Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

CMMG .22lr conversion

jwfuhrman

Anyone else having problems like I am? I cant get it to reliably function with the Remington High Velocity .22lr ammo that I have. Every 4 or 5 rounds will fail to extract with this kit.

Gun Im using it in:

11.5 BCM SBR and 16in SS410 BCM Recce Rifle

Could be the ammo, just not entirely sure. Just curious as to things I should try.

The instruction sheet with the conversion says they were specifically set up to run on Federal bulk available at Walmart. They recently went up at Walmart to around $18-$19 for 550rds. I use the Federal, or mini mags or stingers. Expect to clear a FTE now and then, nature of the beast. Any 22 rimfire is filthy compared to .223, and will foul.

A friend of mine had constant feed and extraction issues with a variety of ammo in his 10/22 conversion (different animal, I know, but not really). He started placing a small drop of gun oil directly onto the top round of the loaded magazine, just every so often, and that completely solved the problem. You have so much mechanical resistance and friction with relatively low energy to overcome it with the rimfire, that a little lube goes a long way. Let's face it, the .22 is dirty anyway, a little added oil to the chamber, magazine, etc. isn't going to hurt anything. In my friend's case, it made all the difference. To be clear, we're talking about a small amount of oil here, not a huge drop on every loaded magazine. Just enough to take the edge off.

A friend of mine had constant feed and extraction issues with a variety of ammo in his 10/22 conversion (different animal, I know, but not really). He started placing a small drop of gun oil directly onto the top round of the loaded magazine, just every so often, and that completely solved the problem. You have so much mechanical resistance and friction with relatively low energy to overcome it with the rimfire, that a little lube goes a long way. Let's face it, the .22 is dirty anyway, a little added oil to the chamber, magazine, etc. isn't going to hurt anything. In my friend's case, it made all the difference. To be clear, we're talking about a small amount of oil here, not a huge drop on every loaded magazine. Just enough to take the edge off.

This suggestion was given to me to help with my Spike's 22 upper problems. I have yet to try it, but it is something simple so if it works I will be very happy.

Definitely give the Federals a try. The Remington's are known to cause this type of issue. Also, check to make sure it is completely smooth without a mag loaded. I had an issue at one point with a high bolt stop rubbing on the conversion unit. Finally, some of these kits like to run really wet and others completely dry. Give it a try each way and see if it makes a difference.

Thunderbolt is just a horrible thing to purchase.

Those of us addicted to Rimfire Open in Steel Challenge, who run Rugers, are very happy with CCI SV (Standard Velocity) ammo. I have never had a malfunction with it. Ever. After countless 500rd boxes.

I run Walmart's Federal bulk in practice, and as long as the gun is cleaned routinely it results in maybe 1-2 jams in 500-1,500 rounds. A full box is near perfect, if the gun is oiled and clean.

But my match ammo is CCI SV. No substitutions. Accurate, reliable, and fairly cheap. :)

If I were shooting an AR conversion and it was acting up, I'd try a CCI Mini-Mag for a bit of extra oomph, or maybe a couple boxes of Stingers (which are HYPER velocity) just to see if more force cycling the bolt would help, too. But if it won't run on CCI SV, it needs work, IMO. :)

Edited by MemphisMechanic