Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

cant find new 9MM Luger (brass and primer)

Real-Tech

My FFL distributor can't find a wholesaler who has (good quality) 9MM Luger brass and primers. If they do have it they want retail prices. I'm new to the reloading scene and have all my supplies lined up for purchase including a new progressive press, dies, bullets, powder, but it doesn't make sense for me to buy all this stuff if I cant get brass and primers. where can I get new, I need enough for 10,000 rounds. Don't recommend web sites that are OUT OF STOCK please.

For new brass, you can go directly to the mfgr with only a short wait usually. For used brass, it's everywhere. For primers, you just have to get in line and wait. You'll probably have the best luck trying to find Wolf or the high-priced Federal Match primers.

My FFL distributor can't find a wholesaler who has (good quality) 9MM Luger brass and primers. If they do have it they want retail prices. I'm new to the reloading scene and have all my supplies lined up for purchase including a new progressive press, dies, bullets, powder, but it doesn't make sense for me to buy all this stuff if I cant get brass and primers. where can I get new, I need enough for 10,000 rounds. Don't recommend web sites that are OUT OF STOCK please.

10,000? Why not settle for half now, half later. Besides, you are wasting your money on new brass. And, with 10,000 pieces, loading 9mm minor, you could probably get 10-20 loadings per case, so 10,000 pieces is tantamount to having 100,000 cases on hand as a worst case or 200,000 best case.

Try Brassman.com, or Starline. Starline is showing that they may have some in stock, and the next shipment will be in on 7/21. Graf is showing used 9mm brass for $33.99 per thousand. I suggest you look around yourself and not let your distributor do the work. I mean really, what's in it for him? Besides, cutting him out will probably save you a few bucks. Primers are hit and miss, but your best bet will be with Powder Valley or Graf & Sons, Natchez, or even Cabelas or Midway. There is a primer shortage, which you have probably heard about. Some guys have waited over a year to get the primers they ordered.

PS, if you order primers from Powder Valley, even if they are listed out of stock, if they have them they will ship quickly. I ordered 5,000 WIN SPMP from them even though they said they were out of stock, and it would be 6-8 weeks, and had them in a week. And, SPMP will work for 9mm....Just drop the charge a bit...

Edited by GrumpyOne

What primers does M&P's work well with and which ones not so good?

Way to hijack a thread there JKatz! :rolleyes:

Ther are plenty of other threads about M&P's around here, and, I'm pretty sure just about every primer will work, barring some of the super hard ones like CCI and SRP's.

Your FFL distributor is a waste of time , primers are there to be had. Why new brass ?

Here's a little help with primers if you have a cell phone, set up a e/m just for primers,go to Midways site put in for product notification to that e/m. Works great I was able to keep 10 of us supplied with primers that way last year

Your FFL distributor is a waste of time , primers are there to be had. Why new brass ?

Here's a little help with primers if you have a cell phone, set up a e/m just for primers,go to Midways site put in for product notification to that e/m. Works great I was able to keep 10 of us supplied with primers that way last year

I would try once fired brass if that's what it really was, I'm afraid I wont be able to see a split case as it goes through my press.

PRIMERS? They are where you find them. Ok little help for the Newb, Natchez shooting supply has both Win SPP and CCI SPP both are good, with their 5K limit get 5K of each they are about $33K. I think they have some SRP they will work as well. I have 100k on order now for 5 months, I expect them to show up when I don't need them. I can't say nothing bad about that order since its with my sponsor. He got 5K from me a couple weeks ago.

Brass is where you find it. If you are shooting minor get 1,000 once fired, at the match pick up eveything you can and in a few months you will have 10K. If you can't getem at a USPSA match go to and IDPA match most of them don't load. If you are shooting major 9, mark them so you don't pick them up and grab the newbs once fired. I have a case pro and still only reload major 9 once, I have not had any issues with the brass and I don't intend to. 38 Super, 40, 45, and 9 minor I load it till it splits, definately more than 10 times. When I say eveything I mean everything you can trade 45's at 3 to 1 for 9 mm, and 40's for 2 to 1, and 38 Super just name your price.

I walked into Cabellas the other day and they had CCI's so I got 20k just for insurance.

We are all in the same sad shape, hunting for components buying months in advance at ridiculious prices but I can still load 100 9 mm 125's for $6.00 cause brass is free for the taking, if it wasn't I'd just shoot Walley World ammo.

Absolute best source of brass become an RO and do major matches. I always come home with a 5 gallon bucket full.

