Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Bumped to open

Sarge

Shooting production. I was having an "off" match already this weekend. I just was not seeing the sights and shooting a lot of deltas and mikes. Then when I unloaded and showed clear the RO says, "you know you shot 12 times at that plate rack". I said, "I know, hell I reloaded once". :roflol:

He says, " I mean before you reloaded". :surprise: Open sucks! :blush:

Been there done that!! My last IDPA match, I was totally lost and got three procedurals and the SO asked me when I got done if I was using the "spray and pray" method. Worst match I ever shot!!!

I've not [yet] had the bump happen... but I do pack along a couple of 20-round mags for my production gun "just in case." I figure I'd still be shooting minor/irons, but it would help. Of course w/ my luck, if I did screw up like that, it'd be on the last stage.

I'm paranoid about my magazine round count... I count out 10 rounds in my hand, then load them counting as I go, and watch the 10-round whitness hole as I put the last couple of rounds in, then they go directly on the belt. I completely unload the mags after using them.

I was SO'ing an IDPA match a few years back. Poor fella completed a 12-round stage w/o reloading. Seems he had barnied up, then put in a barney mag w/ 11 rounds in it. On the following stage, being careful not to make the same mistake, he just loaded up w/ a 10 round mag (thinking it had 11) and didn't start to division capacitity. Well... he didn't make the exact same mistake twice, but I had to ding him twice. We both felt bad.

-rvb

Of course w/ my luck, if I did screw up like that, it'd be on the last stage.

-rvb

:roflol: Thats too funny. It was on my next to last stage which was followed by a virginia count classifier. :roflol:

I will employ a new method of ammo management from now on. After I shoot I will be unloading the mags I used from now on and reloading them out of an ammo box to be sure no more than 10 are on board. I used to just top them off back up to ten but somehow must have gotten distracted.

I'll say again, it sucked! I felt like I got caught cheating. The only thing that makes that feel any better is that I consider the RO a friend and he is a teammate so I know I screwed up and I know that he knows it was nothing more than a brain fart.

Of course w/ my luck, if I did screw up like that, it'd be on the last stage.

-rvb

:roflol: Thats too funny. It was on my next to last stage which was followed by a virginia count classifier. :roflol:

:goof::roflol::goof:

I will employ a new method of ammo management from now on.

A good consistent routine really helps!

I'll say again, it sucked! I felt like I got caught cheating.

I think everyone realizes brain farts happen. There's a big difference between the occassional "oops" and being the guy that everyone watching is counting his rounds. I wouldn't sweat it!

-rvb

another good reason to shoot single stack :P . cram'em full and load'em up! haha

in all seriousness that does kinda suck but i can see where itd be easy to happen. at least you have a sense of humor about it.

Sorry that happened. Generally I will do what another poster stated. Unload the mags I used, grab a handful, count to 10 (or 11 for my start mag) and watch the witness holes as I load. Sometimes, if I'm not sure I'll jack those rounds out and count em and put them back in.

another good reason to shoot single stack :P . cram'em full and load'em up! haha

In all seriousness, I'm more obsessive about checking my SS mags than any other division. I constantly check and re-check them before it is my turn on the CoF.

Why?

Because I want to make absolutely sure that they all have all eight rounds. One round short and your whole plan can go up in smoke with SStk! :lol:

In all seriousness, I'm more obsessive about checking my SS mags than any other division. I constantly check and re-check them before it is my turn on the CoF.

Why?

Because I want to make absolutely sure that they all have all eight rounds. One round short and your whole plan can go up in smoke with SStk! :lol:

you and me both! when im on deck, i pull EVERY mag from the pouches and cehck all 8 holes for brass in them

Shooting production. I was having an "off" match already this weekend. I just was not seeing the sights and shooting a lot of deltas and mikes. Then when I unloaded and showed clear the RO says, "you know you shot 12 times at that plate rack". I said, "I know, hell I reloaded once". :roflol:

He says, " I mean before you reloaded". :surprise: Open sucks! :blush:

I want to say that I feel your pain but I'm not sure which pain I'm feeling. 12 shots at the plate rack before reloading or getting bumped to open :surprise::roflol:

It happens, don't worry about it.

Flyin

Yeah it was ugly. There were three strings on the plates. You guessed it, freestyle, strong and weak. I was not the only one who had problems thank god!

Sarge just think of it as a 10 percent penalty, that is the average % diff on classifiers at the same hit factor. When I shoot production, very rare, I use my dillon plastic cases for ammo and each row has 10 rounds. I put ten in every mag 4 on the belt one in leg pocket to start and the top off in the back pocket and I top off every time, except unloaded starts. In open I do the same thing only I put three rows in, top off for 31.

Corey - mag pouch rule #1 never put a mag on the belt unless it is full or has 10 in production or limited 10.

what Coco said...preshot routines are a good thing, the dillon/mtm ammo boxes that hold 100 rounds in neat rows of 10 are perfect for production, seems wierd, but i unload every mag after every stage, if i used it or not, just to make sure, at the GSSF matches i run Majorsub div. and you can only load 7, so i am extra paranoid there, for USPSA hey, thats why i run in open, cant seem to count to 10....