you have a numerical grip meter here is something I strongly advise all shooters to try. First find your maximum number of pounds you can grip with non dominant hand and 100# is pretty good for a strong male. THEN, don’t use your thumb and squeeze as hard as you can and you will see the pound number drop dramatically. THEN, put your non dominant hand in the shooting position, cammed forward (medical term of art is ulnar deviation of wrist) and without the thumb see what number you can achieve. You will be amazed that if you start at 100# you will end up at about 15 to 20 # and that all you can use for shooting (at maximum effort).

It’s also one reason why it is so hard to “get a grip” with traditional grip method. You cant use 100 % of 20# all the time so it is even less that you have to work with for most shots. And this is also one reason why you have to do a bunch of other stuff to control recoil.

On a completely different note, the posters have mentioned many fine products. One of my favorites is the Gripmaster ®. The reason is you can squeeze each finger individually. And the best part is there is a plastic rail on top with post and notch sight so you can see if the “sight” moves when you squeeze with thumb, middle, ring, and pinky, then you can see if “sight” moves when you add the index (trigger finger) squeeze. This exercise will dramatically prove to you it is very difficult to nearly impossible to have precise trigger control when you have a maximum grip with dominant hand.

Edited by Aloha Robert

You will be amazed that if you start at 100# you will end up at about 15 to 20 # and that all you can use for shooting (at maximum effort).

Heading over to the PT office tomorrow to measure this ....

I've wondered about the apparent mis-match between dynamometer grip and the "C-clamp" support hand grip. I'm wondering if there would be value to using one of the "lighter" Captains of Crush grippers: support arm extended in shooting position, wrist ulnar-deviated, squeeze the gripper between the fingers (distal phalanges) and the thenar thumb ("heel of the hand")? Might try that while I'm bothering the PT's as well ...

Thanks for the intel.

I'm fascinated by this discussion and have been spending a lot of time increasing my hand strength with the CoC grippers. I'm now closing the 1.5 where I couldnt get much out of the trainer when I started.

What I've net is a MARKED improvement in sight tracking and faster followups. I can say with absolute certainty that I can hold on to the gun better and it returns to neutral faster.

I am going a different direction with my grip strength and training. I like the CoC and think its good for overall hand strength but I love revolvers and I like to use my stock S&W during practice to strengthen my trigger finger. After running the trigger on a 10lb + double action revolver my SV trigger sure does feel short and light.

• 4 weeks later...

I know this thread is probably dead, but you can also try a bucket of rice. drive you hand into the rice and open/close repeatedly. this conditions all of the muscles in one workout.

Nice! Very Kung Fu like.

When I worked full time as an atuo mechanic, I had a naturally crushing strong grip. But that went away when I started shooting full time. So I incorporated many grip and hand strength increasing excercises into my daily training routine.

be

Is there a quality difference between say the CoC trainers and say these: http://shootersconne...STER-P1146.aspx

Im lokoing to try something, just curious as to what exactly i should be looking for... :mellow:

I have yet to meet any variation of that device that comes even remotely close to the strength of a "T" CoC grip trainer. IMO "T" and "1" represent something within the capability of the average adult male without being too careful (you might need something to get you to the T trainer though depending on where you are at). I ahven't met a 1.5 in the flesh, but a 2 can cause you harm if you aren't careful with technique, 3 even more so.

CoC now has mini trainers that are lighter and half length if you feel some of the digits are getting underserved. 

I'd recommend the twist-o-grip too, but they appear to no longer exist. 

• 2 months later...

Being a shooter and moto-x and snowmachine racer for the last 25 years one of the best and simplest exercise for the arms and grip is pretty simple cut a broom stick 30" long about 6'of 1/4" line 1 gallon jug of water standing roll it up and down first knuckles up then knuckles down at first you can't do very many in a couple of weeks you can get to 100 Guarantee you will have a good grip and super forearms. Mark,

Reading the previous posts I find the point made by Aglifter very correct. He points out that there are several forms of grip strength.

This also implies there are different form of training for each type of strength. Lifting a cup of coffee involves about 70 muscles (source discovery science the human body). This will be comparable to holding a gun, maybe even more when we're trying to manage recoil.

Improving your ability to controle recoil is the object we're trying to achieve, having an ultra strong grip is one way to achieve this. Training for better recoil management should be seen from the whole.

I have made this mistake in the past being a rockclimber. I focussed on the wrong things, the result was chronic tendonites in all fingers but my thumbs for over 3 years. The 3 years are the result of ignoring the need for the body to recover from this kind of injuries, I just wasn't able to take enough rest.

This history made me nervous for hand excercises like the ones that are mentioned here. They got a bad reputation in the climbing community, because of the injuries that could happen form training to much with these things.

something I learned and is usefull for shooting is that you only want to be able to 'tighten' the correct muscles and nothing more. If not muscles other muscles that are needed in recoil control are tight and loose some of there function in recoil control. (reading this sentence I don't think it is clear for everybody but this is my best for now).

One of the things I missed but seen elswere on the forum is the distinction in large muscles for strength and small muscles used in motor control. The require a different training approach.

My tip would be use different types of training for improving your gripping strenth to improve your recoil control.

Rick

Please explain the difference between overpowering the gun by squeezing too hard, and this type of training? Or possibly the better question is why a strong grip when we wre not supposed to grip too firmly?

