Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Small Hands, Which Mag Release For 1911?

mgmcaleer

I shoot a Kimber 45 and have smaller hands. To perform a reload I have to release my grip, turn the gun slightly, push the release then regrip.

I looks like I need more length to the button but would also like an oversize button. What mag release button should I try?

Mike

Just about everyone I shoot with needs to do the "flip" to release the mag. Going to a Dawson extended release will help but may also cause mags to be released when not intended. Be sure to order one with the heavier spring.

I shoot a Kimber 45 and have smaller hands. To perform a reload I have to release my grip, turn the gun slightly, push the release then regrip.

And this is a problem, why? I have to do the same thing, and, not to sound totally modesty challenged, but I do okay in matches. :D

And this is a problem, why?

Because when I shot an STI with an extended mag release at the last match I did not have this problem. Mag changes were flawless without changing my grip. So why should I have to learn to live with it in my Limited 10 gun if a $20 part will solve my problem?

And this is a problem, why?

Because when I shot an STI with an extended mag release at the last match I did not have this problem. Mag changes were flawless without changing my grip. So why should I have to learn to live with it in my Limited 10 gun if a $20 part will solve my problem?

Or, you can "sweep" the left hand thumb across the button and release the mag as your hand is en route getting the new mag. probably not optimum for speed, but it definiteley gives a sure release. I have a deformity of the right hand that makes it difficult to "shift the grip" and I found sometimes I would rotate the gun and as I press the button, couldn't get it in far enough to drop the mag. Using the left thumb means no problems there.

As for oversized buttons, Brownells has an assortment. I just bought the Ed Brown setup for my Para from Natchez Shooter Supply and I am very happy with it.

Coolest thing I've seen in weeks: Dawson Mo-Lo-Pro button. This thing is absolutely huge. Take a nickel and center it on your mag button. It's that big. (it's not that thick-- think dime or less), and it's checkered.

Now, you're saying "that's nice and all, but I would like to put my other fingers on the gun somewhere besides the mag button..". That's the cool part. You crank it on, mark where it sits, mark the parts you want, then remove it and grind off everything else. Add a drop of locktite, crank it back on and you're good to go. 100% custom-to-you mag button.

Or, you might *not* need a mag release that's as big Monica Lewinsky's ass - as would seem to be the current fashion. I used to have a little, low-tech, round aluminum button on mine that got the job done just fine.

Some folks, (depending on anatomy, both personal and of the gun, as Duane Thomas pointed out to me) can get the middle finger of their shooting hand onto the mag button without having to shift their grip. The slightly enlarged, checkered Ed Brown button works for me on my Para, slicker 'n snot (thanks, Duane... :D ).

How about the S&A Ambi Mag catch? Righties can either use their trigger finger to drop the mag without breaking their grip ... assuming that your finger will bend that way. This will not work for me personally I think because my fingers are too long.

Some folks, (depending on anatomy, both personal and of the gun, as Duane Thomas pointed out to me) can get the middle finger of their shooting hand onto the mag button without having to shift their grip. The slightly enlarged, checkered Ed Brown button works for me on my Para, slicker 'n snot (thanks, Duane...  ).

Hey, what can I say....it's a gift.

Yer welcome.

Instead of a regular button take a look at some of the paddles. EGW offers one and so does Arredondo. My wife has small hands and uses the Arredondo on her SV. She has never dropped a mag when picking the gun up off a table. If you practice the method that Matt Burkett teaches you shouldn't have a problem dropping mags anyway. If you do decide to use a button though the Brazos one is really cool and has a lo profile.

Just remember - those of you not just shooting IPSC (gasp, there are a few of us), that larger adulterated mag releases and ambis are generally not allowed in IDPA.

Before you point out (correctly) that this particular forum is meant for IPSC/USPSA gun questions, it is a "Stock-Type or Limited Gun..." forum. These guns work nicely in IDPA.