Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Dry fire during load and make ready?

Pro2AInPA

It seems to be a common routine for the "B" and above shooters on my squad. Most shooters have one routine or another they preform every time at make ready and no two are exactly alike. My first step is to see if I can find a dot after so many clicks, if it is not there then I can get a new battery before I touch any ammo.

This has been covered in great detail ........ http://www.brianenos...howtopic=104013

Dry firing is fine ...... dry firing with a mag in the gun (but no round in the chamber) is also ok. Dry firing on multiple targets is ok in USPSA, but not in IPSC. They have a "1 target only" rule.

Edited by Chris Keen

Everyone does their own quirky routine. I will say some of the best shooters seem to do the same thing EVERY TIME. From everything I've seen the two best practices I've picked up are a actual speed draw after LAMR command and move the gun through the first few targets to get the sight picture I want (aka dryfire). Everyone is different though so do what is comfortable/necessary for you and stick to it. I find find myself not only much more relaxed but also be more prepared for that first few seconds after the buzzer as I've gone through the motions already.

This has been covered in great detail ........ http://www.brianenos...howtopic=104013

Dry firing is fine ...... dry firing with a mag in the gun (but no round in the chamber) is also ok. Dry firing on multiple targets is ok in USPSA, but not in IPSC. They have a "1 target only" rule.

I wasn't questioning the legality, rather the practice as it relates to match performance. :cheers:

i think im going to start, at least on the stages where my first target is right in front of me or at least visible. there are some where there is some movement required to get to the first shot, not sure how well it'd work on those.

I do, first "shot" anyway, then just cycle through a few more (Glock).

It is a nice routine to get into, but not all RO's are understanding, and I make a point to ask.

Technically you can do the site picture at where you LAMR, but that does not necessarily translate into allowing you a step or two after that to see additional targets. A number of our local shooters also ask if they can take a step or two. Had a prominent shooter at the WPA Section a few years ago that wanted to do a site picture at a different port altogether as the LAMR spot was behind a barricade about 10 feet away. I did not let him move to that port.

I wasn't questioning the legality, rather the practice as it relates to match performance. :cheers:

Ok gotcha.

I wouldn't start a stage without at least pulling the trigger once. I like to know that my sights are not way off, or compromised in some way. I'm also checking the same with regard to my hammer & sear. Just making sure that something somewhere didn't jam up between the last stage and now. Sights have been known to drift, and triggers have been known to bind. In one simple move I know that I don't have any of that stuff going on.

I'm not so much trying to get "grooved in" as I'm making sure my gun works like it should. I don't think dryfiring on the first few targets gets me any extra performance ..... but it does enhance my confidence in my gun & myself. :)

It also gives you a good idea as to what to expect from your sight if you are using fiber for example. 1 - is it there? Didn't come off somewhere before now 2 - depending on light conditions is it like a laser or more dull.

It will throw me a little if I draw and the fiber is gone or it got cloudy and it's not as bright as the last stage. I like to know before I'm on the clock.

i think im going to start, at least on the stages where my first target is right in front of me or at least visible. there are some where there is some movement required to get to the first shot, not sure how well it'd work on those.

Why on just those targets? If I have to move to get a target around a barricade I still practice my draw and take that first step then run the rest of it in my head. Don't get to far from the RO it makes them nervous smile.gif

Technically you can do the site picture at where you LAMR, but that does not necessarily translate into allowing you a step or two after that to see additional targets. A number of our local shooters also ask if they can take a step or two. Had a prominent shooter at the WPA Section a few years ago that wanted to do a site picture at a different port altogether as the LAMR spot was behind a barricade about 10 feet away. I did not let him move to that port.

Is that in the rule book, that I can't take a sight picture anywhere but LAMR location? What is the difference of a start box and the WSB saying starting anywhere in the shooting area? If its anywhere in the shooting area your going to have to go with me to where I want to start, what if I then want to change my mind am I then not allowed to do so? Just asking....

Why on just those targets? If I have to move to get a target around a barricade I still practice my draw and take that first step then run the rest of it in my head. Don't get to far from the RO it makes them nervous smile.gif

valid valid. do you guys draw at full speed when doing this or half speed and with perfect form?

valid valid. do you guys draw at full speed when doing this or half speed and with perfect form?

