Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Level 1 RO class

John Z Sr

Just finished the class this weekend for USPSA Level 1 RO, taught by Mr. George Jones. First, a big thanks to George for , in my opinion, an OUTSTANDING class and thanks to Pitt County Wildlife Club and members, for hosting the class. Having shot my share of USPSA matches over the years, I now know what I didn't know ( well after the final exam maybe I can make that statement). For those of you who have considered taking the class, my advice would be yes. It will take up a whole weekend and was not easy, but I feel it is worth it if you enjoy the sport. I must add that it also gave me a chance to do something that I never thought could or would be done ( not that I can see any reason to do it other than why not try) perform an undetected "ghost reload" with about 30 people watching ( yes George caught what I was doing I'm sure).

Yeah Yeah, . . . That "ghost" reload didn't get you, wouldn't have gotten you any extra points ( or HF) , . . . but GJ did not miss a beat!

Great Instructor! and a great time.

Thanks to all who came out and bettered their skills!!

PCWC thanks all who attended, we had a good time , and we all learned!

Take a USPSA RO class, read that rule book, and be part of USPSA!

Don't forget to take care of your instructor . . . .

Becoming an RO is a good way to give something back to the sport and do something good for yourself as well. Think for a moment what you get out of the sport....I, personally owe alot to even it up. There was never any doubt in my mind about becoming an RO after I started shooting USPSA. Sure, there was a bit of an anxiety factor involved on the path to taking the course but I found the instructors to be very helpful and accomodating. The real learning though starts when you begin functioning as an RO. My son has been and RO almost three years now, worked as an RO at four Level III matches, one Level II, and a bunch of local matches, he is 14. It wouldn't be fair to say everyone should be an RO but if you are considering taking the course..go for it. There are no contracts of obligation so if it's not for you, oh well, at the very least you learned something and that is never a bad thing. Just find some other way to contribute. TP

Yeah Yeah, . . . That "ghost" reload didn't get you, wouldn't have gotten you any extra points ( or HF) , . . . but GJ did not miss a beat!

I know, if anything it wasted time and cost points, but it was a great chance to try it, it was fun and I think the range excercise gave all of us a chance to observe and catch some not normally seen screw ups.

Great Instructor! and a great time.

Thanks to all who came out and bettered their skills!!

PCWC thanks all who attended, we had a good time , and we all learned!

Take a USPSA RO class, read that rule book, and be part of USPSA!

Don't forget to take care of your instructor . . . .

Yes - a big thank you to everyone who made possible the RO at class at Pitt Co. USPSA is a fabulous association, and I'm glad they have men like George Jones who are such tremendously effective spokemen for the sport.

I'd encourage anyone who shoots USPSA to take the RO Level 1 Seminar. It can do nothing but help you to know more about the rules, protocol, range commands, penalties, scoring, SAFETY, etc. These things might not perhaps make you a better shooter, but - if nothing else - a smarter competitor. And it is never a bad thing to exercise your brain and just learn something new!

So - to you guys that JZ and I know and shoot with fairly often at the local matches that were also in class this past weekend... Hope we'll all soon get to start practicing through application what we learned in class!

See you at the range biggrin.gif

Edited by Melinda

Yes - a big thank you to everyone who made possible the RO at class at Pitt Co. USPSA is a fabulous association, and I'm glad they have men like George Jones who are such tremendously effective spokemen for the sport.

I'll second ( or third ) that comment. It was a long drive from Greenville,SC but it was well worth it. I look forward to putting the knowledge and skills to use at my local match. Sent in my final exam last night, so I'm eager to see how I did.

I'll second ( or third ) that comment. It was a long drive from Greenville,SC but it was well worth it. I look forward to putting the knowledge and skills to use at my local match. Sent in my final exam last night, so I'm eager to see how I did.

I haven't finished my exam yet. But by the time I'm finished I should know that book like the back of my hand (which I dare say is the point, yes?)... I plan to get my paperwork in early next week after the Carolina Cup is over. Don't forget to add the changes and updates from the workbook into your Rule Book smile.gif

And I appreciate all those that attended the Level 1 class. George Jones was my instructor at Sir Walters Level 1 class and I was very impressed..he also has that rare quality of being able to actually teach and pass on what he knows. I'll be looking for all you new RO's to be helping with the NC Section Match..

Don't forget to add the changes and updates from the workbook into your Rule Book

I started with a little Arts and Crafts before I worked on the test Monday night. I taped the new rules into the front of the book. Plus, my own recommendation, put a Star or something else next to the "old" version of the rule in the book so you know to reference the revision you have put in the front. Otherwise when you're looking at a rule, you won't remember there is a revision. This helped during the test because a few questions, I believe, were phrased taking the revision into consideration. Good luck, and after you are done, go back and double check your work. I found I quoted a few rules incorrectly. I got distracted a few times while taking it and referenced the rule above or below by mistake ( ie: 10.2.4 instead of 10.2.5 ) I knew the answer, but wrote the wrong rule when I typed it in. Saved myself at least 5 or 6 incorrect answers.

I'm scheduled to take my RO class this weekend in Idaho Falls. Looking forward to it! Thanks TimE for setting that up.

As far as the changes and updates, are you guys referring to the updates that are posted on the USPSA match rules page? I think there are three or four of them.

I'm scheduled to take my RO class this weekend in Idaho Falls. Looking forward to it! Thanks TimE for setting that up.

As far as the changes and updates, are you guys referring to the updates that are posted on the USPSA match rules page? I think there are three or four of them.

Yes, the rules changes that were effective 3/1/2010. And yes, they are on the website. But until I took the class, that is exactly where they stayed...on the website. First thing they do in the class is hand you a copy of the revised rules and suggest you tape/glue stick them in to the front of your rulebook.

No payment . . .

We're just naturally friendly in "Down East NC.

Come visit us at Pitt County Wildlife Club on the 4th Saturday for USPSA!

We'll take you out for a cold one afterward. :cheers:

[if a Yankee can make it work down south, ya'll should have no problem.

As an ex Yankee I couldn't agree more! Born and raised in NY/NJ area. After two years in SC, I can say I have no desire to move back.

Just have to remember a few things:

It gets hot down here ( played golf with a buddy here today in 90 degree heat, all I heard from him was, "Man it's hot." my reply, "yeah, i guess so" )

People say Please, Thank You, Sir, Maam....it's a nice way to live

And the plural of Y'all is All Y'all

Other than that, enjoy!

Sorry for the drift.

For the question what else to do for the class. Listen, and drop the preconceived notions. Learn the rules as taught. Whether it's George, Troy, or whomever, I'd rather go by what someone who travels the country teaching the info instead of "my buddy told me this is the correct way".

What does Troy and George pay you guys to brag on them? :ph34r:

All I ever get it "Well, bye" :devil:

Gary, You didn't hear me say, "don't let the door hit you in the a$$ on the way out"? :goof:

Seriously, Gary is good people! And a blast to shoot a match with! :cheers: