Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Loading Magazines Under the clock

Ty Hamby

Just wondering if it is possible to design a stage where:

While cleaning your gun in your garage BG approachs: You have ammo in front of you with gun and magazine in front of you. Beep... Load nessessary rounds to complete the stage and get to bang-in. Legal?

Edited by HK45 Lefty

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I shot a stage like this that had a risk and reward theme. You started with gun on table and all ammo and empty magazine in IDPA box. You had 4 targets that had to be neutralized, one scored hit. Two targets were tight with a non threat where a head shot was the best option. At the beep you loaded what you thought was necessary. Fail to load enough and risk penalties or time to remove magazine and load some more. Load more ammo at the start and your time would be slower. Risk and reward.

We had a stage at Flagler IDPA last month that was just this. Start with gun loaded with six rounds only and no spare ammo or mags on body - engage three targets through a window (2 rds each) move four yards to a barrel where loose rounds were pre-positioned. With those loose rounds, reload the gun as it existed when you arrived at the barrel. Bottom feeders had to reload the magazine, moon clip shooters had to refill the moon clip, SSR shooters just loaded the cylinder. After that, engage three more targets with two rounds each. After engaging the last three targets, the first three could be re-engaged by moving two feet to the left of the last firing position. Vickers Count so FTNs counted. I showed up that day with SSR... it is the only "revolver friendly" stage I have ever seen. I reloaded the old fashioned way... two rounds at a time. The bottom feeders (even the young/fast ones) didn't stand a chance. I immediately named the stage "Revo's Revenge".

Chris Christian

How would a moon clip gun rule? Do they get to have pre-loaded moon clips?

Now that depends, are you the MD?

I did a revolver biased match once a few years ago that had the shooter start a stage with his ammo in a small mason jar with lid on. It was posted before the match with the intent on getting people to shoot revolvers if they knew they couldn’t win with an auto.

utf-8BSU1HMDAyMjMuanBn.jpg

I thought it was more fair than my idea of "your cleaning your gun when..." stage

GetAttachment.jpg

We thought about running a stage like this at our local club, but decided against it. We figured that at that point it was no longer a "shooting" contest, but a "who can load their mags the fastest" contest.

You can say that about a lot of aspects in shooting IDPA. Is IDPA a "drawing, moving, reloading/tac loading contest"? If you look at many stages there is more time spent doing those actions than actual shooting.

One of the things I like about IDPA is that it does stress "gun handling" skills that are not normally stressed... and never applied in a square range format. I think that's one thing many other shooters also like about it. A creative MD can make things very interesting.

Chris Christian

I did a revolver biased match once a few years ago that had the shooter start a stage with his ammo in a small mason jar with lid on. It was posted before the match with the intent on getting people to shoot revolvers if they knew they couldn’t win with an auto.

Aha, so it was an apples and oranges contest on purpose. I get it now.

I did a revolver biased match once a few years ago that had the shooter start a stage with his ammo in a small mason jar with lid on. It was posted before the match with the intent on getting people to shoot revolvers if they knew they couldnt win with an auto.

utf-8BSU1HMDAyMjMuanBn.jpg

I thought it was more fair than my idea of "your cleaning your gun when..." stage

GetAttachment.jpg

Now that is revos revenge.

Ok thanks for all the input. I just didnt want to show up on game day with a RO telling me that we cant do that under the clock. I know its not in the rule book but thats a whole other story. I will figure yardage on match day after I look at the space available to me. Here is my plan.

EDRG062610_Stage2.pdf

Edited by HK45 Lefty

Ty, i looked at your stage,looks good other then the part of shooting targets in tactical sequence from cover..do you guys always do that ?? shouldn't that read "tactical priority"??

Edited by GmanCdp

Loading a mag quickly and effectively is a useful gun handling skill. I have no problem with it on occasion.

Loading a mag is an ammo handling skill not a shooting or gun handling skill. When would you be in a self defense situation and be walking around or storing a gun with empty mags and loose ammo, since that is what people tell me IDPA stages are built on? Drawing, moving, reloading, etc... are all aspects of actually shooting.

I doubt if I will ever design a stage that requires a shooter to load a mag, just doesn't seem to make sense.

IDPA COF Background: You're at a friend's house unarmed, someone starts kicking the door in, your friend says he has a gun in the bedroom. You find it in a drawer, unloaded, with a box of ammo next to it.

Whew, that was tough!!!

Ty, i looked at your stage,looks good other then the part of shooting targets in tactical sequence from cover..do you guys always do that ?? shouldn't that read "tactical priority"??

You are correct. It should read TP. I will change it by the match tomorrow. Thanks. I will also report back at all the boo's and hisses I get tomorrow. The club tomorrow. Isnt and IDPA Club. No gun divisions. Everyone shoots for overall. Kinda a "fun Gun". If the stage works out I will tweak it and use it in an official match.

IDPA COF Background: You're at a friend's house unarmed, someone starts kicking the door in, your friend says he has a gun in the bedroom. You find it in a drawer, unloaded, with a box of ammo next to it.

Whew, that was tough!!!

I don't think I said that you couldn't make up a story to explain away any type of goofy crap you want a shooter to do.

"you are in a gun fight and the attacker shot your weak hand and the first 3 fingers off your strong hand. Engage T1-T9 using your stronghand only but you may only use your thumb and pinky". ;)

You are correct. It should read TP. I will change it by the match tomorrow. Thanks. I will also report back at all the boo's and hisses I get tomorrow. The club tomorrow. Isnt and IDPA Club. No gun divisions. Everyone shoots for overall. Kinda a "fun Gun". If the stage works out I will tweak it and use it in an official match.

Hey Ty,

I'll have to practice some speed mag loading when I get home! rolleyes.gif

I haven't been out to El Dorado for a while. I'm glad I'll be there to try your stage.

See you tomorrow.

It's interesting to see how competitors like Rob & Koski are are thinking about how to handle the "load the magazine" scenario (and maybe even expand on it) while others are finding fault with it because they don't seem to think it makes sense to them. I'll leave it there.

Chris Christian

It's interesting to see how competitors like Rob & Koski are are thinking about how to handle the "load the magazine" scenario (and maybe even expand on it) while others are finding fault with it because they don't seem to think it makes sense to them. I'll leave it there.

Chris Christian

Why leave it there, if you feel the need to say something have at it.

Just because you can do something doesn't mean it is a good idea.

I think it would be a poor course design and would most likely be one of those bottleneck stages that do not add to the match, but detract for the overall enjoyment for a large number of shooters. Many people need mechanical assistance in loading their magazines as is.

When you have a large number of shooters of moderate skill level why would it be in your interest to further widen the gap from the first shooter to the last? I don't think people think some of these things out very well.

I've seen many a good match made by a stage design that someone thought was "original" or "cool." If you focus on good stages that shooters can get though efficiently that test shooting skills, your match will be a much more enjoyable experience.

Yes, it is easy to make a gimmick stage, but is what you are asking the competitor to do adding to the value of the match to your customer or indulging your own desire for a gotcha stage?