I tend to back it off just a hair but not much. I think dry fire all visible shots to the reload for me when shooting SS, which is usually the first position so when shooting limited its the first position.

I think it is a good idea to have a set routine that you follow every single time you do LAMR. If you follow the same routine each time the chance for an error is greatly reduced.

A sight picture is, IMHO, critical on an Open gun to be sure the dot is there.

Another Open routine I have used is unload, show clear, hammer down, turn off the dot, holster.

Is that in the rule book, that I can't take a sight picture anywhere but LAMR location? What is the difference of a start box and the WSB saying starting anywhere in the shooting area? If its anywhere in the shooting area your going to have to go with me to where I want to start, what if I then want to change my mind am I then not allowed to do so? Just asking....

Technically, it's the MR (no LA any more) location, but per 8.3.1.1 you may move from the start location with the permission of and under the direct supervision of the RO.

Technically, it's the MR (no LA any more) location, but per 8.3.1.1 you may move from the start location with the permission of and under the direct supervision of the RO.

Rule 8.3.1.1 applies, but it states that the competitior must not move after the make ready comand. If you look up movement in Appendix A3, movement is defined as taking MORE THAN ONE step in any direction. So, technically, you can take ONE step after the "Make Ready" command without permission.

But...its probly always best to just ask the RO.

ETA: we went over this in my RO class.

I dryfire one shot (glock) and then take a sight picture of the next 2 or 3 shots if they can be seen. If I can't see anything, I still draw, dryfire, and see a PERFECT sight picture (on a wall, berm, etc.)...just like the one I want to see for every shot of the stage.

Edited by gunnerBU

At LAMR, I typically draw to my intended first target, unless there's a small plate or distant partial that needs to be shot from that position -- in that case, I'm more interested in the sight picture on the plate or partial, and I might run a quick targeting sequence. I don't typically dryfire though.....

Ok gotcha.

I wouldn't start a stage without at least pulling the trigger once. I like to know that my sights are not way off, or compromised in some way. I'm also checking the same with regard to my hammer & sear. Just making sure that something somewhere didn't jam up between the last stage and now. Sights have been known to drift, and triggers have been known to bind. In one simple move I know that I don't have any of that stuff going on.

I'm not so much trying to get "grooved in" as I'm making sure my gun works like it should. I don't think dryfiring on the first few targets gets me any extra performance ..... but it does enhance my confidence in my gun & myself. :)

Chris, Or anyone else,

If you are in the box, the "Make Ready" has been given, you've drawn your pistol & you find your hammer & sear have a problem. Can you just say "well, I'm not ready", holster, & walk away? I guess what I'm asking is what is the official stance from the rulebook if you get in the box & find your gun is not ready? I can't remember this coming up in the r.o. class. Now, I'm sure at local matches or level 1, that you just walk away & go fix it but at say the Nationals? What would happen? Just curious. Can't seem to find the right rule. Maybe it's the rainy day dull brain but still, anyone have any ideas?

MLM

Chris, Or anyone else,

If you are in the box, the "Make Ready" has been given, you've drawn your pistol & you find your hammer & sear have a problem. Can you just say "well, I'm not ready", holster, & walk away?

5.7 Malfunctions – Competitor’s Equipment

5.7.1 A competitor who experiences a handgun malfunction while responding

to the “Make Ready” command, but prior to issuance of the “Start

Signal”, is entitled to retire to repair his handgun without penalty, under

the authority and supervision of the officiating Range Officer and subject

to the provisions of Rule 5.7.5, Rule 8.3.1.1, and all other safety

rules. Once the repairs have been completed (and the provisions of

Rule 5.1.7 have been satisfied, if applicable), the competitor may return

to attempt the course of fire, subject to scheduling as determined by the

officiating Range Officer or Range Master.

-rvb

As a general courtesy in USPSA, I try to follow the "1 target rule" if practical, just to keep things moving along.

Then again, the matches I ran were indoor matches requiring the 6 shooters on each squad to finish all 4 stages in under 1 hr.

I dryfire one shot (glock) and then take a sight picture of the next 2 or 3 shots if they can be seen. If I can't see anything, I still draw, dryfire, and see a PERFECT sight picture (on a wall, berm, etc.)...just like the one I want to see for every shot of the stage.

Sounds like yours is the same routine as mine.