Is it just a relative term? For example, someone with strong grip strength but a relaxed yet firm grip will still have a more secure and better grip than someone that has a weak grip and squeezes so hard they are tense?

Thank you,

WG

In reference to the grip exercises for shooting. This is about bouth grip and wrist strength. One with out the other will not be as useful. Jeff Martone , DOE and kettlebell king made some exercises for us shooters to assist with our grip maintence training. He would use mid size kettlebell and hold it upside down with a 90 degree angle at elbow. He would then straighten his arm up for reps keeping the kettlebell stable. After 3-4 reps is will start to wobble. He then went into a exercise with the kettle bell specifically to strengthen wrists. THe kettle bell woudl be placed on the floor with the handle portion down. You then hold the sides of the kettlebell with thumbs foward of course, in this position. TOns of stabalizing going on. IF you can perfrom a couple of push ups from this position. THe handle on the floor will make you focus on core strengh and maintain a solid grip. When your grip shifts, you will begin to lose stability. He would then do kettlebell swings in front of him. He would "toss" a midsize kettlebell for swings and switch hands to catch it, however while in motion prior to switching hands he would tap the ketttlebell twice, mostly for hand eye coordination and re catch it before it fell. Jeff is super stong in kettlebell and very versed in handgun manipulation. Give it a try...

Please explain the difference between overpowering the gun by squeezing too hard, and this type of training? Or possibly the better question is why a strong grip when we wre not supposed to grip too firmly?

Is it just a relative term? For example, someone with strong grip strength but a relaxed yet firm grip will still have a more secure and better grip than someone that has a weak grip and squeezes so hard they are tense?

Thank you,

WG

It's relative. If I can now exert a maximum of 100 lbs of force with my hand, I can, let's say, apply 50 lbs of usable force while gripping the gun before the tension become counterproductive. If through training, my grip increases to 120 lbs, now I can apply 60 lbs of usable force without tension becoming a problem.

Or something like that. I just threw those numbers out there.

Bottom line -- there aren't many sports where being stronger isn't a benefit.

A month ago I added a grip and forearm specific lifts to my strength training, and as someone warned (Jake, I think) you need to be careful about overdoing it. My hands were sore, and not in a good way, for about a week. I eased off and don't think I did any damage, but I could tell I would have if I continued at the same pace.

Edited by Leozinho

Thank you,

WG

It's relative. If I can now exert a maximum of 100 lbs of force with my hand, I can, let's say, apply 50 lbs of usable force while gripping the gun before the tension become counterproductive. If through training, my grip increases to 120 lbs, now I can apply 60 lbs of usable force without tension becoming a problem.

Or something like that. I just threw those numbers out there.

Makes total sense, and is what I suspected. I had just never really thought about it.

Ron Avery had a article in Front Sight last year about grip training and the CoC grippers. I ran the info by an acquaintance who is an old-school powerlifter, arm wrestler and trainer. He agreed with it. I have several and am impressed with the results. Lot of information on grip training on Ironmind's site as well.

I'm a limited shooter and have been using the gripmaster. However, after a match my wrists are sore. I'm guessing there are some additional exercises that would help the wrist, but didn't see them in this thread.

Thanks, Rick

Read Ron Avery had a article in Front Sight Sept./Oct. 2008 or you can buy a lot of information on grip training on Ironmind's site. http://ironmind-store.com/

Here some books for you http://ironmind-store.com/Grip-Training-Program-for-Shooters/productinfo/1442-AV/ and http://ironmind-store.com/Captains-of-Crush-Grippers-book-Second-Edition/productinfo/1354/

Referring to the CofC grippers, I use the S to warm up and the #1 to do three sets 10 reps each hand. I then use the bands to exercise extensors.

I feel I get the greatest and most beneficial results using the Iron Mind Egg. It allows you to feel even tension on each finger. When you feel the small finger letting go you can adjust.

i had gotten away from this due to more arthritis. After returning to it I find the stiffness and pain going away.

Link to hand health package

Ron Avery had a article in Front Sight last year about grip training and the CoC grippers. I ran the info by an acquaintance who is an old-school powerlifter, arm wrestler and trainer. He agreed with it. I have several and am impressed with the results. Lot of information on grip training on Ironmind's site as well.

I'm a limited shooter and have been using the gripmaster. However, after a match my wrists are sore. I'm guessing there are some additional exercises that would help the wrist, but didn't see them in this thread.

Thanks, Rick

Read Ron Avery had a article in Front Sight Sept./Oct. 2008 or you can buy a lot of information on grip training on Ironmind's site. http://ironmind-store.com/

Here some books for you http://ironmind-store.com/Grip-Training-Program-for-Shooters/productinfo/1442-AV/ and http://ironmind-store.com/Captains-of-Crush-Grippers-book-Second-Edition/productinfo/1354/

Thanks for the info. I went to USPSA website, but didn't see an option to get past articles and I've only been a member since July 2010 (probably obvious!). If there is a way to retrieve it, I'd be most grateful for the link.

Thanks,

RIck

Edited by austin rick

Lift weights, mostly free-weights, for 20 years!

I dead-lift 315lbs pretty regularly, without wraps...

Lat pulldowns, curls, high rows, shrugs... Not only build your grip, but the rest of your back musculature too!

No grip pressure issue here...

JeffWard