Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Top Shot Answers from Mike Seeklander

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I watched the show, and like most have expressed, I am happy to have a shooting show in the mainstream media. When I saw the competators, and the skill I knew they possed, I assumed it would come down to Mike, JJ, or Blake. Guess the reality tv factor was not figured in. The Giant elephant here in the room, that most people are not mentioning, is How can a rifle chambered in 30-06, hit a target dead center at 50 yards, and then miss compleatly, even the surrounding paper at 100 yards?I am not sure about the ballistics of this, but I doubt there is even 1-2 inches of change in the bullet impact at these 2 distances.I think the facts are obvious, the gun, either shot really wacky, or the sight was so loose, it moved with every shot. I think this is very unfair to give one competator faulty equipment, and another functioning equipment. Who is in charge of the weapons on this show?dont they know what to look for in a serviceable rifle? I think Mike handled this very well, and I personally would have been very upset, with how this all played out.Good job mike, You did yourself, and our sport proud, anyone who knows, knows this was more of a test of luck then skill.

Waxman, thanks for the kind comments. As far as the gun is concerned, I am not real sure if the ladder sight loosening up caused the issue. Maybe. I have also been told, that if using the ladder sight notch (while it was folded down), would have caused me to have to aim EXTREMELY low to hit a target at 100. Another thing, I never thought (and he did not tell me), to ask Andre in the middle of it where he had to aim to hit the target at 50. Guess you can blame us both for that one. You don't see this on video, but I shot, loaded, shot, loaded, switched to another position (standing), and shot some more. They edited that out. They also edited out conversation where I basically stopped and kept asking "where am I" trying to figure out where to aim.

Waxman, thanks for the kind comments. As far as the gun is concerned, I am not real sure if the ladder sight loosening up caused the issue. Maybe. I have also been told, that if using the ladder sight notch (while it was folded down), would have caused me to have to aim EXTREMELY low to hit a target at 100. Another thing, I never thought (and he did not tell me), to ask Andre in the middle of it where he had to aim to hit the target at 50. Guess you can blame us both for that one. You don't see this on video, but I shot, loaded, shot, loaded, switched to another position (standing), and shot some more. They edited that out. They also edited out conversation where I basically stopped and kept asking "where am I" trying to figure out where to aim.

Mike you are preaching to the choir on this forum. While most folks, like me don't know you personally, everyone here knows your skill sets and abilities in this sport. For you to not hit a 100 yard target, we all know 'something' was right when you you take that many shots and still not hit the target. You don't have to defend yourself in that respect......it was just unfortunate that it was you holding the gun at that moment. And as everyone here has noted - after both the team competition and elimination competition, you handled yourself better and said all the right things better than most would have done.

You don't have to defend yourself here. If anything, you probably elevated your reputation with this crowd.

Mike, we're all disappointed along with you but not with you. It was a frustrating situation you had virtually no way of influencing, but that you dealt with as well if not better than any man or woman here (certainly better than I would).

Let's state the obvious - we all know you could have hit that 100 yd target with < two shots WITH YOUR PISTOL.

I saw the rerun last night while doing paperwork and I think you did great TV and represented shooters well, so you don't get the 100K, but you still win :cheers: Watching the second time, it was clear to see how the producers laid out the episode and even did some set ups with sound bites that I didn't notice watching it the first time.

I was thinking how hard it would be not getting to zero a rifle and shooting into the shrubs and as noted by many, not really much of a shooting contest with those parameters, but then again it is TV, and TV is about getting eyeballs to watch the show and not the "contest." Getting eyeballs out there on shooting is a win win for those of us who enjoy shooting sports.

Taking time to address the masses about the experience is above and beyond in my book. Personally, I think it was a production mistake and not a shooter or spotter mistake that 30+ rounds were sent downrange without a hit. Given this is their first attempt at such a show, there will be growing pains and lessons learned. Seeing some one put up the amount of money to produce the show is definitely a positive thing, and they more eyeballs the show gets, the better chance for a season II.

Mike I was disappointed to see you eliminated so early because of my own selfish interest. I don't know you but your skills are common knowledge and I would have loved to see you along with J.J. and a couple of others represent practical shooters. I'm sure your bummed that you didn't get to play a little longer but with this format no matter what your skill level you have many other factors involved and you are always just a vote or two from getting the hook. The best thing we can do as a community is talk up the show to our friends and co-workers and take it for what it is, entertainment with guns, and when you think about it that's not bad. Well like others have said your a class act I hope someday I have the pleasure of shooting with you.

Tim

Mike, as frustrating as it was to watch on TV, I'm sure it must have been 100x more frustrating for you not to be able to hit that target. I'm sure the producers were hoping for more drama and name calling calling to come out of it.

You showed great class, and represented the type of character that sets our sport apart from others. :cheers:

Mike,

Great post.

As for going up against Kelley, maybe it's the competitor in most of us as shooters that want to challenge ourselves against the best. Some go for an easy win; some like the challenge of competition regardless of the outcome.

Well Done.

Semper Fi.

Sorry to see you out of it Mike but I'm glad you got on the show.

I imagine it's like a DQ x100 or more. Thanks for conducting yourself with dignity both on the show and afterward.

This show has a great potential to bring a lot of people to the shooting sports and to set an example of how to conduct oneself, both on and off the field of competition.

Winners, not whiners! :cheers:

I have viewed a ton of good feedback, and all is professional. I am ok with criticism, but really don't like those that keyboard criticize in a negative manner. The ENOS forum members have been stand up and I thank each of you for your comments, even if critical, they were all above board. And for those who posted really great support or comments, thanks to you to. Lets watch the next episode and watch the rest of a great show. By the way, the ratings (per the History channel) are great. Non-shooting folks are watching shooting, and that is AWESOME!

