Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Hate the trigger on my SP-01

Ken Mays

The hooked trigger on the SP-01 was designed by a sadist; the tip digs into my finger something awful.

I see folks are replacing them with the 85 Combat trigger; that might help somewhat.

I also see there is a straight SA trigger available. I'd like to use that one, but how does it work? I assume you can't use DA mode any longer once the straight trigger is installed, which would force me into Limited.

the SAO trigger set the reset point too close for a DA stroke, so it would make the gun only legal where single action guns can play. L10, Limited and Open.

you might try a 85 combat or 75 B trigger. they do not have as tight a radius and are a little thicker so do not bite as bad.

Thanks, guys. I was hoping to get a flatter trigger profile, but I can't see how I could straighten it out without moving the tip too far back, striking the frame before releasing the sear. And that probably wouldn't fly anyway.

you might try a 85 combat or 75 B trigger. they do not have as tight a radius and are a little thicker so do not bite as bad.

Note that there are three styles of DA/SA triggers out there at the moment.

The recurve is the black trigger on standard SP-01s and P-01s. Then there are two styles of 75/85 triggers - the "old"/"original"/"thick" and the "new"/"curvy"/"thin". The old style is thicker and flatter; more or less the way CZ triggers have been since the beginning (though there have been variations over time, they were fairly subtle). The new style is much more curved, and has a more rounded face. The feel is entirely different. Some place it between the recurve and the old-style.

I myself cannot stand the new-style. The recurve triggers are acceptable to me, but I really prefer the originals. What sucks is that the originals are pretty much extinct. CZ has been putting the new thinner triggers on pretty much everything, even Shadows and 85Cs now. CZ Custom no longer has the original style listed in-stock, which may mean that they are gone forever now.

I don't think the 85 combat trigger is discontinued. The triggers are still being placed on custom shop guns, including one that was received a week ago. Try calling CZ-USA themselves first, or check the CZ forums for parts threads. If anything, just explain your problem and they may have some traditional, non-overtravel triggers for you.

I don't think the 85 combat trigger is discontinued. The triggers are still being placed on custom shop guns, including one that was received a week ago.

The custom shop has had a supply of original-style 85C triggers. Previous talks with Angus and Rob were to the effect of "we have them now, but don't know about getting more". As they are now unavailable for order online, they may be out or close to running out (reserving what's left for actual installs instead of parts alone). You'd have to call them to check for sure.

Current-production 85Cs and Shadows come with the new thin style trigger instead. (Edit - but with the overtravel adjustment, of course.) I have yet to see any new 75Bs, 85Bs, 85Cs, or Shadows with the older thick triggers - all indications point to the new style completely replacing the original.

Edited by Walküre

I've only been shooting my Shadow for a few weeks, but my trigger finger is pretty raw. I'm hoping I can build up a callus and get used to it. It doesn't look like there's much of an option to replace it.

Well, in that case, looks like I'm boned. It seems as if it will have to be the flat SA trigger and the devil with the consequences. I don't much care whether I shoot in Production or Limited anyway.

limited minor?

I shoot a stainless 75B which had the new style thin curved trigger and I hated it!

My gundealer was nice enough to give me a old style trigger from a scrapped 75 and this trigger I do really like.

nst.jpg

ost.jpg

Edited by pevadijk

I shoot a stainless 75B which had the new style thin curved trigger and I hated it!

My gundealer was nice enough to give me a old style trigger from a scrapped 75 and this trigger I do really like.

nst.jpg

ost.jpg

I have an almost identical stainless as yours. I also have a Single Action 75. I have noticed that with the 75B, I occasionally get hammer bite that i do NOT get with the SA due to the change in beavertail. Do U have any problems with hammer bite??

thanks

I have an almost identical stainless as yours. I also have a Single Action 75. I have noticed that with the 75B, I occasionally get hammer bite that i do NOT get with the SA due to the change in beavertail. Do U have any problems with hammer bite??

thanks

No, I don't have any hammerbite issues and my gun has the competition hammer, which I think is a bit shorter.

Edited by pevadijk

Got off the phone with Zoe at CZ custom. The 85c combat trigger with overtravel screw is not discontinued, and there is approximately a two week wait time.

Which would be good news... but did you specifically mention "old" or "original"?

They are definitely making new-style 85C triggers... I have one here, in fact. (The one that came on my Shadow, which was replaced by the old-style 85C.) Simply asking for an overtravel-adjustable 85C trigger isn't enough these days; one would need to specify "old", "original", or "thick".

Also, @ cnote - the stainless models' triggers never seem to look exactly the same as anything else.

cztriggers.jpg

Note that your "old" stainless trigger is not the same as the usual "original" trigger (it's definitely thinner than the original), and that your "new" stainless trigger almost looks like an -01-style recurve.

It has to be OEM to be production legal.

From Appendix D4, 21.6

Any other components which are externally visible may ONLY be replaced with OEM parts which are offered on the specific model of gun or another approved gun from the same manufacturer except as specifically clarified below. Examples of external components which may only be replaced with OEM parts include (but are not limited to): magazine releases, slide stops, thumb safeties and triggers.

Edited by sperman

Note that your "old" stainless trigger is not the same as the usual "original" trigger (it's definitely thinner than the original), and that your "new" stainless trigger almost looks like an -01-style recurve.

I think that the original trigger in my stainless gun is more or less the same than a recurve trigger and the trigger that I use now has the same shape as the old style trigger, but is somewhat thinner. But I don't know which model the trigger came from or how old it is.

But if you look carefully at CZ's it seems that there are a lot triggers that all seem to be a bit different and some triggers take a lot of fitting in certain guns (my replacement trigger took some work, because it kept touching the frame so the trigger wouldn't reset fully (easily fixed with a Dremel though).

That's bad news for me..

I tried the new style trigger and it's absolute crap. One of the reason I ordered a SP01 is for the trigger pull, and specifically for the old style trigger. The new one is similar to the one that Tanfoglio has in his pistols, and it's horrible, totally horrible..

Time to cancel order ASAP...

I can't find nowhere the thick style trigger on cz ub..I think they discontinued it for good, as for cz us, I wish they would ship to Italy, I'll wait until the part show up on the website, thanks for the head up!

It's INCREDIBLE how the curved new trigger totally RUIN the trigger pull of the SP01, it's one of the worst features of the tanfoglio pistols, and now, we find it on the cz I can't imagine why cz did not retain the thick original trigger and get rid of the silly curved one...