Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Top Shot Answers from Mike Seeklander

Mike,

Knowing you from the Knoxville days there is no surprise that you have been and continue to be a 'class act'. While no one is a champion all the time (TGO excluded), all shooters can and should be class acts all the time. Part of being in the fraternity.

All the best,

TC

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just a question for anyone on Top Shot. What are the physical demands of the competion? Other than the first episode I have seen no large physical demands. Is it a large climb to get to the Range of the competition. I may not be a big personality but I cut a robust figure of a man. In laymans terms a large caliber, (I just hate to say fat so I won't ) Thanx later rdd

Mike,

This type of rifle was the very first center-fire rifle my dad got for me in 1982. It was also the first that I learned to clean, and maintain. My grandfather and parents regularly gave me surplus ammo to shoot and this was the first reach out and touch something firearm that I became proud of my abilities to shoot. Not having dies for this rifle, each of those bullets was as good as gold to a youngster. I learned the penny on the barrel thing and the four shooting positions w/ importance of weld, and sling use.

One afternoon I was shooting with my brother-in-law and his friend just out of SF school. I was cocky a bit in my ability to hit with that rifle at targets they could not. I thought I was a better shooter, then we traded rifles. Turned out, the SF guy could hit with it too. He had watched me enough to see how it was done, and with a little coaching he got it.

I learned a lesson that day. I had trained with that rifle so to speak, so I knew the ins and outs of how it functioned, where it hit at varying distance and how to use a ladder sight. (Which helped me make expert years later with the M60) But WITH SOME TIME these lessons are transferable. that was something you were not really afforded in this case.

To just pick up a firearm that you know little to anything about and compete with it is really a daunting task. To be willing to do so in front of a camera that will be broadcast around the world for all with a TV to see, well for me that would be a bit too much stress. I choked hard once just because I was shooting with Taran B on my squad at Norco! Now that was embarrassing!

You are a class act. I hope to one day meet you. People like you and many others on ranges around this coutry who show grace, generosity and that competitive spirit, make this sport the refuge from my daily job and housework that makes it all better for me.

Thanks for your responses, and not making excuses. Many could learn a lesson from you.

JZ

• 2 weeks later...

Mike,

This type of rifle was the very first center-fire rifle my dad got for me in 1982. It was also the first that I learned to clean, and maintain. My grandfather and parents regularly gave me surplus ammo to shoot and this was the first reach out and touch something firearm that I became proud of my abilities to shoot. Not having dies for this rifle, each of those bullets was as good as gold to a youngster. I learned the penny on the barrel thing and the four shooting positions w/ importance of weld, and sling use.

One afternoon I was shooting with my brother-in-law and his friend just out of SF school. I was cocky a bit in my ability to hit with that rifle at targets they could not. I thought I was a better shooter, then we traded rifles. Turned out, the SF guy could hit with it too. He had watched me enough to see how it was done, and with a little coaching he got it.

I learned a lesson that day. I had trained with that rifle so to speak, so I knew the ins and outs of how it functioned, where it hit at varying distance and how to use a ladder sight. (Which helped me make expert years later with the M60) But WITH SOME TIME these lessons are transferable. that was something you were not really afforded in this case.

To just pick up a firearm that you know little to anything about and compete with it is really a daunting task. To be willing to do so in front of a camera that will be broadcast around the world for all with a TV to see, well for me that would be a bit too much stress. I choked hard once just because I was shooting with Taran B on my squad at Norco! Now that was embarrassing!

You are a class act. I hope to one day meet you. People like you and many others on ranges around this coutry who show grace, generosity and that competitive spirit, make this sport the refuge from my daily job and housework that makes it all better for me.

Thanks for your responses, and not making excuses. Many could learn a lesson from you.

JZ

Hi JZ- I am slow to reply because I have not been on this topic for a long time! Thanks for the wise and honest comments! I hope to meet you, and if you see me at a match or in Tulsa, please come say hi an let me have the honor!

Just a question for anyone on Top Shot. What are the physical demands of the competion? Other than the first episode I have seen no large physical demands. Is it a large climb to get to the Range of the competition. I may not be a big personality but I cut a robust figure of a man. In laymans terms a large caliber, (I just hate to say fat so I won't ) Thanx later rdd

Hi Bubber! With no intended sarcasm, I did not get to see much of what would be required in the other events! They booted me too soon! I would say if you are in reasonable shape, you would be just fine, but I also believe that fitness it a big part of everything, so hopefully that helps! Take care!

I actually know Mike. I worked with him as a police officer in Knoxville. We were in the police academy together. I can tell you from 1st hand experience, he was the best pistol shooter I have ever dealt with. I saw him on the show and was blown away that he went home after one round. Mike was always a great guy and very humble. He was quite, but polite. I read some of the post that spoke on his attitude, Mike has no attitude. He is just not a very outspoken in-your-face kind of guy. He is good, and he knows he is good. He was always, always willing to lend a hand and help out those of us who are not "blessed" with an eagle eye. I never thought Mike was cocky or big headed. I knew that if things went south, you wanted him with you, and I knew he was a guy you could count on. And if he couldn't shoot you, he could take you out with his hands! If your reading Mike, good luck in all you do buddy. 98-A rules!!

Holy crap, 98A! Nice to hear from you. Thanks for the comments....hope all is well!

I actually know Mike. I worked with him as a police officer in Knoxville. We were in the police academy together. I can tell you from 1st hand experience, he was the best pistol shooter I have ever dealt with. I saw him on the show and was blown away that he went home after one round. Mike was always a great guy and very humble. He was quite, but polite. I read some of the post that spoke on his attitude, Mike has no attitude. He is just not a very outspoken in-your-face kind of guy. He is good, and he knows he is good. He was always, always willing to lend a hand and help out those of us who are not "blessed" with an eagle eye. I never thought Mike was cocky or big headed. I knew that if things went south, you wanted him with you, and I knew he was a guy you could count on. And if he couldn't shoot you, he could take you out with his hands! If your reading Mike, good luck in all you do buddy. 98-A rules!!

Holy crap, 98A! Nice to hear from you. Thanks for the comments....hope all is well!

Mike, funny JBo mentioned this, I was a cop in Sevierville back then and now I'm in AZ. I work with a guy out here that I believe you were on SORT with prior to going to the city. Harold Hayes ring a bell? He ended up going on the road for Knox County.