Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

My Chrysler Town and Country

aztecdriver

You know, I grew up working in my Dad's auto shop. Big Chevy man. His Brother, big Ford guy. We all had issues with Mopar. THEN, it comes time to do what I consider the ridiculous - I needed to trade my 1999 Ford Expedition on a mini-van. One toddler, another baby in the plans and it just wasn't working - 12mpg, in and out of car seats. So we start looking at minivans.

After evaluating the costs, amenities for the money, and models available - I bucked my intuition and bought this T&C in 9/2002 - which has to have been the worst decisions I have EVER made.

2003 model, it's got 67k miles on it. Was into the shop 7 times in the first 3 years for the belt system - eventually, I took it back and they said it was out of warranty and it was going to cost to repair it. Had to write corporate and threaten lemon law lawsuit which got them to replace the entire belt train, finally fixing the problem. Brakes have sounded like it was a hoopty since 15k miles. I've had 4 sets of tires on it. Sunroof leaked. Transmission has yet to go out but I just flushed the brown sweat sock fluid once and it shifts like crap so I know that's coming. Sway bar links replaced - now twice - and the drivers side window transmission just blew up. I'm sure I missed several other repairs in there as well. This is the biggest POS I've ever owned - including the 1980 VW Rabbit that I bought for 40.00 and a junkyard engine I put in it for 100.00

It's paid off. I've not had a car payment in 3 years. It serves the purpose for now but I wish someone would have T-boned me in this thing a while ago.

My father retired from Chrysler some time ago. He has owned one in his lifetime...a 69 Roadrunner convertible he bought new. He has told me he will never own another Chrysler product. Sorry to hear of your problems.

They can and do add up in a hurry.

Bear in mind, industry average is about $1200/year on maintenance. Not sure how old that spec is, but it was recently published in one of the repair journals. I think $1500-$2000 is more realistic, depending on the vehicle. Hope that helps you cope with your van...

They can and do add up in a hurry.

Bear in mind, industry average is about $1200/year on maintenance. Not sure how old that spec is, but it was recently published in one of the repair journals. I think $1500-$2000 is more realistic, depending on the vehicle. Hope that helps you cope with your van...

I don't think I have spent $2000.00 total in the 10 years I have had my 2000 Toyota Tacoma 4x4. :cheers: I do my own maintenance but so far I've only had to do the basic stuff (oil,filter,air filter, one set of tires, wiper blades, spark plugs, etc.). I'll be replacing the timing belt in a couple of weeks and looking hard at the brakes. 99 K miles. It's been a damn good vehicle. :cheers:

CYa,

Pat

I owned a '96 Dodge Ram once. Never again.

My '98 Ford Taurus was the best car I've ever owned. We bought it almost new with 13K miles. My brother drives it now and it's still going strong.

I bought a '09 Grand Caravan (new body style) for the wife last summer. Been in the shop two times already, 11k miles. AC went out a couple weeks back (now working after fix), sway bar bushings replaced (front end felt loose, still feels/sounds loose), driver side rear slider had latch to striker creaking noise when closed (still not fixed), compass and external thermometer have never worked from day one (still not fixed), felt clunk in transmission a couple times (not sure when this will go south). I've got the lifetime powertrain warranty (me thinks me gonna need it!)

This is my first Chrysler and likely the last.

I've owned GM vehicles most of my life, but I'm going Ford now. Just bought a 2010 Focus, 33 mpg out of my first tank. :D

Well my last Chrysler was a 50 Desoto and it was a terrible car I sold it to mexico for a taxi ($25) after the main bearing spun and I put a piece of leather in it for a bearing. Those Chrlyser Van's are loved by their owners I guess for the 21 drink holders, but they drive rent cars more than the van because they are always broke.

2007 Camary 91K not one single repair, only oil changes and new tires at 75K, 34 mpg going to a from work. The Camary has more american built parts on it than a mexican chevy. I had a 350Z for a couple years, it was defective every time you romped on it lights would flash in the mirror. It also kept shutting its self off at 155 mph.

When the first Jap cars hit conus they were junk they learned about quality (Earl Demming), now the USA auto people need to learn about quality then we will have more choices.

Shooter ready that Focus isn't really a Ford, its got Volvo and Mazda in its blood.

Edited by CocoBolo

I just traded in a 2006 Town and Country with 120K on it. The only major repair was the power steering rack started leaking at about 110k. Just tires, brakes, and oil changes.

I replaced it with a Dodge Charger.

I know this is a hate thread, but maybe I can help.

When you said belt, I automatically assumed you are speaking of the serpentine belt that drives the water pump, alternator, etc.

There are two main sources of problems for these belts (on any car, not just Chrysler). One is the idler pulley, which either necessitates rebuilding or replacing. The other is a component being out of alignment. If any of the pulleys is out of alignment, even just a small amount, it can cause the vehicle to eat belts at a very quick rate. In this case, you have to find the offending pulley. Sometimes it's easy - you can just look or use a straightedge to find it - but - it may also be necessary to look at each component on the belt under load. In other words, the alternator pulley may look fine just sitting there, but when the vehicle is running and the alternator is under load, the pulley may move, either from a loose mount or warn out bearings.

Too late to help you but maybe it will help someone else!!!!

BTW: A Rabbit for $40????? Wow!

Edited by Tom S.