Edited by CocoBolo

I would try once fired brass if that's what it really was, I'm afraid I wont be able to see a split case as it goes through my press.

As usual, I'm confused! Are you saying any brass used more than once will have splits? That brass from other guns could have splits but yours never will? You think the "once fired brass" may include some worn out cases and you don't want to inspect a large quantity at once?

IMHO, pristine brass just isn't necessary for safety. For top accuracy and reliability in a big match, knock yourself out sorting and inspecting and counting number of uses but otherwise use what you can find. On a side note, I don't believe in cutting corners for practice ammo. The only difference for me is using new or once fired cases for a match.

RT,

Dude you will be able to FEEL split caes after about ten minutes on your press. They are way easier to bell at the powder station on my sdb, or any die that would perform that function. You will become accustomed to the feel, sounds and sights of your press. I've yet in 2 1/2 years back reloading, missed a split case. You may, but I'd bet probably not. If you go slow, at first, and even put some split cases through your press, to see what it feels like, whatever.

I wouldn't get the new brass if I could avoid it. Brassman has great once-fired, Starlilne for you, if you must, but once fired is pretty much good to go AFAIK.

Don't sweat the brass so much. Just get on the net and fish for primers in quantities of about 5K at a time. You can get them for 125.00 if you look really hard. Just got to be a primer junkie is all. Keep that eye on your expense account for shooting, and the primer deliveries local or the internet. Or for whenever you have some money, even if you don't need primers. Just keep ordering, and ordering, and eventually before you know it y ou will have a sizeable stash, wheere you will only have to order when you find the killer deals. Then you buy that in serious bulk, 10K or more.

Also, bullets, man get those orders out pronto, and depending on what your going to be shooting, get thenm in quantitiy too. Then watch for deals on these, or times when you can get decent jacketed bullets on sale (rare now a says, but maybe not so in the far flung future)Or those times when you run into someone selling bullets at a match. When I go to out of town matches, I bring at least 100 to 200 bucks to buy bullets or primers or both. Once you get a stash going, and are at matches, keep your ear to the ground for bullet buys, or someone selling wholesale. You can find deals like this and they are ususally in my experience, pretty good deals.

Lastly, Powder I'm finding that it is better to bite the bullet once you find your pet load, and get this in 8lb jugs or more. This cuts down on overall hazmat fees realistically.

That's all I have to say about that.

JZ

Hello: I use only range pick-up brass. I have shot some of the 9mm brass 3 times now in my Open pistol. I sort my brass by miltary(crimped primer), Winchester and various others. If I can still read the stamping on the back of the brass I still use it. Some of them are getting very hard to read and they will be stepped down to minor loads :roflol: Our local Sportsman Wearhouse has primers in stock except small rifle. I have been using Winchester small magnum primers in my open 9mm and they work fine. The Federals in the open 9mm get hammered pretty flat :devil: Hope this helps and start collecting brass now. Thanks, Eric

I run all of my Brass thru a CasePro 100, during that process the brass may be discarded if it doesn't look good. After loading each piece is dropped checked if it is split you will find that out in the drop check. Then it moves to the Dykem stage where it is marked with Red or Blue. Next it is set into Dillion cases where the final inspection is made, which includes checking the primer end. Failure that do not go to the salvage bucket go in the practice bucket. When I practice I use those that failed one or more checks but are probably ok, I have had one jam from those rounds out of maybe 500. If its in a case its match quality.

The problem with 9 major is the primer pockets, you know you got a problem when you look in the corn in the meadia separator and see a lot of primers in there. I could run them thru the Case Pro and tighten the pockets but I decided that I would only reload 9 major once, that way I avoid any potential problems, 9 mm are just to easy to find and get. On all others I reload them till they are worn out, or lost.

I have been using the same 38 Super brass for 2 years some have split and been discarded. I also have collected several thousand new brass with certificates won and may use some for the Nationals, but local matches just get the old stuff.

Federal SPP are too soft for open guns, great for revolvers, limited and production where the pressure is lower. Win, MagTec, CCI, work good as do small rifle.

Are small pistol magnum primers about the same as small pistol primers?

Yes they are physically the same but they will give you about 10 FPS boost. They were $6.00 a thousand cheaper at Cabellas than the regular SPP CCI.

Are small pistol magnum primers about the same as small pistol primers?

Yes, except they will give you a 10-15 FPS boost, like Coco says. I have been using them exclusively the last couple of years as regular SPP are so hard to find, but the SPMP are a bit easier (and cheaper!) right now. They will also e a bit harder in the cup sometimes, which helps with primer flow if you are shooting a hot round.