Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

I got a brand new Glock 35.... what else do I need?

.45er

I just got a G35 that I plan on using for both production and limited. I am making a short list of items I need to order for the gun. I will be putting a Storm Lake barrel in the gun so I can shoot my lead reloads. I plan on loading some minor and major loads for this gun and am confused at what springs I should get. Can I use a stainless steel guide rod and still be legal in production? I was just going to order a 11, 13, 15, and 17lb spring for the gun but if I don't need them all I won't order them all. I am also wondering if a wolff trigger group spring set would make much difference. Thanks in advance.

If you have small hands, I think the reduced striker spring will make a big difference. For me, if I jerk the trigger, I'll still hit a C or D with the lighter striker spring. Though, the trigger reset doesn't feel as positive or clicky, but I guess that's the trade-off you have to deal with.

Here's what I did to my G35:

Dawson ICE magwell

Dawson sights (black adj. rear, FO front)

Vanek super trigger kit

KKM drop in barrel

Millenium custom grip tape.

Arredondo +5 mag extensions

If I were you, I would do the exact same, except I'd get the classic trigger kit from Vanek, which is production legal but still nice enough for limited.

I wouldn't shoot limited without the magwell and mag extensions.

When you want to shoot production, just remove the magwell and mag extensions. :cheers:

More full cap magazines.

If you are planning to shoot Limited, get at least 2 more magazines and 2 140mm mag extensions to get 19-20 rounds in those magazines. The factory 15 round mags do not hold enough to be competitive in Limited.Dawson Precision, Taylor-Freelance or Arredondo makes them.

That plus sights and other stuff already recommended will get you going.

I would get a competition spring kit because they are cheap (less than $10), easy to install and help a lot with the trigger pull. Glockworx has a good one that I've used, many people use the Wolff kit, and I'm sure there are others. It's a good place to start before you commit to a race trigger.

For me, sights are a must and as previously mentioned the Dawsons are a good choice.

TruGrip is also an inexpensive item that makes a bigger difference than you would think.

Regarding the barrel, I'm sure I'll get flamed hard for this but you may want to shoot a few of your reloads through the stocker to see if you get any leading. I shoot lead reloads through mine with no trouble, but my range sessions are never more than 300 rounds and I get ALL the lead out between firings.

That should be enough to get you started.

I'd go with the 13 & 15# springs.

11's are a bit light, even in a 34 shooting powder-puff 147s. And you run into the problem of your striker spring being as strong as the recoil spring, counteracting it and not forcing the slide to close completely.

A 17 is usually too strong, even if you're running a 170 power factor. Most folks that I've seen run a 14/15# (depending on the manufacturer) with Major loads.

Mag extensions are NICE, please don't get me wrong, but I wouldn't say that they are a "must-have" before venturing out into Limited. 15 rounds is a lot to have in a gun and most well-designed stages have some places where a reload could naturally be performed. About the only time that I notice the difference between my Limited capacity (20+1) and my Production capacity (10+1) is on a short 12-16 round speed shoot with very little movement.

Give me 3 or 4 steps and I can nail a reload with little to no time difference. I ain't saying that I'm a particularly fast reloader. I just move slow.... ;)

Hello: First you need good sights. I use a Warren rear sight and a Dawson fiber front sight 0.105" wide. Use a 13lb ISMI recoil spring and guide rod for both divisions. 4lb striker spring. Grip plug to use for both divisions. I would also get 8 mags and shoot Production and Limited 10. That way you will get used to reloading. Limited is a different game when using high caps that hold 20 rounds. I would also use almost the same load for Limited and Production to get used to the gun timing. I used to run a 171PF for USPSA and a 131PF for IDPA. It kinda messed me up so I went to a 155PF load for IDPA and it was better. Lastly use a 185 grain bullet such as the Precision Moly. Hope this helps. Thanks, Eric

Sights are the big thing to change first. At least 1 140mm mag(2 would be better) would be nice for limited. That will give you 20+1. With the factory mags your going 15+1 so on 8 round arrays, your reloading ever array or going to slidelock with no makeup shots. With steel those extra shots are nice to have just in case

Sights are the big thing to change first. At least 1 140mm mag(2 would be better) would be nice for limited. That will give you 20+1. With the factory mags your going 15+1 so on 8 round arrays, your reloading ever array or going to slidelock with no makeup shots. With steel those extra shots are nice to have just in case

Definitely start with sights. The dawsons are great. Most of us run a thinner front sight. I like a .100 With the little red fiber optic. This paired with a plain black rear sight makes a world of difference.

Well I have a start on things. Ordered a few different wolff and ISMI recoil springs, a stainless guiderod, barrel, grip tape, and a couple arredondo +5 base pads. Should get me started.

Well I have a start on things. Ordered a few different wolff and ISMI recoil springs, a stainless guiderod, barrel, grip tape, and a couple arredondo +5 base pads. Should get me started.

Yep sounds like a good start. You load your own ammo, right?

Yes I do load my own....have a 550B setup. Will be shooting hard cast lead out of this gun. Have been reading and it looks like most people are loading with Clays for powder so I will probably pick up a pound of that to start working up some loads.