Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Switching guns?

LINC

So do any of the more experienced shooters here go back and forth between different guns? I have been shooting an xdm 9, and recently got a glock 35 to shoot. Really liked the way the glock felt and have been shooting both in practice but I'm noticing my overall shooting seems to be getting worse from switching back and forth. Once I put about a hundred rounds through the xdm today it seemed that I got the timing of the gun back down and started shooting better. Should I just pick one and stick with it? I bought the glock to shoot in uspsa production and move on to limited but the 9s cheaper to shoot. Thought I would atleast stick with the 9 until I was classified, only two matches so far.

First thing is you have to decide if you are in this just for fun or if you are serious about results. At my age given my extreme late start in the game I'm in it for the enjoyment, so I shoot what ever I want when I feel like shooting it. It is a very expensive fault I have. I joined a practice group led by a GM, since I showed up with my Limited gun he talked to me at length about shooting one gun. About half way thru the practice he noticed I had switched from my HPF Edge to my Infinity limited gun, of course I got to hear about that.

I can verify that sticking with one will make you better with that gun provided you practice the correct technique, and any time you shoot a different gun you will have to re-learn. All match expierence contributes to your gun handling skills, mental game and your ability to break down stages so its not a total loss, foot work is the same no matter which gun you are shooting so you can work on that as well.

Recently while RO'ing a major match a couple very good shooters, not sure they were world class or not, had just miserable performances on my stage, as it turned out they were both using borrowed guns, and those were awesome open guns they borrowed but just different enough to wreak havoc on their game.

I think the answer is "it depends". Some folks are probably more receptive to different platforms than others, but it seems to be less of a challenge the better the shooter is. I shoot 2011/1911 platforms in Open, Limited and SS, an M&P in Production and Glocks (mostly) for work. I know that I can pick up any one of them and shoot pretty well without really thinking about it. With that said, if I've been shooting an Open gun and grab a Glock I can see and feel the difference immediately and it'll take me maybe 100 rounds to really feel like I've got the timing down properly. For anything other than fast stuff (as in fast splits), it's not really an issue. I shoot Open guns more than anything, and they seem to make everything else feel slow, which probably helps somewhat. R,

I think its hard to improve your skills when switching back and forth between guns. Its OK to dabble with a different type of gun once in a while for variety, but you'll improve quicker if you pick a single gun and just stick with it for a while. Definitely don't start playing with an Open gun if you're trying to improve your Limited or Production game; those Open guns are sure addicting. :cheers:

I started out shooting glocks, made a change to a STI Edge about 2 years ago. Love the STI, so last night I shoot a local match with the glock

in production, I sucked. By the end of the night I was better but by that time the match is over and I didnt shoot as good as I normaly do. I still have several

glock and still like them, but I think switching between different gun will only hurt your score in both divisions.

Like the other have said I think it mainly depends on how far you want to go in the sport in my opinion. I shoot lots of different guns becasue I have them and like change. I am an Open M, Limited M, Produciton A and an ICORE open revolver Master. When I shot open for the majority of last year without playing with other guns as much I was at 94.18% but have fallen back to 90% as I started shoot more iron sights.

I believe if you want to reach the top of one division you need to pick one gun and shoot the crap out of it.

I'm another old guy just in it for fun. When I tried to switch from my 1911 to a M&P the results were poor at best. For me the difference in trigger pull between the platforms was just too much to overcome. Perhaps switching between two different styles of "Safe Action" pistols, say a M&P and a Glock, may not be as drastic of a change. I still recommend staying with one gun.

• 4 weeks later...

I had the same question as the OP. Just started shooting USPSA and going to my first IDPA match on Monday. Was thinking about using my 1911 for the IDPA but after reading this thread might just stick to the XD9 tactical since that is what I shoot the most and in USPSA. I'm another old guy new to the competition format so it might not matter a lot; it's all for fun and trigger time. Good thread.

Stick with one gun, and shoot it till it melts. Switching guns is easier (but still causes problems) for the higher level shooters, but wreaks havoc on the lower level shooters. I switch way more than I should due to lack of money and time, and every time I switch platforms, I pay for it mentally and in my scores.

Well I quit switching guns I just shoot the same one all the time:

Check it out: http://www.sashooter.com/gallery/main.php?g2_itemId=782

In addition to the 38 Super and 9 major barrels and top ends + 22lr I also have a SV Limited top end with both 9 mm and 40. So its basically 7 guns in one. What am I shooting Sunday depends on the ammo inventory. :cheers:

I'd have to say based upon my observations as an RO at SpaceCity Challenge that the BigDawgs lose a lot when shooting even a similar borrowed gun. When I swap guns the hits are better for a week or two then then wheels fall off.

If you are serious about improving your skills, pick one gun and stick with it. When I was getting ready for Nationals last year, I shot nothing but my 1911 for L-10, and my SS classification went up almost 20%. I haven't had time to shoot any matches this year due to my job, so now I mess around with Glocks, Sigs, M&Ps, and my 1911s. When my schedule changes and I again have the opportunity to shoot monthly USPSA matches, I will again go back to shooting the 1911 exclusively. Switching platforms is no good for scores, but a whole lot of fun.

I used to be a "gun-switcher" and I didn't get any better until I stopped.

I have an Open gun and a Production gun and as a rule, I try to shoot one division for several months at a time.

Switching between my M&P 9 Pro and my STI hasn't gone all that well.

If I've predominantly shot the M&P, my STI reloads go great but my trigger prep and grip go to heck.

If I've been shooting the STI, my reloads with the M&P suck and my grip keeps asking where the thumb safety is until I've put a few hundred through in repetition. And even then, not always so good.

Like the rest of the folks have been saying, if you want to have fun only, switch back/forth as much as you like. If you want to improve, focus on only one at a time. We have a few high A's and M's and they tend to shoot the same gun all year unless they are getting ready for Single Stack Classic or Back-to-Back Nationals shooting different divisions.

Edited by 470nitro