Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Does anyone have an electronic copy of Steve Anderson's stage anal

Does anyone have a link or copy of Steve Anderson's stage analysis checklist? I have read mention of it in this subforum, but the link Steve posted doesn't work and Steve's website is partially down...

Thanks very much.

Chris

Jeremy, I have always been challenged by stage planning, and Stage 5 this past weekend finally prompted me to do some research. I saw your film on how y'all production guys ran it, which was somewhat helpful. There was definitly a better way to run it than I did. The only guy who did worse than me was the guy who went in and came back out to go the left side...

Sorry- I'm confused. Is the intent of this document to help build the plan DURING the match? Depending on the size of our squads... I'm not sure if we'd have time between taping/brass, etc. Or is this more for POST analysis?

Sorry- I'm confused. Is the intent of this document to help build the plan DURING the match? Depending on the size of our squads... I'm not sure if we'd have time between taping/brass, etc. Or is this more for POST analysis?

Yep. It doesn't have to be a perfect sketch, just enough to allow you to make sure you've engaged every target efficiently.....

Start working the moment your squad hits a pit, and you should be able to knock it out in timely enough fashion, to still be able to tape, brass, RO, whatever.....

Eventually you'll get to a point where you won't need it -- unless you're facing a complicated memory stage....

or get there early to walk the stages and make sketches of them then. then you can adjust your engagement pan as nececssary as you see new things in the 5 min walk and/or watching others shoot.

I think I might give this a shot for a6. Do you basically just rough draw the stage? Do you draw your engagement path or is that what the number per shot thing is for?

Would anyone be so kind as to scan one (or more) that they've done so I can see it in use and not just theory?

Edited by spankaveli

• 2 weeks later...

I like to suggest marking your hard setup positions...with whole numbers. Soft/rolling setups with fractional/decimal numbers. Shooting on the move with arrows or dotted lines. (or, whatever makes sense to you)

One thing I see shooters fail to realize, even after I might preach it to thembiggrin.gif, is that there are only a few position/setup in any given stage... IF... you properly execute your movement.

Draw it out, and you might mark out a small handful of setups/positions. Then, watch yourself on video and notice all the extra shuffling around you are doing. ph34r.gif (it often looks like a bad game of red-light-green-light)

...Draw it out, and you might mark out a small handful of setups/positions. Then, watch yourself on video and notice all the extra shuffling around you are doing. ph34r.gif (it often looks like a bad game of red-light-green-light)

been there done that. Had a tough stage at the Warsaw SS/Prod match and while I had a good plan, i didn't plan my footwork very well. lots of little stutter steps to get in a final position to shoot a certain target/array.

Yeah...

Most everybody does more of that than they ever realize.

Even a quick lean to the other side of a window is going to cost a half-second.

Steve first designed this tool to help remember targets and reload. I think it offer even more than that. You can really map out your path.

Cool thing is, whatever you are using it for, you have to visualize it your head to be able to draw it up. It's a good tool. Show up early if need be and put it to use.

Flex, I couldn't agree more. Seeing a lot of new shooters over the years I have noticed very few actually plan out a stage and how to shoot it. Heck I have been doing this for about seven years now and I still find myself having issues from time to time.

Joe W.

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...
The best analysis, I think, it to show up early and help set-up the stages. When you're hands-on you've got plenty of time to think about reloads and positioning.

Agree. When I show up early to help set up, there's usually lots of chatter about "can you see this from over there? How 'bout over here?" and "Ok singlestack guys can shoot 8 and 8 and . . . " and just lots of discussion on how to shoot the stage goes into setting it up while checking angles for potential pass-throughs and whether or not the short girl is going to launch one over the berm if we set this up a certain way. That way, when I get there during the match, it's not quite so intimidating because I already have a pretty good idea of what I'm going to do.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 years later...

I know this thread is old, but thanks very much for posting it. I shot a club match this past weekend with a shooting area that had everybody working hard to figure out which way to go, until an eight year-old kid asked his dad if he could just run outside the shooting area to the next target array. Immediately I knew "Yep, we sure can", and the lightbulb blinked on for everyone. It was then I realized I need a checklist of some sort to help me with stage planning.