Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

STI one-piece guide rod

G-ManBart

I was doing some zero work today and the guide rod left the front of the gun at some point. I was lucky and saw it lying in the grass in front of my bag, which I was using as a makeshift bench/rest from 25yds. It's an STI "one-piece" with the takedown hole, just like I have in three other guns. It's clearly threaded and was made as two parts. I cleaned it up and put it back together using the pin hole and a drill bit to apply torque while the head was secured in a padded vise...used permanent Loctite on it. Anybody have one of these unscrew on them before? Should I replace it or what? R,

Edited by G-ManBart

Bart dog, :D

At the very least I would dial up the good folks at STI and ask them about your "one piece" guide rod. I would think the LocTite would do the trick but I sure would check it regularly. Know anybody that might silver solder it for you? That would be permanent.

CYa next month,

Pat

Don't know why they call it 'one piece' guide rod as I can clearly see the guide rod in my Trubor is 'two pieces'. Mine is the same type as yours with a small hole for take down. So this guide rod is not trouble free then? It could happen to my Trubor anytime too? I thought only RecoilMaster breaks that's why I opted for the 'one piece' guide rod?

Edited by vernonsmith

I have had a couple come unscrewed on me. I have also thought it is funny that the one piece is really two and the two piece ones are really three. I have not had one come apart a second time though. I seem to remember someone saying you could buy the head of the GR from Brownells to make custom guide rods. I have also noticed that the broken tungsten GR's I have seen are all broken at those threads.

Well guys, I'm not sure. It took 11K rounds for this to happen, so I'm not terribly upset, but I think I'd rather have a one-piece part that can't unscrew. I e-mailed STI to see what they think and I'll let you know what they say. R,

Over the 35+ years I've been playing the shooting games, all of the FLGR's I've seen have been at minimal 2 piece parts. The head and the rod. They have been threaded or press fit. I imagine that machining one truly "1 piece" would be quite the machineing marvel and really expensive.

Has anyone ever seen a FLGR that was only 1 piece?

R - I had one that just came apart all the time it would go flying out in the middle of a stage but the gun kept going. I put blue locktite on it but it repeated. Screwed it on good chuked it in a vise and took a center punch to the end of it in 3 places around the rim of the threads, it never came lose again and likley cannot be take apart without considerable effort.

I imagine that machining one truly "1 piece" would be quite the machineing marvel and really expensive.

Has anyone ever seen a FLGR that was only 1 piece?

Never seen one, either - not only difficult and expensive to machine, but probably more difficult to prevent stress risers, etc...

The "one piece"/"two piece" actually refers just to the rod itself, not the rod/head combo, but it's definitely not intuitive... :lol: Never had a one piece rod unscrew, personally, but it's still something I check on guns that have one when I clean them, etc... Two piece rods, on the other hand, are notorious for unscrewing unless you use both blue locktite and a lot of torque (the spring itself tends to unscrew them as it compresses and expands...)

I seen one fly out this weekend it was also an STI one piece. I think the EGW makes a true one piece (1578) not sure I will find out and post here when I do. Also Briley makes a one piece but will also find out if it is a true one piece.

The EGW version for STI is the 1578 1 piece stainless guide rod for STI's. This is the guide rod I have been using. I emailed EGW for info if the guide rod is a true one piece or not will post when I get an answer.

I'm 99% sure the EGW is a true one-piece guide rod. I did have to cut a chamfer on the head for it to fit properly in my 1911. It was well worth it not to have to worry about anything coming unstaked or unscrewed.

Talked with the STI folks a little while ago. They apologized and outlined exactly the process I used to put it back together. Degrease, drop of red loctite and put as much torque as possible on it. They said that's how they put them together and told me to call for a replacement if it gives me a problem again. I may still swap EGW's into my guns and keep the STI rods as backups, but I can't complain about their customer service. R,

Bart....you just dont get it :rolleyes:

Man up and fix it with duct tape :cheers:

Look forward to seeing you soon :)

Jim

Jim,

I like the idea of hitting it with a hammer!

What me or the guide rod? :roflol:

Gonna go find my duct tape now...

Well here is the answer I got from EGW.

HI Bruce

The heads are 1 inch long and thread to the bodies, they are locktited together and tightened in a lathe.

Hope this helps

geo

So they are not true one piece either.