Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Eliminate Revolver Division?

Bear1142

Guys,

Not looking to start a war, just an idea. What do you think about eliminating revolver as a division, but roll it into Production division as a Class? To level the playing field, you would do two things. First, make the 8 round revolvers legal for Production. Second, allow the revolvers to make major PF. Now you'd have a situation where an 8 round revolver, scoring major, would be competing against a 10 round minor production pistol. Scoring Major would help offset the faster reload speed of the pistol and the 8 round neutral stages would certainly help the revolver shooters. There would still be a high revolver shooter, but the classes would go straight up revolver or semi. I think Jerry Miculek, shooting an 8 round, major revolver would have a serious chance at Production National Champion. This would cut down the divisions from 5 to 4 and create some pretty interesting matchups and be entertaining to watch.

Erik

Eric,

When the new USPSA rules become effective, shooters will be able to use 8 round revolvers in Production and be able to score major with them. However, Revolver Division will not be eliminated.

Arnie

Let's just scrap Production and make it a "class" in Limited 10.

I don't have a problem with letting guys shoot an 8 round wheel gun in Production but scraping revolver division altogether? I can't swallow that.

I shoot a Production gun and I have been known to tinker around with a wheelgun. I am fairly confident in saying that in general scroring major with a wheel gun won't offset the advantage of 10 round magazines used in a Production gun.

I may be seriously wrong, but didn't the equipment in our sport evolve from wheelguns and .45 single stacks? In our efforts to streamline classes/divisions, could it be feasable if once losing the revolver division, that the requirement of being 8 round friendly is done away with because of the proliferation of 10 rounders? I shoot a 610 S&W. How would a 6-shooter complete in the "new division?"

just my $.02 worth

dj

What Yardbird said.

Besides, with the USPSA change to 9-round neutral stages, 8-round wheelies will not be able to compete, let alone 6 shooters.

Plus I'd hate to trade my 3 625's( :wub: ) for one 627 8-shooter <_<

Sterling:

L-8 is an interesting though, but it wouldn't fly with wheelgunners because most wheelguns are 6 round revolvers. As a Production shooter, I don't want to download my magazines to accomodate a revolver shooter.

If we want folks to play the game with their wheelguns, we need to leave revolver division intact. The proposal to allow an 8 round wheelgun in Production was intended to increase opportunities for revolver shooters by allowing 8 round guns to load to full capacity and play outside of six round revolver division.

For those of you who want to dump revolver division, I can't help but to wonder what your stake is in all of this? How many of you guys are serious revolver shooters? If you want to know how revolver shooters feel, just ask guys like Pat, Rudy, and Richard and then listen.

I shot a revolver for many years and I do pretty good with them. But I have given up on revolvers in USPSA because of course design and shooter's attitudes towards revolvers.

Oops! :o I was thinking two thoughts and my typing came out all wrong. What I was trying to say was that you can use your 8 shot revolver in Production, but, of course, it would be scored minor. You will be able to use a .38/.357 revolver in Revolver Division and still be able to make major. My error!

Arnie

Eliminate revolver division and add them to production just to accomidate a few people with 8 rounders? that's just stupid and will never happen. If people want to shoot production with an 8 shot, that's great, they can do it but, most (if not all) of us who shoot 6 shooters DO NOT want to shoot production. That is why we have revolver division. I'm really tired of people who want to get rid of revolver class, it has been argued over and over and over again with the SAME comments every time, lets just put it to bed.

I'm sorry but I do not understand the big deal about revo div. I have been shooting USPSA in Massachusetts for about six years now. Started in Open then went to limited and have done pretty well in both. I have been shooting Revo for the last year and a half and never enjoyed the sport more. It is more of a challange to shoot a stage with six round gun than to just hose it with a 27 round mag. Please leave us revolver guys alone, if we feel like shooting production, limited 10 or open, with a revo we will and have fun doing it. Just my thoughts.

Shoot it,and they will come John

*Cough*, I won't mention the fact that I support the idea of allowing the eight shooters to shoot to capacity in Revolver standard, well OK, I will, but it's interesting to note that the hardcore wheel gunners here in OZ tend to shoot Open with an 8 shooter and still score well ( 60% or so). When a white haired dwarf with a gun that was outdated a century ago beats a bunch of open shooters with 28 round mags, it's fun to watch. Unless you just got beaten by him. The fact that he has an electronic soup can on top of it dosn't detract from the level of ability being shown.

Ken

Well it is time for me to chime in on this topic. I am surprised that everyone is so concerned about such a small number of shooters. Just leave us alone. We all shoot what we shoot because that is what we love to shoot. I believe Ron Ankeny said it best. Those that shoot revolver are either fanatics about it or they just try it once or twice.(I fall into the fanatic category). Revolver will always be the bottom of the barrel in divisions. Although the numbers are growing slowly.

It will be interesting to see the numbers at this years nationals. I think the new rules are a good thing. Hopefully more of the .357 will start shooting now. I have just purchased a 38 super 8-shot to start putzing in production division. Will they come out in droves to compete, no. But it is a start. I wish more guys would try it to see what it is all about. IPSC revolver is a totally diferent game. You only got six to play with, don't miss. We have some really talented revolver shooters in the US, the competition is intense. Go to an Area match once and try it. There is no room for any error.

Do not try to combine us with limited or production, we are fine right where we are. Do we need Open revolver? That would be interesting. Possibly would get some of the ICORE shooters to join, but who knows. These are my thoughts, I recomend everyone try it once to see what it is about. You get out of this sport what you put into it. Lets just all get to the range and shoot what you bring and have fun.

Tom Mainus L-2448

Arnie....your on the inside track of knowledge and probably have a good idea whats going to happen down the road with divisions.  Can you give any insights?

Sorry for the late reply gmw2b. I don't anticipate any Division changes forthcoming.

Arnie