Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

625 Cylinder Chamfer

Peter F.

Smith & Wesson won't get anywhere near what Carmoney will do. They would probably still charge as much or more. Send it to Mike.

I have seen a S&W chamfer job and you have to look close to see if they did anything. You will be better served by sending it to Mike.

• 3 weeks later...

I chamfered both of mine myself. There are two criteria for this if you aren't a gunsmith.... You have to be brave, and you have to be ready to send it back to smith for a new cylinder when you screw it up. Luckily both of mine turned out great! (I have lots of experience with working with small tolerances, and lots of patience so I wasn't terribly worries about it) One was done with the chamfer kit from midway, the other done with a cone shaped grinding stone and a dremel (gasp). I polished up both with the rubber polishing tips and again..... (Gasp).... A dremel. If you have the money though, like the others are saying, send it off to have it done professionally. Me? I have more time than money. Much, much more time than money.

Edited by Stradawhovious

And on the other end of the spectrum, the extreme chamfer.

I've actually done this gun three times over the last few year, more and more each time. That's one of the advantages of the old style ejector on a cylinder that's at about the end of it's service life with nothing to lose. ;)

chamf.jpg

And on the other end of the spectrum, the extreme chamfer.

I've actually done this gun three times over the last few year, more and more each time. That's one of the advantages of the old style ejector on a cylinder that's at about the end of it's service life with nothing to lose. ;)

chamf.jpg

That's the way I do mine. My first gunsmith saw it about 30 years ago and thought I was nuts. Now he does them all that much.

• 3 months later...

If anyone can help please do, how much does it cost to have the cylinder of a 625 chamfered and who would you recommend do it? Thanks, Peter.

Peter

Mike did my 625 as part of his package. Clark Custom Guns (Miculek's in laws) did my 627 and a model 66. I think it was $35-40 per cylinder. That was over a year ago, might be higher now.

They both did great work.

Joe

Edited by t0066jh

If anyone can help please do, how much does it cost to have the cylinder of a 625 chamfered and who would you recommend do it? Thanks, Peter.

Send Mike Carmony a email, he does awesome work. Just got my 627 V-comp back from a trigger job..... it AWESOME. :cheers:

Hi:

I also do my own.

One thing to consider is that you are chamferring (if that's a word) to overcome the step in the round from the bullet to the case. So depending on your bullets, cases and crimp, the amount of chamfer needs only to be enough to hide this step.

Don't forget to test with a full moon clip.

Also I polish the cylinder walls with a hone. I've found this helps a lot with the reloads.

George