Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Sight Question

Boeydafunk

I currently own several different glocks including a 23, a 22c, a 35, and am waiting on the arrival of a 24c. I am going to switch all the sights out so that they are all the same. I dont compete in anything and want a combination of sturdy all black sights that will work well on the guns listed. I Shot some Hienie strait eights and liked them alot. I would get the slant pros in all black, but then saw the sivigney competition sights. Look great. No one I know has the Sivigney's. What say you folks for general shooting?

DaFUnk

Edited by Boeydafunk

What is the difference between the front sight widths...I know what the litteral differance is, but what is the practical differance?

Dafunk

PS this same topic has been posted on Glocktalk for 3 days and I got one smart @ss answer. Thanks for being so helpful

I recently put Sevigny sights from Warren Tactical on my Glock 35 and with the tall front sight...it shoots about a foot low. Some of it could be the sight picture I have always looked for. I actually took the front sight and milled it down until I got my groups moved up. Now I absolutely love them. Being as tall as they are allows you to take some material off..if the sight were too short then you can't add material so that was a plus. All the groups were shot from a stable rest from about 15 yards. Anyone else had that problem?

What is the difference between the front sight widths...I know what the litteral differance is, but what is the practical differance?

Dafunk

PS this same topic has been posted on Glocktalk for 3 days and I got one smart @ss answer. Thanks for being so helpful

The difference in front sight widths gives you more or less "light" on each side of the sight when you look at them.

When I was younger and had 20/15 vision, I prefered a tight sight picture with very little light on the each side. I felt like my alignment could be more-precise because if I saw light on one side and none on the other, I could tell that alignment was off.

Now that I am older (39.95 plus tax, shipping, and handling), I find that having a little more light on the sides of the front sight allows me to pick up an acceptable sight picture quicker.

It does take a minute to get used to seeing it though....

Edited by Braxton1

I like 'em. I had a .245 height front sight on a Glock19 and it shot a little low. Now I have that .245 FS on a Glock17 and it shoots are where i'm aiming now. I use an Uncle Mikes holster, so the front sight is scraping plastic everytime I draw. But the edges are still sharp like the day I got them.

Dawson Precision.

Plain black rear, fiber optic front.

How are these sights at night, how durable are they for daily carry etc. Im looking for one sight to put on all my glocks... so the fiber optic front I dont think is the answer.

DaFUnk

Please keep the opinions on the black heinies and the sevigneys coming

Dawson Precision.

Plain black rear, fiber optic front.

How are these sights at night, how durable are they for daily carry etc. Im looking for one sight to put on all my glocks... so the fiber optic front I dont think is the answer.

DaFUnk

Please keep the opinions on the black heinies and the sevigneys coming

Ahh ok yeah these probably aren't the best carry sights. I mean my G35 has been knocked around and the sights hold up fine, but I guess you want a tritium front for a carry gun.

I don't carry a Glock, so I will bow out now. :sight:

Nope, no tritium front for me. I am getting distracted by the different front sights etc. Looking for fixed metal black on black either the heinies or the sevigneys... just dont know which to get.

I have a G19 that I use for carry and have been playing around with in Production recently (primarily to get more familar with my carry gun). Some time ago, I put on a Dawson FO front sight (.125" x .160") and used the stock plastic rear sight. Recently I decided to replace my rear sight with a more traditional flat black sight. The problem was trying to find one that is the correct height to match the front. I found some made by Ameriglo. I ended up installing this on my G19. The combination of a .180" rear notch and a .125" wide front results in very nice light bars around the front sight.

gl405L_5.jpg

I recently got a set of Ameriglo "Defoor Tactical" sights and I'm digging them A LOT. They're a plain .150" wide rear notch paired with a .115" wide serrated front which is the exact same ratios as Sevigny Comp's yet these sit lower on the slide at factory height and shoot POA/POI at top of the blade at 25 yards instead of a 6 o'clock hold at 25 yards with the Sevigny's, which was the only things I didn't like about the Sevigny Comp sights.

They're a lot cheaper too, use "defoor" as a coupon code at check out and they're like $45 with shipping (if you were going to buy as many sets as you're talking about you might just want to email Rick at Ameriglo since he's a great guy and may be willing to even cut you a better deal).

IMO, the .150 notch with the .115 front width is the magic numbers, really fast, but with all the accuracy intact.

91789340.jpg

Edited by ck1

The difference in front sight widths gives you more or less "light" on each side of the sight when you look at them.

When I was younger and had 20/15 vision, I prefered a tight sight picture with very little light on the each side. I felt like my alignment could be more-precise because if I saw light on one side and none on the other, I could tell that alignment was off.

Now that I am older (39.95 plus tax, shipping, and handling), I find that having a little more light on the sides of the front sight allows me to pick up an acceptable sight picture quicker.

I like the thin front sights for a slightly difference reason. A thinner front sight means more precision on longer shots for me. Since you are not using them for competition, the fatter sights may be a better option. As long as you can see light on either side, you're good to go.

Now were talking... those defoor tactical sights look like the ticket for me. What model are the sights on in the photo? Look good. Im going to get some of these and check them out. Thanks for the relpys

DaFUnk

I have dawson's on a G22 they are black on black, heinie's on a G30 that i recently sold, heinie straight 8's on a G29, they are pretty good, they dont have what i call distracting white ring around the tritium cylinder, realize that for day use it makes em look like 3 dot sights that most like, for me, black on black is perfect, the new G20 is awaiting another set of...you guessed it, heinie's

Now were talking... those defoor tactical sights look like the ticket for me. What model are the sights on in the photo? Look good. Im going to get some of these and check them out. Thanks for the relpys

DaFUnk

"GT-504" set to be used on 9/.40/.357 Glocks... (the "GT-505" set is for the 10mm/.45acp's)

http://ameriglo.net/catalog/sights/pistol-sights/glock/black-sights/complete-sets

Edited by ck1

DaFUnk

"GT-504" set to be used on 9/.40/.357 Glocks... (the "GT-505" set is for the 10mm/.45acp's)

http://ameriglo.net/catalog/sights/pistol-sights/glock/black-sights/complete-sets

I found the sights on their web sight right away, I was wondering what model gun you had the sights on in the photo.

DaFUnk

I just put Sivigney's on my 17 and I would consider having them on any pistol I own now.

Yeah, me too. I just really like these alot. I haven't met anyone personally who doesn't like them alot. Not saying they aren't out there, just haven't met them.

DaFUnk

I found the sights on their web sight right away, I was wondering what model gun you had the sights on in the photo.

DaFUnk

That's a G17 in the pic, but it's not proper sight focus, best the ol' iphone could manage...