Stradawhovious

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Very nice, indeed. Great dremel skills, too. :cheers:

How many rounds have you shot with this hammer? Specifically, I'm wondering to what degree durability might be the tradeoff.

Tom

Nice work but I'm afraid that the sear arm going down to the rebound slide is going to be a bit on the delicate side.

thanks all

I have no worry about bottom parts (because light mainspring), more about upper part rupture

thats new gun, owner got instruction about none dry firing without dummy ammo :rolleyes:

itś 6" IPSC revo, will work with shortened 357 brass with 38SA monnclips (no short colt brass here)

post-16286-0-91387000-1328078896_thumb.j

Edited by 4mike

• 11 months later...

Hi, I am wanting to lighten the trigger pull on my S&W 617, its a .22 cal 10 shot revolver. I shoot it DA, so can I bob the hammer like 4Mike's or like Tampaxd45's 686 hammer (I really like). If I lighten the hammer by bobbing it and put lighter springs will i get reliable firing? I am open to all suggestions on how to get a really nice trigger.

Hi, I am wanting to lighten the trigger pull on my S&W 617, its a .22 cal 10 shot revolver. I shoot it DA, so can I bob the hammer like 4Mike's or like Tampaxd45's 686 hammer (I really like). If I lighten the hammer by bobbing it and put lighter springs will i get reliable firing? I am open to all suggestions on how to get a really nice trigger.

Apex tactical sells a drop in hammer for the 617 if that's an option for you, IIRC they say capable of about 7lb trigger

The rimfire is different from the centerfire in regards to lightening the hammer. If you bob the hammer on a rimfire it will make the less reliable. The options are to leave it stock or as alecmc said, use an Apex hammer.

mass_driver_hammer-th.jpg

https://apextactical.com/store/product-info.php?pid3.html

Edited by toothguy

They are really all the same - K, L, or N frame as far as doing the action, except for the rimfire - centerfire issue. I find that I can often get a lighter reliable hammer fall on a large primer gun than a small primer. I think that is because the large primer is bigger in diameter, thus making the center easier to dent.

Edited by Toolguy

Hey gang:

Anything to know on a 686 that would be different than a 625? I need to tune up some .38s and was wondering.

I "Carmonized" the hammer on my 686-0. Used a wilson Combat main spring and shortened the strain screw to work with Fed 100s. I don't have a pull gage but I'm guessing it's about 5.5 to 6lbs. I removed enough to make the total hammer weight 56% of what it was when it left the factory. Whack away...

Can you achieve the same desired affect by bobbing the hammer on a Ruger GP100 and/or Security Six?

If you do a Google search for Ruger and bobbed hammer, you will find info on it. Might be some here. Also, search for, and download the pdf file for the Ruger, Book of Knowledge.

Ruger is, reportedly, stingy with spare parts. The story is you can't get them, and if you break something...they want the gun and then will return it to stock condition.

Can you achieve the same desired affect by bobbing the hammer on a Ruger GP100 and/or Security Six?

The main difference between Ruger and Smith is the mainspring. On a Ruger it's a coiled compression spring, on a Smith it's a flat spring. Theoretically you would get the increased hammer speed by bobbing a Ruger hammer. Their hammer spur is not much % of the whole hammer so you would probably have to lighten a lot more by drilling holes or carving away material to make a noticeable difference. A Carmonized S&W hammer is a good example. This would have to be tried and quantified to get real world results and test the theory.

Also...about the whole "stingy" about the spare parts thing. I have purchased from Ruger, just about every part for my Security Six that you could think of...other than the frame itself :) In fact, I have completely rebuilt two Security Sixes...rescuing them from be rusted piles of junk :)

Also...about the whole "stingy" about the spare parts thing. I have purchased from Ruger, just about every part for my Security Six that you could think of...other than the frame itself :) In fact, I have completely rebuilt two Security Sixes...rescuing them from be rusted piles of junk :)

That is good (refreshing) to hear. Having not tried, that is why I said "reportedly". Do you do anything special to buy pats from them?

That is good (refreshing) to hear. Having not tried, that is why I said "reportedly". Do you do anything special to buy pats from them?

I checked my Brownells catalog, it looks like they have a good selection of parts for single and double action Ruger revolvers. It doesn't look like they sell the hammer for the GP100 though. Numrich is out currently ($25.), it says normaly a factory fit item.

Edited by toothguy