Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Pro Grip lotion

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I use Erik Wesselman's TruGrip, but still use ProGrip as well. A little on the back of the strong hand and on the palm and fingers of the weak hand keep my hands from slipping off each other (I am one of those w/ very dry hands).

What with using just a little, leaving the Hornady OneShot on my ammo, and using a Uplula loader, I haven't had my ammo get gummed up yet.

• 2 weeks later...

It works to enhance grip. One thing I found out was the first time I used it it caused the gun to grip so well that when I went to do a mag change the gun did not free up in my hand and rotate to get to the mag relase.

I had the same problem and switched to a chalk ball. I ended up needing to holster and lock in before the hand could come off. I now have a stippled grip instead.

• 5 months later...

A giant +1 for post #11. I bought one on vacation and didn't try it until this week.

http://www.google.com/products/catalog?hl=en&q=metolius+eco+ball&cid=13717543293053293257&ei=5RTKTKm4L4n62gS05aXwDg&sa=title&ved=0CAwQ8wIwATgA#p

Completely kicks ass. Put it in a big ziplock freezer bag & you're good to go.

I've always been a Pro Grip user. I can actually say that I think I'm addicted to it, as I wont shoot a stage without using it. :rolleyes:

But, I watched LOTS of guys on the Super Squad at Nationals in Vegas this year bend down and take a handful of DIRT and rub their hands with it immediately prior to shooting a stage. I was hesitant to try it myself, since I don't like to change anything or try any thing new during a big match, but after trashing one stage on day 2, when I got to my last stage of the day I actually tried the "dirt rub" and I found it very similar to using Pro Grip. Not saying that I'd count on being able to use that all the time, but it makes an excellent backup when you are all loaded and wish you had used just a bit more Pro Grip.

I've always been a Pro Grip user. I can actually say that I think I'm addicted to it, as I wont shoot a stage without using it. :rolleyes:

But, I watched LOTS of guys on the Super Squad at Nationals in Vegas this year bend down and take a handful of DIRT and rub their hands with it immediately prior to shooting a stage. I was hesitant to try it myself, since I don't like to change anything or try any thing new during a big match, but after trashing one stage on day 2, when I got to my last stage of the day I actually tried the "dirt rub" and I found it very similar to using Pro Grip. Not saying that I'd count on being able to use that all the time, but it makes an excellent backup when you are all loaded and wish you had used just a bit more Pro Grip.

Chris,

You missed the point, that is the Gladiator move before a good run. It never fails if you smell it first too... :roflol:

I know what you mean, I have been doing that when I am out of Pro-Grip. I haven't tried anything else... There a few options here, so I may try some of them next...

DVC,

Sandro

I use Pro Grip, but I find that it dries my hands too much sometimes. I like to have more of a "slightly damp tacky" feeling. My wife is a pole dancing instructor and use various grip enhancers. (Please refain from any wise ass remarks or I will be forced to punch you in the throat. <_< ) She introduced me to this product: Powergrip

She got it from a fellow instructor. I would like to try some more, but I don't think there is a a US supplier. It gives a slightly tackier feeling to the grip than Pro Grip. I've only tried it for some dry firing, but it appears to have promise.

ProGrip is great!

I'm a big fan!!

i do suggest that you dry fire a bit before you use it at a match..

the kung fu grip does take a little bit to get use too..

also, you might not need to apply before every stage (some people do that).

as for me putting a little bit on before the first stage keeps my hands nice and gripy through out the hole match :D

after a few stages the grip wears out enough to where i can hold on to the gun and manipulated with out getting stuck.

cheers,

Los.

i did pro grip but hated it when i need to do reload. my hand is glued to the gun i cant shift and hit that damn mag release. i have a limcat grip where the whole grip is like a grip tape. not a good combination. i probably just use it with my weak hand for more grip.

i did pro grip but hated it when i need to do reload. my hand is glued to the gun i cant shift and hit that damn mag release. i have a limcat grip where the whole grip is like a grip tape. not a good combination. i probably just use it with my weak hand for more grip.

That's one of the problems with any Pro Grip type product. Also, if you get a shitty grip...you are stuck with it for the entire stage. :lol:

as the poster above have mention, it's definitely easy to over use grip products.

that's why i suggest applying it only before the first stage of a match, go to the safe area do 10 to 15 draws to softent the effect.

and then don't apply anymore for the rest of the day. after the first stage of the day you'll have a nice balance between getting a solid hold of the gun, and still having the ability to adjust grip, reach mag release, etc. and it will last you for the rest of the match.

Progrip has made i big difference in my game, but i learned the hard way to not get carried away it :D

Edited by carlosa

That's one of the problems with any Pro Grip type product. Also, if you get a shitty grip...you are stuck with it for the entire stage. :lol:

Funny thing is i just realized when i was typing this what if i just apply it to weak hand??? :sight: i had it in my bag all this time (3months or so) and never gave it a thought.

Funny thing is i just realized when i was typing this what if i just apply it to weak hand??? :sight: i had it in my bag all this time (3months or so) and never gave it a thought.

I haven't tried the stuff, but I was thinking the same thing. My hands are not large. When I wrap my support hand around, my fingers tend to slip if they're sweaty at all. Having it on the support hand, and maybe just a little on the backs of my fingers of the strong hand might be the ticket. I don't have a problem getting a purchase with my strong hand. But my support hand is often just along for the ride without contributing very much.

i like progrip but i get the Wilson grip stuff at walmart in the tennis section. same stuff and only 3 bucks. love it

You must have awesome Walmarts in Davenport, Iowa ..... because I've checked all the Walmarts around here & the only place I could find it was at Dicks Sporting Goods and they want $10 per bottle.

• 1 month later...

I'm looking into some of the products you guys are mentioning here and until now, Pro Grip was what I was settling on. However, I have a major concern with the lotion's effect regarding reloading mags and handling ammo after applying it. I need a dry and solid grip because live, work, and shoot in central AZ. Even in the winter time the sun outside remains intense enough to cause my hands to sweat. I also have to have the ability to reload my own mags multiple times over the course of a session at the range, and often with more than one type of gun.

Does the rosin bag solve this problem or have you run into the same problems with reloading? I've use climbers chalk all my life actually climbing and that is an option but it does tend to get all over everything. I will deal with that however, if it means my mags will function properly and the ammo will feed smoothly.