Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Being Honest

TriggerT

So I started the day off today by going to the bank to get some 5's and 10's for in my cash drawer here at my retail store. I gave the teller a $100, and asked for fifty in 5's and fifty in 10's, which would of course equal one hundred dollars. The teller didn't ask if I had an account at the bank, or for any I.D. Just asking for change, so probably isn't needed.

The teller was a little slow, and I was in a hurry, so when the kind of big envelope came back through the tube, I just grabbed it and took off. About 3 miles later at a light I opened the envelope and found fifty dollars in 5's ( ten five dollar bills) and FIVE HUNDRED dollars in tens (fifty 10 dollar bills). Apparently higher math isn't a requirment at the bank. I almost would have kept the extra money, but I started thinking about how the $450.00 extra I received would probably come out of the tellers pocket, and I know in my heart what is right and wrong.

Anyway, I took the money back to the bank, and when I told the teller he had given me an extra $450.00, did I even get a thank you, NO. All that he said was "Oh, OK." Well at least I can sleep with a clear conscious, but I keep thinking about all the shooting gear I could have bout with the free money. :huh:

I'm actually shocked. You should tell the manager. In this day and age of banks vs. banks, they're supposed to be even nicer. If they treat you that way for this, how are tye going to treat you when you have a problem.

Tellers are hard to retain since they don't make much money, and they tend to get the brunt of peoples other bad experieinces with the bank. The losses are definetly tracked and any loss over $25+/- make 'the list'. These kind of losses make it more expensive for everyone.

If it were me, I'd thank you, and wave some fees in the future - and be happy I had you as a customer.

Anyway, I took the money back to the bank, and when I told the teller he had given me an extra $450.00, did I even get a thank you, NO. All that he said was "Oh, OK."
What a dick.

Nice work on your part though!

be

Several years ago, I was getting 100 singles for my cash drawer from the bank. I got 98 one dollar bills, a fifty dollar bill, and a hundred dollar bill.

When I returned the extra money, they looked at me like I was nuts.

I was afraid the teller would be in trouble for being short $148 dollars, but they wern't, they must have gotten the pack of singles from the armored car company with the extra money already in it.

I think they belived I was a bit off my rocker, from that point on, I also think they threw themselfs a party with the "free" money.

George

Honesty is very good.

Arithmetical incompetency at the bank is NOT good.

I'm just cranky enough to contact the manager of the bank, yes. If for no other reason than the low level of acknowledgement afforded you when you gallantly returned their precious, apparently-unappreciated funds.

This teller was obviously a lower life form:

Airheadicus Obliviousicus <_<

...I keep thinking about all the shooting gear I could have bout with the free money. :huh:

Yeah, but your Good Karma account just got credited for about 10X of that - I just checked. And you differentiated yourself from 98% of the corporate sleaze in America.

:)