Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Loading to division capacity, right or wrong way?

NewColonial

Same thing when shooters only load 6 rounds on a six round stage.

Aside from "because the rulebook says so," why?

Duh, it's IDPA. What else is there?

Because he used an example to illustrate why it's necessary. Except his example describes something that gives a competitive advantage (assuming a Limited Vickers CoF), where as mine doesn't provide any advantage other than a faster Load/Make Ready sequence.

Since a few of you enjoy jumping on the "Because it's in the rulebook" dog pile, I assume every one of you has your local-match competitors load to 10+1 (assuming ESP/SSP) for a Vickers stage that only requires 1-3 shots?

Edited by Gryff

Since a few of you enjoy jumping on the "Because it's in the rulebook" dog pile, I assume every one of you has your local-match competitors load to 10+1 (assuming ESP/SSP) for a Vickers stage that only requires 1-3 shots?

Why wouldn't you? It is in the rulebook, it doesn't get any easier to understand than that. There is an advantage in Limited stage by loading only the required rounds as you have taken your ability to not screw up out of the equation.

I am not sure why anybody would ever want just enough anyway. Feel free to run the risk of the having a bad round and getting that miss. Me, I don't think loading a mag is all that complicated and worth it for the insurance reasons alone.

As you can see from the responses, different folks do different things.

One of the top shooters in the country and a member of various national shooting teams gave me this advice. He loads all mags to 10. When he gets the command from the SO, he inserts the first mag and chambers the round. He removes that first mag and replaces it with one that has 10 rounds.

After holstering the firearm, he then takes his time loading a round to top off that first mag. He uses that time (while just a few seconds) to relax and get ready for the stage.

Another advantage is he never accidently puts 12 in that first mag.

He never uses 11 rounds in a stage that should start with just 10.

So since eveyrone is jumping on Gryff because he's a rebel, what happens when you're down to your last 29 rounds? Or you only brought so much and had to have 2 reshoots and only have 14 rounds left for that day and come to the line with only that much on you? Are you saying that you should automatically get a PE because you were unlucky enough to have to reshoot 2 stages or didn't have any more ammunition? So what if Gryff just removed that 3rd magazine from his belt line? All of a sudden he's legal? But if he puts it on he gets a PE? Seriously, rules are rules and of course they should always be followed, but let's think about things for a minute.

So since eveyrone is jumping on Gryff because he's a rebel, what happens when you're down to your last 29 rounds? Or you only brought so much and had to have 2 reshoots and only have 14 rounds left for that day and come to the line with only that much on you? Are you saying that you should automatically get a PE because you were unlucky enough to have to reshoot 2 stages or didn't have any more ammunition? So what if Gryff just removed that 3rd magazine from his belt line? All of a sudden he's legal? But if he puts it on he gets a PE? Seriously, rules are rules and of course they should always be followed, but let's think about things for a minute.

If he runs short of ammunition for whatever reason, he needs to be consulting his friends who shoot the same caliber.

I keep a box each of Blazer 9mm and .45 in the car for just that purpose. That way he doesn't have to take a chance with my reloads.

I don't think anyone is jumping all over Gryff. We have just made him aware of what the rulebook says and if he wants to avoid getting a procedural he should follow the rules.

And you are right, rules are rules. We didn't write the rules, we just follow them when we play the game. It's really not that big of a deal. The rulebook says magazines are to be loaded to division capacity, so load all your magazines to division capacity. If you are short on rounds, plenty of people will be willing to lend you some to finish.

Say no one mentioned anything about the division capacity rule in this thread. A new shooter reads it, loads his last magazine to 9 instead of 10, or 7 instead of 8. A SO notices it, enforces the rules and gives him a procedural. The new shooter doesn't understand why, leaves feeling cheated and never comes back.

That's a very unlikely scenario, but it's in the realm of possibilities. The rulebook is the only thing that binds IDPA as a sport from club to club, so it's important to follow it.

I keep my starter mag loaded with 11 rounds in my first magazine pouch. On LAMR I load my first mag from the pouch then replenish the empty magazine pouch with a mag loaded with 10 from my pocket. Couple reasons I do this...its the same EVERY time (no wondering where the magazine loaded with 11 is AND I get a free practice reload from my mag pouch on LAMR.

Koski's method is also mine. All my mags are numbered. Mag #1 is my starter mag which has 11. It goes into that handy pocket in my vest. The only time that changes is when I shoot my government model 9mm which has 9 round mags. I use a separate mag that only has 1 round, if it comes out empty then the gun is chambered, then insert full 9 round mag. Other starts require one to read and understand the stage instructions.

If you run a gun with a mag disconnect safety (which I've been doing lately) I've taken to using the Barney method. One mag with a single round in it to start, then complete the load with a full 10 rounder. This has the benefit of guaranteeing that I'll have an empty mag at the end of the stage to stick in the gun during unload and show clear. Otherwise if I'm not shooting a 1911 I use the "11 in the first mag, 10 in the rest" technique.

Like Steve said...

I keep my 11 round mag in a special "starter mag only" pocket, where no other mags go ever. I've kept myself procedural free for many years now with this technique.

+1 when using my XDm - I keep my starter magazine in my front left pocket. When using my 1911, I keep a "Barney" mag in a separate pocket to prevent mistakes. The "Barney" magazine is physically different than my regular mags to prevent accidentally starting with the wrong one.