UNTIL THEN,

TRAIN HARD

I read and watched with keen interest, but don't quite understand how anyone could possible direct any negativity towards you, Mike. How could you be portrayed, even with creative editing, as anything other than a gentleman of the highest order?

Repeatedly, your response was 'I was shooting, I take responsibility'. Your 'spotter' neglected to take ANY responsibility for his contribution or lack thereof. His concern was for his ass, not his performance.

I have the greatest respect for you, even if you can't shoot a 1903! :roflol::cheers:

Edited by Seth

Mike,

I agree with all the posts above - you represented yourself and our sport with class and professionalism.

After watching the show last night, it's clear to see that it's equal parts shooting and "Survivor"... I did enjoy watching it - and will stay tuned through to the end - but clearly the producers have the challenges set up in such a way as to level the playing field to keep things "interesting" for a broad audience. (How else could they expect some of the less experienced/skilled shooters to be competitive against the likes of you, JJ, Blake, etc??)

While I was disappointed along with the rest of us that "one of our own" left the show early on, it underscores what JJ said at the end of the show... something to the effect of, if someone with Mike's level of skill can get ousted in the first episode, then we all need to be on our toes!

As for your comments about the positive attitude from BE members as opposed to other forums, I have been thinking about why that might be... My thought is that a good portion of us on BE are dedicated competition shooters that feel a kinship with one another - including those at the top of our sport. The competition shooting community is a small world, and after a few years in the sport, we get to know a lot of other like-minded shooters personally. I admit I don't spend much time at all on other forums anymore, because they just seem to be lacking in this respect.

Mike S, keep in mind someone had to be the first one off the show, and someone must win it. So if you did your best at the time, then you keep your head held high.

Overall for the show, it was well put together and I could even get my wife to watch it. I love the fact that they gave you weapons that most had never shot before, it added a stress factor that most shooters have never experienced before. Which made it a true test for separating the truly gifted marksmen from the rest.

Mike, something I haven't seen covered- on the "practice" session w/ the Rem 700, did the coach cover proper dope out to 600? Was it provided before the elimination match?

I've shot over 600 several times, but I always have to cheat and look at my range card!

I just hope they don't eliminate all the IPSC shooters before they get a chance to wow the audience with their specialty. I watched a video gamer show where all the champions got eliminated before they got to their specialty. It lead to a very mediocre show where everyone appeared to be talentless even though anyone in the know knew they were all excellent gamers.

They should have let you zero the gun that you would use the next day, but I suppose the ease of hitting targets at 50 and 100 yards with a zeroed rifle is not that entertaining. We all know you drew the short straw with that gun. My only critique is in regard to your small amount of "training" that you should have asked what all the pieces of the gun were and how to use them.

Anyway, sorry that you have to deal with all the internet trolls out there, but thanks for being professional and humble.

Mike, something I haven't seen covered- on the "practice" session w/ the Rem 700, did the coach cover proper dope out to 600? Was it provided before the elimination match?

I've shot over 600 several times, but I always have to cheat and look at my range card!

That is actually an excellent question. What happened was we shot at 200 and zeroed the guns (we had a pretty decent amount of time, but I can't remember how much). I had the expert Craig working as my spotter and he did a great job helping me out. I basically stayed on the gun and had him call wind and kept making sight adjustments until I was happy with my zero. At that time, I did not know I would be shooting at 400 and 600 also (later in the day was when the challenge occurred), so no we did not zero or shoot at those distances. What they did do, however was give us the dope at 400 and 600 that some other guys got on the guns after we had our 200 yard zero. I think they had some experts on the show that shot the guns and hit all the targets at 400 and 600 yards, and documented the dope they used to do it. My spotter for the event (Bill), then used that to dial me up when I was trying to hit 400 (or at least that is what I saw him do on the video, I was focused on loading and getting the crosshairs on the target).

That is actually an excellent question. What happened was we shot at 200 and zeroed the guns (we had a pretty decent amount of time, but I can't remember how much). I had the expert Craig working as my spotter and he did a great job helping me out. I basically stayed on the gun and had him call wind and kept making sight adjustments until I was happy with my zero. At that time, I did not know I would be shooting at 400 and 600 also (later in the day was when the challenge occurred), so no we did not zero or shoot at those distances. What they did do, however was give us the dope at 400 and 600 that some other guys got on the guns after we had our 200 yard zero. I think they had some experts on the show that shot the guns and hit all the targets at 400 and 600 yards, and documented the dope they used to do it. My spotter for the event (Bill), then used that to dial me up when I was trying to hit 400 (or at least that is what I saw him do on the video, I was focused on loading and getting the crosshairs on the target).

Yeah, it was way too "Survivor'ish" for me. But, I am just thrilled to actually have a shooting show to watch. So, I gladly deal with it.

My only comment Mike was that it is in the nature of many people to be happy to see the smack talker go down. Honestly, you did come on very strong at the beginning of the show. By the end you were humble, respectful, and came off well.

Congrats on even getting on the show.

Thanks for the info, Mike. I appreciate your willingness to share your experience w/ us. :cheers:

BTW, in my opinion, (and probably yours too!) the '03 is many things- one of the most OVERRATED military rifles of all time being one of them. I stumbled upon the forum at Historychannel.com and it would appear many people's love of our Country causes them to look at our past rifles w/ rose colored glasses. Comparing the '03 to most of the other bolt action military rifles of it's time- it comes out near the bottom for shootability- as you found out. (I collect military riles, so this is an opinion based on owning examples of many.)