Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Any opinions on the new IDPA 3-gun rules?

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My read of the IDPA 3 Gun rules is that we now have a set of rules drafted by persons who are not 3 gun shooters. My take on them is that they are designed to be friendly to those that set up the match and that is about it.

Of course I continue to be amazed that the members of IDPA choose to attend low round count IDPA pistol matches so who am I to say that low round count 3 gun matches will not gather a following. I do not think they are going to draw the traditional 3 gunners but if they do indeed bring new shooters into the sport, that is all good.

When I read that you had to reload a perfectly good 30 rd. AR mag after about 10 rds, I knew I would have better times at other matches.

Me too...I actually had a little bit of an acidy taste in my throat... :sick:

• 4 weeks later...

I suspect that the IDPA 3-gun matches will appeal more to people who are not currently shooting 3-gun. Both of equipment reasons,who wants to have a 9 shot gun and only be able to load 6?) and for experience reasons, (if you are used to shooting 45 rounds of rifle in a single stage then the limits are going to seem restrictive). However, for the thousands of previously pistol only competitors and for other thousands of hunters and rifle or shotgun competitors the IDPA rules may have considerable appeal. I suspect that the more traditional 3-gun venues will experience a surge of interest as some of the new IDPA shooters get the urge to gear up. I also suspect that the IDPA matches will struggle to find a foot hold as most who try it will move to more stimulating 3-gun matches or go back to their previous pursuits.

I wish to IDPA well with this venture.

I suspect that the IDPA 3-gun matches will appeal more to people who are not currently shooting 3-gun. Both of equipment reasons,who wants to have a 9 shot gun and only be able to load 6?) and for experience reasons, (if you are used to shooting 45 rounds of rifle in a single stage then the limits are going to seem restrictive). However, for the thousands of previously pistol only competitors and for other thousands of hunters and rifle or shotgun competitors the IDPA rules may have considerable appeal. I suspect that the more traditional 3-gun venues will experience a surge of interest as some of the new IDPA shooters get the urge to gear up. I also suspect that the IDPA matches will struggle to find a foot hold as most who try it will move to more stimulating 3-gun matches or go back to their previous pursuits.

I wish to IDPA well with this venture.

Like yourself I wish IDPA well as a rising tide raises all boats. But I think IDPA misses the boat.

IDPA local matches do very well but they only do so if all of their support is very local. Given the lower round count of their matches, they seem to have a hard time drawing shooters from more that an hour away and since three gun shooters are more about that than even the pistol only shooters, they may be repeating a previous mistake. If IDPA were to raise the round count of their matches I suspect their participation would increase since shooters from areas outside where the match is hosted would have more incentive to attend.

We just had 125 shooters at our monthly IDPA match. They are going to have an IDPA 3 gun match in October. First get them hooked on 3 gun and then they will come out to more round counts at the USPSA match. Just give them a little taste and they will want more.

About 25-33% of our USPSA shooters also shoot IDPA and most all of those shoot 3 gun.

There is no way I would drive to an IDPA 3 gun match due to the low count alone......

I agree. It is much the reason I quit shooting IDPA.... After several years of it, you

have seen about every stage that could be done with only 18 rounds. Got pretty boring.

I come to shoot and shooting a 60-90 round match isn't much of a match to me.

But if it gets people interested in 3 gun, most will make the transition to the real

3G/MG matches. That will be good for everyone.

Craig

I don't think IDPA would buy a Saiga being a typical home defense gun. :roflol:

Which is just the type of thinking that derailed them from the start. Your area might be different but I can assure you that more Saigas went out the door at my local gun shows over the past 3 years than 870s. But unless the owners of IDPA have do dads to sell you to fit a specific gun, their attitude seems to be to just not let it play teaching us all the great lesson that YOU WILL NEVER FACE MORE THAN FIVE BAD GUYS AT ONR TIME......or not.

Edited by Charles Bond

I don't think IDPA would buy a Saiga being a typical home defense gun. :roflol:

Which is just the type of thinking that derailed them from the start. Your area might be different but I can assure you that more Saigas went out the door at my local gun shows over the past 3 years than 870s. But unless the owners of IDPA have do dads to sell you to fit a specific gun, their attitude seems to be to just not let it play teaching us all the great lesson that YOU WILL NEVER FACE MORE THAN FIVE BAD GUYS AT ONR TIME......or not.

While I still agree that the IDPA defensive multi-gun COMPETITION rules don't make much sense, one must still realize that it is a COMPETITION. The amount/number of "faced" assailants real or imagined doesn't matter in the rules context of at this or any COMPETITION. You can't have your cake and eat it too. On one hand you have those who decry the implication that IDPA is supposed tactical training, then want to argue that their own decisions are somehow even more tacicool than IDPAs. It don't fricken matter.

Its a GAME, remember? These are the rules that the organization came up with to run (or ruin) their MATCHES.

To imply that Saigas aren't allowed because a certain company doesn't sell accessories for them is a pretty big stretch, not to mention that more saigas are being sold than 870s. I won't say it isn't true, but I will say that I doubt it.

I am sure more 870s are sold nationally than Saigas but my comment was just addressing recent local gun shows.

As to what is legal in IDPA based on who makes it, look at the history of the organization along with what is and is not approved and I think you will come to a like conclusion.

I am sure more 870s are sold nationally than Saigas but my comment was just addressing recent local gun shows.

As to what is legal in IDPA based on who makes it, look at the history of the organization along with what is and is not approved and I think you will come to a like conclusion.

Still, just considering local shows its a pretty broad conclusion based on a pretty narrow sampling.

I'm fairly familiar with IDPA equipment rules and don't see it the way you do. Perhaps you could provide some specific examples, off forum if you prefer.

Or not, it doesn't really matter, their game, their rules.

• 3 months later...

Very interesting thread I know our club is going to host some IDPA shoots this coming summer and hopefully even an IDPA 3 gun with the intention of getting some new shooters to come out I know our ruger 22 challenge sure brought out allot of new shooters some have already starting to gear up to shoot USPSA with us next season so hopefully will get a new batch of shooters come out and shoot IDPA with us and learn the appropriate range etiquette and safety rules and then maybe some of them will come and shoot one of our 350-400 rd USPSA 3 gun matches. We can always hope B)