Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Barrel Length for Ar-15 Rifle for 3 Gun

surfmaster

I'm considering building an AR-15 for three gun shooting here in the Aloha State. We usually shoot no farther than 30 yards (yes, 30, not 300). With this is mind, should I get a 16" or an 18" barrel for my build? Is there much velocity difference between the two barrels? I'll be using mostly 55 grain bullets.

Also, if it's an 18" barrel, should I get a rifle length gas system or the mid length gas system? I know if it's 16", then the barrel should have a mid length gas system.

Thanks for your replies.

Seems to me that you are talking about COF's that are going to "house clearing" exercises. Go with the lightest set up you can get. Then control the recoil as best you can with what is out there. Mid-length for 16", Rifle length for 18"

Now you get to go shopping. woo hoo!!!

FYI.....at those ranges, who cares about velocity....maybe up to 200 fps, more likely 100 fps difference. It can make a differance out at 300yds or more, but not 30yds.

Edited by TRUBL

wow, 30 yrds is all the further your goingto shoot??? then i wouldgo forthe shortest/lightest upper you can get, at 30 yrds your not gonna have too much in the way of velocity loss, like was said before, at 300 yrds, yes, at 30??? nope....also mite wanna try a comp that is made over there onthe islands from go-gun(a vendor here on the forums) pretty cool comp

for 30 yd shots you dont need anything more than a 16 with a midlength gas system. You actually dont need anything more than about a 10 or 11 barrell'd shorty, haha, but of the options you listed dont waste your time/$ on an 18". its just 2 extra inches and some extra weight you need to lug around.

Now if you think you may be shooting at other clubs or going to big matches, then yes an 18" would be something to consider.

I run a Sabre Defence 16" mid length gas for everything. Local stuff out to Blue Ridge 400 plus. The velocity issue doesn't come into play on the outlaw matches. With USPSA, I make it easily by running XM 193 stuff. Who cares about the drop if you know your ballistics and have a decent ballistic drop reticle. At 30 yards, I'd shot a 14.5 if I could.

Whichever one you can find the cheapest. Seriously, for that close its not gonna matter much.

All b.s. aside, a rifle length gas system will be a little smoother than a mid length. I have both (as well as 20" rifle gas, and all have the same comp) and shot side by side it is smoother. Its not a huge margin, because lets face it the .223 is not known for its punishing recoil.

Dude, for 30 yards, why dont y'all run rimfire matches?

I would get a 9mm with an 16" barrel or if available an 11.5" barrel and permanently attached 5.5" flashider. It would be the lightest set-up and the cheapest to shoot. My Olympic uses 32 round Sten mags.

For Short "Carbine" or "3-Gun" as you describe I have won those with the Marlin Camp 9 Carbine. Drives those ATAS and SWAT guys nuts. I've also done it with a Universal M1 Carbine Clone, which also makes them nuts.

On the short courses you have to remember to raise the POA about 2" to make a good hit, this takes up brain cycles on those rifles with sights right down on the barrel just get some front sight and rock on.

For you 22 shooters aka AR, 16" barrel light as you can get it, so you can move it fast, good trigger you can spank, and a very good comp. Mid Length gas and adjustable block light bolt assembly and correct buffer. Bushnell or EO tech dot.